PDA

View Full Version : Moms of non-food allergic kids, how do you feel about kids food allergies?

bubbaray
09-05-2008, 01:03 AM
OK, I gotta ask this. Because its driving me a little nuts. Not just here, IRL too (been in the media this week with back to school).

So, I just wanna know. If your non-food allergic child is in a class/daycare/MDO etc. with a child(ren) who is severely food allergic to a particular food and the school asked you not to sent that food, would you send it anyway?

I'm just wondering what I'm up against when DD#2 goes to school (she had a full-on anaphylactic reaction to fish at 11.5m, it took only 30 seconds for her reaction and dr's have told us, the next exposure could be faster, or slower, they don't know). This was no mild reaction, I'm talking swollen lips, face, cheeks, neck and tongue. Her airway was closing off.

The thought of sending her off to school give me nightmares. I still get chest pains when I see ambulances drive by -- that's one experience I really don't want to repeat.

Anyway, I'd value some honest feedback.

TIA.

Neatfreak
09-05-2008, 01:10 AM
Gosh, of course not, Melissa! Even if my kid doesn't have a food allergy, I would really appreciate knowing that her school has policies and rules in place to protect their students.

bubbaray
09-05-2008, 01:14 AM
Thanks! :)

There were some nasty posts left on a CBC article the other day. Kids need to be toughened up, my kid will only eat ___, so that's what I'm gonna send and your kid is outta luck, that kind of thing. Oh, another good one I've heard is "they just do it for attention, no kid is *that* allergic".

I have a really hard time talking about it IRL. It really upsets me. DH thinks I've overreacting. I think I have PTSD.

mommy111
09-05-2008, 01:19 AM
If a child in class was allergic, I would NEVER knowingly send food that would endanger the child.

Rainbows&Roses
09-05-2008, 01:23 AM
IME, many people without food allergic children have no clue as to how dangerous they can be.

My daughter has a mild allergy, so I can't even imagine having a child with a severe one. So I can't answer your question obviously, but if my daughter was one that was highly sensitive to peanut dust in the air or something like that, I would not send her to school. I have been thinking about home schooling anyway!

On a side note, last year I did a google search for an old college friend who had fought hard for environmental issues on campus and created her own group because as a mother (she was an older student) she was worried about the future for her son. Well I was seriously shocked when my google search came up with a video piece of her on her local news protesting the no peanut policy at her younger son's school. They did a news piece in her home making a peanut butter sandwich for her son. She was just livid. It was really sad that she was using her skills that way.

That and the reactions of my relatives and friends to my daughter's allergy, brought me to my conclusions above.

eta: I would guess not too many kids would be bringing fish to school, so maybe you can feel better about it. But I don't think you are over-reacting at all.

kijip
09-05-2008, 01:34 AM
We have never broke the rules regarding food allergies. Now that T goes to a public school where he can take nuts and other allergens, I am still reluctant to do so.

I also label all dishes I take to functions and events with any serious allergens, often times make one without the allergen and I list all the ingredients on a tag in case someone is allergic to something that is rarely an allergen. And I clean my kitchen between batches.

I can't imagine feeling anything but compassion for kids that are at risk.

motherofone
09-05-2008, 01:46 AM
There is a really alergic kid in my daughter's kindergarten so there is a strict no peanut policy-in fact, kids in non-peanut free grades have to wash their hands if they eat anything with peanuts to keep the oils off of doornobs and such. I have no problem at all with this. None. Ok, Cliff bars were a preschool staple when I was out of lunch ideas and finding peanut free bars that my DD likes is annoying-but not so much that I would think of endangering another student.

kellij
09-05-2008, 01:49 AM
We weren't allowed to bring peanut butter to my son's MDO year-before-last. I had no idea and I sent a pb sandwich. They just left it in his lunch and let me know. I felt terrible! They had a highly allergic kiddo and I thought it was great that they were really vigilant about it and obviously never sent anything like that again!

wencit
09-05-2008, 01:56 AM
NO! If there was a highly allergic kid in my son's class, it would be a no-go in his lunches. DS could come home after school and bathe in peanut butter if he wanted, but I would never endanger a kid's life like that by sending the item with DS to school.

annasmom
09-05-2008, 02:06 AM
Definitely not. Our preschool right now is nut-free. We aren't told about the specifics of other allergies - I think if the allergy was really severe, or for instance, air borne, we would be informed.

I wouldn't dream of sending my dc into school with a food to which another child was allergic. Actually, I decided a year or so ago not to push the whole pbj thing with my kids for that reason - I do sometimes hear complaints from parents whose children will only eat pbj for lunch that they don't know what to feed their child.

I have a question for you - my dh doesn't want me to send the kids with nut products anywhere where there might be other children, e.g., our town pool. I thought he was going overboard - what do parents of kids with allergies think??

kedss
09-05-2008, 02:18 AM
hugs, Melissa-
We have a girl in our Pre-K who has dairy issues and recently diagnosed nut issues, I try to be vigilant about checking to be sure if things are made in factories that also process nuts. I didnt send fruit bars yesterday, because they had been processed in that type of factory. I wouldn't dream of sending anything that would set off an allergic reaction.

Our school is a nut free environment. :)

Globetrotter
09-05-2008, 02:21 AM
I feel really bad for those kids and parents as I can't imagine being in their shoes - how stressful :( I am pretty paranoid about the whole thing so I never send nuts (we're not supposed to anyway) and if they eat nuts before school, I make them wash their hands thoroughly and rinse out their mouths.

As a room parent, for parties and such we always provide something that is allergen free. I always make it a point to check on back to school night who is allergic to what and to what extent. I don't understand people who complain when it comes to something potentially life threatening for another child. Hello, even a picky kid can be trained to eat new things if it's needed!

strollerqueen
09-05-2008, 02:46 AM
Oh Melissa, I'm so sorry. Those people are just cruel and selfish and mean. I can't believe they would knowingly endanger a child's life like that! When did people become so inconsiderate? :(

ellies mom
09-05-2008, 02:52 AM
It doesn't bother me at all either. Of course I've also got the one child in the world who hates peanut butter so it is a bit of a no brainer for me. I'd much rather face a little inconvenience packing a lunch then hearing that a child in DD's school had a severe reaction or God forbid died.

Anyhow, all I ask is that it is clear what is ok and what isn't. At DD's current school we provide snacks and we are supposed to avoid things that could be contaminated. I'd hate to bring the wrong thing by accident so I really wish they had a list of good brands of crackers and such. So far all I've gotten out of them is that goldfish crackers are OK.

KHF
09-05-2008, 07:45 AM
It doesn't bother me at all either. Of course I've also got the one child in the world who hates peanut butter so it is a bit of a no brainer for me.

Make that one of TWO children in the world that won't eat peanut butter :-) DD refuses it too.

I've never understood the reactions of people who aren't sensitive to allergic kids. Seriously, if you want your child to have peanut butter (or whatever the allergen is), give it to them at home. Why risk the hospitalization or death of another child for a PB&J?

There was a little girl in DD's class who had a sensitivity to grapes/raisins. While DD was in her class, she got her grapes at home. I wasn't about to risk even a small reaction in the other child.

egoldber
09-05-2008, 07:50 AM
There were no peanut allergies in Sarah's class last year. There were two children allergic to wheat, and the teacher always made sure to tell me when I was helping out with food events who they were. I mean I knew after the first time, but I can appreciate that she went out of her way to tell me each time. She always had a snack set aside for them, typically something their parents brought in for them.

At her elementary school, they have a couple peanut free tables in the cafeteria and that's pretty much it. I don't know if they would change the policies or not for more severely allergic children.

At the Kindy Open House at her school, I think the number one question and concern for the principal was how do they deal with allergies.

The scariest thing that I have personally witnessed was at a Daisy meeting of all things. For some reason we couldn't be in the cafeteria that day, where we typically met and were in the art room. One of the crafts was a peanut butter birdhouse. I was horrified and said something and the other moms looked at me like I had 2 heads. Sure enough, PB got all over the art table. I insisted we scrub it down throroughly after we were done, and the leader was like yeah, maybe this wasn't such a good idea to do in here. Duh!!!

missym
09-05-2008, 07:59 AM
I would not send anything with potential allergens anyway, but if my kid were allergic it would worry me because a parent might accidentally send something without checking the ingredients. We have received no guidelines at all for snacks, which I *hope* means there are no allergic kids in DD's class. I am not too thrilled by the candy she brings home with every birthday, though. :irked:

Twoboos
09-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Um, NO, I wouldn't send something I knew another child in the class was allergic to! What's up with people??

In fact last night I found out there is a child w/nut and dairy allergies in DD2's preschool class. I asked the mom if it was OK that DD eat peanut butter at home in the morning before school, would it be a problem (we frequently have on waffles as a quick bfast). She said it was fine. I felt better - I would feel HORRIBLE if DD2 hugged the child or something and something terrible happened. But I am going to make sure to wash hands/face thoroughly (not the usual courtesy wipe) before we go.

maestramommy
09-05-2008, 08:02 AM
As a mom of non allergic kids, here's my take:

Well yes, it's a little more "trouble" to find a snack that is safe. But whatever, I don't really care. I would never send snacks that are on the forbidden list. That's just irresponsible, not to mention outright mean.

On the one hand I keep wonderng why allergies, and esp. severe allergies, are becoming more common. OTOH, I think it sucks to be in your position and I'm so thankful I just have to worry about pickiness.

bethie_73
09-05-2008, 08:06 AM
I have not read other answers yet... but for me, no I would not send a food that someone else was allergic. Why would anyone do that (except for the fact that we live in the "it's all about me" culture and some people never think of anyone but themselves :rolleye0014: )

I would hope that the class would be notified, and that the mom wouldn't be upset with any questions, Like can my child eat ... before they see your child etc. Because I would not want the mom to worry.

I know that we are a nut free preschool, but there are no kids currently allergic to nuts, so I'm not as "on guard" as I may be in the coming years.

Edit to add after reading: DS LOVES fish, not fishsticks but fish. So I could be the one mom who sends fish for lunch, but I would never do it if knew there was an allergy, and as someone who is on the preschool board, I know we ask for all of that. Sorry we are not in "school" yet, but I am sure that they need to be a vigilant.

hellokitty
09-05-2008, 08:21 AM
My kids do not have food allergies, but as someone who has a lot of other environmental allergies, some mild food allergies and an allergy to latex, I am diligent about respecting the safety of other ppl/children when it comes to dietary needs due to food allergies. I have friends who have kids with food allergies, I have heard their stories, know that they carry an epi-pen around, etc.. It's serious stuff.

I do however understand how some ppl can be big jerks about this. I belong to another msg board and there is one particular member who has teenaged kids. Both she and her DH are in healthcare. However, they moan and whine ALL of the time that their kids' school is peanut free. What does this mean to her? It means she can't frickin' bring chick-filet (sp) for her teenage son for lunch (why she gets take out to bring to her kid for lunch is beyond me, since the school does have a cafeteria). This makes her upset and she doesn't understand why parents who have kids with peanut allergies can't deal with it on their own!!! :6: Ironically enough, she has a younger baby who has been getting a rash around her mouth after eating peanut butter. I swear, this woman was in denial, she did not want to consider the possibility that one of HER kids might be that child who has a food allergy. The member on that msg board that has a son who is very allergic to peanuts was the one to point out to her, "um, a rash around the mouth after eating a certain food is a classic symptom of a food allergy." Since then the other member has changed her tune about food allergies since she now has a child who is affected by it. It burns me up though when ppl can be so apathetic about situations like this when they feel that it is an inconvenience to them and they act like something of this shouldn't affect them, since it's not their problem.

JTsMom
09-05-2008, 08:34 AM
I would NEVER send my any food that could harm a child, and frankly, I think anyone who knowingly does that should have criminal charges pressed against them. If you know that a food will likely physically injure a child, and you purposely expose them to it, it's no different than using a weapon.

I am fortunate not to have to deal with food allergies with Jason (so far, at least) but I do understand the severity of the problem, probably b/c my aunt has severe reactions to nuts. She has told me stories about people giving her things with nuts in them, and lying to her b/c they think she is just picky. Until, of course, she ends up in the hospital.

I am sure no parent of a food allergic child enjoys asking people to leave certaiin foods home, nor do they enjoy being scared every day. I can only imagine what that must be like.

Can I ask a slightly OT question? For those of you who are dealing with severe food allergies, are there any airlines that offer special accomodations to protect your kids from exposure? When you travel, do you have to just take your chances, or is there something you can do? I've always been curios about that.

mamicka
09-05-2008, 08:58 AM
When we travel, we ask as many questions as we can, & then take our chances. At this point, I've actually just stopped asking questions because it seems that pretty much all of the time the answers were inaccurate or were just guesses.

pastrygirl
09-05-2008, 09:17 AM
No way! I take food allergies very seriously even though we don't have any (known) at this point. Even if/when Toby starts eating peanut butter, I don't think I'll ever let him eat it outside of this house, and am still surprised at how many people DO bring it. I know there are other allergens, but that's an easy one to keep at home.

kransden
09-05-2008, 09:24 AM
When I first heard about severe peanut allergies etc., honestly I thought it was just over-reactive heliocopter moms, and they needed to get over it. (This is when I first put dd in daycare and saw the signs on the door.) As a person that had never spent any time with kids, my reaction wasn't suprising. Now of course I know and would never send anything that would endanger anyone. Not that I would have broken the rule before, but would I have remembered not to send peanut butter cookies that my dd likes to share?

My suggestion is education. The teacher should send a pamplet home with classmates. Talk to the class yourself. Tell the teacher to inform her teaching team. Personally go to the cafeteria and talk to the people there, tell the principal to inform the faculty during a staff meeting. If you see the janitors tell them too. The more people that know, the better everyone will be.

Twin Mom
09-05-2008, 09:24 AM
When my twins were in daycare, they had a no nuts policy. We didn't have to send anything on a regular basis but for parties M&M's and anything processed on shared equipment was not allowed. They had one girl in their class who had to have her own bag of snacks b/c she was allergic to so many things. I feel bad for the kids and the parents of these kids who have to worry about everything they eat all the time. I would never send anything that might be a danger.

My twins are in K now and I sent notes to each teacher when school started to see if peanuts or any types of nuts were allowed b/c now I have to send snacks everyday. Both classes have no kids with food allergies which makes things easier for me since DS is super picky but will eat nuts.

elliput
09-05-2008, 09:27 AM
As a responsible adult, I need to help provide a safe environment for all children. Respecting dietary restrictions is just one way I can do this.

bubbaray
09-05-2008, 09:36 AM
I have a question for you - my dh doesn't want me to send the kids with nut products anywhere where there might be other children, e.g., our town pool. I thought he was going overboard - what do parents of kids with allergies think??

Personally, I don't send peanut products anywhere, but its easy for me as we have none in the house (DD#2 has tested +ve to peanuts, eggs and mildly to almonds, as well as the obvious finned fish allergy). I would, however, feel OK about sending a product that "may contain" or was "processed in a plant" out in the general public. Obviously, I wouldn't send those kinds of items to a place where I knew there were children who were allergic.

bubbaray
09-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Can I ask a slightly OT question? For those of you who are dealing with severe food allergies, are there any airlines that offer special accomodations to protect your kids from exposure? When you travel, do you have to just take your chances, or is there something you can do? I've always been curios about that.

I'm in Canada. Air Canada (which I hated before) won't help at all. I can't remember if they still serve peanuts on board or not.

Westjet (I *heart* WestJet) is wonderful. I know a family IRL who has a little boy with severe peanut allergies. They wanted to fly to Disneyland as a family, it was their first plane trip with him. The airline made a pre-boarding announcement asking passengers not to bring peanuts on board due to allergies, they said it again in flight and, obviously, they didn't serve peanuts.

I have called WestJet myself and they are able to accommodate a fish allergy as they don't serve fish on board. The harder part is what other food passengers bring on board. All they can do is ask them not to. But, they are very willing to help.

With airline service cut-backs, the airlines themselves are less of the issue. Its really more about the other passengers and what food they bring on board.

bubbaray
09-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks ladies! :)

mytwosons
09-05-2008, 09:45 AM
My DS1 has multiple food allergies and has to carry epi pens. Before he had allergies, I always tried to make sure I brought allergen-free snacks and treats.

In my experience, most parents are now understanding about food allergies. He doesn't react to airborne particles, or have a contact reaction. He must ingest the food. My son knows what he is allergic to, and if something is offered to him, he asks if he is allergic to it. If there is any doubt, he doesn't want to eat it, because he doesn't want to get sick or have a shot.

That said, we have come across some people who's lack of empathy completely disgusted me. His first preschool was bad for a variety of reasons, but the teacher actually brought in cupcakes for her birthday that he couldn't eat. Now, I know he won't be able to eat things like that, but for pete's sake, tell me and I'll bring a cupcake he can eat! On a positive note, there was one mother at this school who actually bought an allergen-free mix so my son could have the same cupcake as everyone else. The kindness of people like that goes a long way!

Our public school is nut-free. At Safety Town (run by comm. ed.), they gave the no-nut-speil on the first day, but then did a great job telling a story to personalize the issue and explain how parents of kids w/allergies have to worry about their child dying at school. I was very impressed with the woman who did the orientation...the story she told was of how she was in the front office when an irate parent came to argue the no nut rule. He was very upset and rude, and then the woman noticed a mom crying in the office. The mom had a child w/severe allergies and was listening to this jerk go off. I did hear of one mom complaining to a friend after the orientation, but the story seemed to nip any formal complaints in the bud, and helped parents understand the issue. I think education from the school is key!

This issue, and the lack of understanding from some people, really burns me up. I'm not normally confrontational, but when I hear people complaining about their kids' lunches, I do pipe up that I appreciate it because my son is allergic. (I'm hoping putting a face to the issue helps.) If someone is really a jerk, I've come back with "well, I'm sorry you are stressed about what your child will eat for lunch, but at least you don't have to worry about them dying at lunch."

jhrabosk
09-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Make that one of TWO children in the world that won't eat peanut butter :-) DD refuses it too.

Make that 3! I'm so glad to know I'm not alone. :) In fact, my DD strangely says it makes her mouth hurt, so we're trying to keep an eye on it (although she tested negative for peanuts during an allergy screen).

I would never purposely send an allergic food an endanger a child although, I must admit, since my child isn't allergic sometimes I'm absent-minded about it. I need to get better before she starts public school.

My biggest issue with food allergies is WHY? Why do they seem to have become so prevalent and so deadly? It just wasn't like this when I was a kid and I feel like it's a big issue that needs greater attention.

pb&j
09-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Of course I wouldn't! DS used to have a classmate who had an egg allergy, and I happily sent in egg-free baked goods a time or two. And every time I send a home-baked goodie, I always put a sticky on it listing the ingredients, just in case. Each room has a list of all the kids and which allergies they have, if any.

The other parents I've talked to are similarly conscious.

HIU8
09-05-2008, 10:25 AM
I would not send DS or DD to school with a food item that was restricted b/c of a child(ren) with an allergy. I am highly allergic to shellfish so I am more sensitive to it. Plus, DS was in a home daycare where the owners own child had a severe nut allergy (peanuts plus about 5 others). Everything had to be nut free (we got really good at doing research and reading packages).

lizajane
09-05-2008, 10:26 AM
In our school, we have a number of peanut free rooms. No one in the class is allowed to bring any peanut product. Dylan was in this sort of room last year. I NEVER sent any peanut product. However, at the Mom's insistance that it was ok, we could send foods made in the same plant as peanut products.

My BFF's son is in a peanut/mustard free room. The child has a severe allergy to nuts and cannot even touch a product that has come in contact with nuts. The parent brought in a letter explaining the life threatening allergy, where nuts/mustard might be "hidden" in products, some commonly used snacks/foods that are safe and a request that foods processed in plants with nuts or mustard not be brought to class. NO ONE would bring the forbidden foods to school. The danger is respected.

As far as preschool goes, where classes are small and teachers have control over lunchtime, I would keep the class parents well informed, educate the teachers and then take a deep breath. I can't imagine how it would be in elementary where they are just SO many kids- I am so sorry you have to face that challenge!!! But as for me, I would never compromise another child for my convienience.

(And FWIW, my child goes to school with an epi pen for a fire ant allergy. He was not anaphylatic, but his entire body was covered in large, swollen hives after an ant bite and it stayed that way in spite of benedryl and even took a while to "de-puff" after the steroid shot at the dr's office. So while I can't imagine the challenges of food allergies, as food is EVERYWHERE, I do understand the fear of an allergic reaction. Dylan's was so severe, the peds highly fear anaphylactic shock on his next bite.)

-forgive my spelling if i got it wrong!-

cdlamis
09-05-2008, 10:31 AM
I think most parents are understanding and compassionate but still somewhat clueless about the allergy.

Case in point, I ran a large children's program at my church a few years ago (after I had DD#1). One girl had a severe nut allergy which I knew about and was informed of by the parents. I was very cautious to never buy anything with nuts. One night, I bought a bunch of cookies, read the labels, put the cookies out for the kids but threw away the wrappers thinking "I checked, its ok". At the time, I was surprised (but not irritated at all) when the child still could not eat the cookies even though I checked.

Now, as a new parent of a child w/ peanut allergy (DD#2), I look back and am horrified at my assumptions back then. I truly wasn't trying to be lax about it nor was I brushing it off- I understood the magnitude and still assumed I was being safe. Now, it reminds me of the mindset that most parents are in when it comes to food allergies. Its just not in the forefront of their minds as it is for the parents with food allergies.
Hope this makes sense.

hillview
09-05-2008, 10:38 AM
First off I feel HORRIBLE for parents of kids with allergies. I am so blessed we don't have this issue and I apprecuate that.

That said, yes I do find it harder as a parent packing lunch to find something when there are a ton of allergies.

Things that would help me are a LIST of what cannot be served in the class (current preschool has said, peanuts are a no, the kids are allergic to tree nuts but they are ok as long as kids don't share, one kid has a dairy allergy but we should be ok; um okay what in the world does that mean???). I want something written or at least posted that I can look at (or email me -- we have a list!).

Also from his camp this summer, there were a ton of allergies and as our first time at camp/day care/school I couldn't figure out what I could pack. So maybe some ideas for novices would be nice. For example -- what are tree nuts? Someone we could use sunflower seed butter instead (SCORE!). So if you had some tips or a tips sheet that would go a long way for me (not that you are at ALL responsible for this ... just a thought).

I'd NEVER ever send something knowingly -- but a list of what isn't ok and what IS ok. Would be also helpful for you or the school to come up with some simple explination to tell DC about the situation. I am using these foods make another child (I don't want to call someone out ??) really really sick so they can never go to school etc. Is that "right"?

Thanks --sorry for the LONG answer :)
/hillary

/hillary

egoldber
09-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Someone we could use sunflower seed butter instead (SCORE!).

Just a word to the wise on this. Sarah's camp classroom was peanut free this year. No problem for us since Sarah is also on of those kids who does not like peanut butter. She DOES like soynut butter. The first time I packed it I put a note with it explaining it was NOT PB it was SB. The second time I sent it I forgot the note. Sarah came home and told me the counselors sat and had a debate about her sandwich until she told them several time it was NOT PB because she doesn't even like PB. So if you do use the sunflower seed butter, be prepared to write a note about it. :)

hillview
09-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Just a word to the wise on this. Sarah's camp classroom was peanut free this year. No problem for us since Sarah is also on of those kids who does not like peanut butter. She DOES like soynut butter. The first time I packed it I put a note with it explaining it was NOT PB it was SB. The second time I sent it I forgot the note. Sarah came home and told me the counselors sat and had a debate about her sandwich until she told them several time it was NOT PB because she doesn't even like PB. So if you do use the sunflower seed butter, be prepared to write a note about it. :)

Right -- I forgot to mention to add a yellow sticky to the item indicating WHAT it is. I need to go to Target!
/hillary

brittone2
09-05-2008, 11:19 AM
DS isn't in school/preschool, but I would do everything necessary to help the food-allergic kids in his classroom if he was in school. I've worked with many kids with food allergies and I consider it a special need that needs to be accommodated like any other special need.

We do the same when we have vegan friends over etc. Obviously that's not life-threatening, but out of respect for other families, we always accommodate and are happy to do so.

jren
09-05-2008, 11:23 AM
If asked not to bring in a certain food, I wouldn't bring it. My DD doesn't have allergies, but it still bugs me when I hear parents gripe about no peanut butter b/c that's all their kid will eat. There are so many foods out there, if a child is hungry enough he will eat. I'd just send a slice of plain bread and feed him a PB sandwich in the car on the way home if it came to that. One child's food "preference" isn't more important than another's health and possibly life.

THis year, in DD's preschool class, there's a little boy who's allergic to EVERYTHING. Seriously, I feel so bad for him and his mom b/c she really has so much extra work. I think his is nuts, wheat, eggs, maybe even milk. She gave us a list of approved items, by brand name. It's a short list. So, if I bring in a treat for the class, I'll be sure to bring something for him.

One of the class projects this week was icing a cookie. So the mom had to make a cookie at home and the teacher had to make sure that he iced his first so that the other kids dipping in the icing didn't get a crumb of their cookie in the icing that he took. I think his is contact as well.

We are no nuts in the class, but wheat and other stuff is allowed. The mom said if we have cake or cupcakes for bdays, don't worry about him, she will bring something for him and he knows he can't eat that stuff. Still, I feel so bad for him and you could really tell his mom was pushing herself out of her comfort zone to advocate for her son. I know her job will only get harder as he heads to elem school.

MelissaTC
09-05-2008, 11:38 AM
DS had been in preschool with a boy that was allergic to a lot of foods but especially tree nuts. The preschool decided to go nut free. It forced DS to eat other things but also made him more empathetic, I think. He would eat pb at home and tell me that B couldn't eat it because he was allergic. He asked what that meant and how he could be helpful to his friend.

His elementary school is completely nut free. The entire campus is, including the fields and playground. The principal's daughter died in college from an allergic reaction to peanuts and he felt that no family should have to go through what they did. I have no problem with that. I check labels and M knows to wash his hands and face before he leaves for school if he has pb in the morning.

bubbaray
09-05-2008, 05:48 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for all the responses. Thank you so much. I definitely feel so much better now. I do think the "I'm gonna send my kids normal food and your kid has to just suck it up and live with it" attitude is hopefully rare.

I'm also hoping that there are very few kiddos who like fish or bring it to school. :ROTFLMAO:

Laurel
09-05-2008, 06:24 PM
We deal with food intolerances (not allergies). I spend enough time over at the KFA boards to know I would do just about anything in order to make sure another child was safe at my child's school.

niccig
09-05-2008, 06:50 PM
No way. A boy in our playgroup is severely allergic to peanuts. I've babysit him and been instructed in the use of his epi pen. I hope to never need to use it. I need to swap DS over to another form of butter for his PBJ.

linsei
09-05-2008, 06:51 PM
I have not read all the replies, but I would absolutely comply with any food rule. Ds1 is currently an everyday pb&j eater, and I would love to have the opportunity to break him of that. I mean seriously, can't you just have a turkey sandwich once in a while?

I did want to point out that the people I know IRL with allergic kids are really careless about their dc's allergies. One has been hospitalized 3 times, the first time the mom told me she just does not think to read labels, and she never thought that a kashi cookie would have nuts. The most recent time the dad told me practically everything in her Easter basket had peanut butter. I mean, you would think they would be a little more careful by the third hospital admission.

It's not just that example either. I know someone else that let their dd try other nuts besides peanuts on a regular basis, and they really only get worried if she has a funny feeling in her mouth. Fine, but her reactions are getting more significant each time. I don't get it.

I would be the nut gestapo if one of my kids were allergic.

squimp
09-05-2008, 07:06 PM
This might sound weird, but I appreciate having kids with food allergies in DD's class. It has taught her empathy. She won't eat strawberries or peanuts because her little friends cannot.

s7714
09-05-2008, 07:13 PM
I absolutely do not send food containing a allergen if someone in DDs class is allergic. Our whole preschool is nut-free and it stressed me out last year. I thoroughly scoured every label on class snacks we brought in. And I was afraid to send homemade stuff for DDs birthday class snack as we eat a lot of nut stuff at home. I'm not as stressed about it this year but am still concerned and wary.

I was actually shocked that my DDs elementary school hasn't said anything about allergens. I figured in a school that big there'd have to be someone with strong nut allergies but either there isn't or they only deal with it on a class by class basis. I asked DDs teacher at the meet and greet if it was going to be o.k. for my DD to bring food containing peanut butter and she seemed pleasantly surprised that I'd even thought to ask since no one else had.

MamaMolly
09-05-2008, 07:20 PM
I did want to point out that the people I know IRL with allergic kids are really careless about their dc's allergies. One has been hospitalized 3 times, the first time the mom told me she just does not think to read labels, and she never thought that a kashi cookie would have nuts. The most recent time the dad told me practically everything in her Easter basket had peanut butter. I mean, you would think they would be a little more careful by the third hospital admission.

It's not just that example either. I know someone else that let their dd try other nuts besides peanuts on a regular basis, and they really only get worried if she has a funny feeling in her mouth. Fine, but her reactions are getting more significant each time. I don't get it.

Sadly I suspect that they are in a deep, deep case of denial. It happens, and it is a scary thing to observe. And I think some people just rely too much on the Epi or the ER to get them out of a bad situation. And sometimes, as my mama says, common sense ain't common enough.

It could also be that they didn't get very good education from their pediatrician or allergist. We didn't. We were basically told the foods DD couldn't eat, given a perscription for an Epi and sent on our merry way. Everything else I've had to learn by myself. And there is an awful lot to 'everything else'.

SnuggleBuggles
09-05-2008, 07:32 PM
I haven't read the pages of other replies yet but I would not send a food that I knew was an allergen for another child. At our kindergarten orientation some parents were bothered with the idea of not being allowed to send PB&J sandwiches in but the teachers quickly explained why it just wasn't ok. They discussed how even if a trace of PB gets on the table and missed during clean up then an allergic child is exposed to it later it could be bad. They said they have seen anaphylatic shock before and hope to never see it again.

After Halloween I know that at least one parent sent in peanut M&Ms and they were confiscated and all parents were reminded of the policy. I think there was one family that repeatedly forgot the rule but I don't think it was intentional.

Beth

saschalicks
09-05-2008, 07:42 PM
We have a child in Eli's class that is gluten and dairy allergic. We were not asked not to bring those items, but the school has a very strict no sharing policy. I think in your case you have to just find a school that has stricter policies.

To answer your question: would I bring if I was told not to? No way! I'd abide by the request IF it was made.

ETA: I have picky eater kids that I wish would eat more variety, but I fear that if dairy was taken we'd be in big trouble.

ilfaith
09-05-2008, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't dream of sending any foods containing allergens if anyone in the class had a reaction. My boys' school is peanut and tree nut free (as well as kosher) and we did get a pretty comprehensive list of unacceptable foods at the beginning of the year (including brand name items...I could probably have someone from the school office email it to me to post here). We are not allowed o bring in homemade treats for the class. Cupcakes or cookies must be store-bought with an ingredient label (which may have as much to do with the laws of kashrut as much as potential allergens).

We are fortunate enough not to have any food allergies in our household (at least none diagnosed as yet). I have a friend whose husband is a pediatric allergist, and he certainly seems busy, so I know how prevalent they are. I know several children with nut allergies, and just as many with wheat, egg and dairy issues. My niece is fine with wheat, but is allergic to rice, oats and white potatoes (so much for the typical first foods introduced to baby). With so many children with different sensitivities, it can be daunting to plan a party menu. I remember last year we went to a friend's third birthday and they didn't serve a cake (he has wheat and egg and dairy allergies). DS (and DH) commented on it, but they did have some sort of non-dairy frozen dessert (as I recall at his second birthday party they did serve some sort of wheat/egg/dairy-free cupcakes that didn't go over particularly well among the kids).

mytwosons
09-05-2008, 08:33 PM
I don't have one handy, or I'd post it, but our school nurse was responsible for creating a list of approved snacks. The school is nut-free, which means the snack can't even be processed on the same equipment as something containing nuts. So, if you are looking for a list of ok snacks (as several posters mentioned), I'd contact the principal or school nurse. I think it definitely makes things easier for parents when they know exactly which brands and items are safe.

chinook
09-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I think there should be serious and severe consequences to parents who pack little Billy off to school with a PB&J when they know they're forbidden. That's just sickening and disheartening.

It's so typical of someone who just *cannot*, even for a MINUTE, put themselves in someone else's shoes.

My SIL has a terrible nut allergy but that doesn't stop my MIL from having a little bowl of nuts passed around the supper table "in case anyone wants them on their salad". Like, what the h*ll?!

C99
09-05-2008, 11:53 PM
I have two good friends w/ peanut-allergic kids, so I think I am more aware of/open to food restrictions than most people. I read food labels very carefully anyway, and I think I am good at accommodating the allergies in what I serve or bring over when the kids w/ allergies are around. I do comply with food restrictions at school, although I will say that I find that PB-free processed foods are often high in HFCS and hydrogenated oils, which are two ingredients that *I* avoid for *my* family's health.

DrSally
09-05-2008, 11:58 PM
It's nice to read these responses. I too have heard or read somewhere callous and mean parents saying they would still pack pb sandwhiches and one even said they'd tell their child to smear pb on the wall. I don't remember the source, but I'm sure it was anonymous. It made me sick. Maybe people who say these things are just expressing their frustration/self centeredness and lashing out verbally. Hopefully they would never act on it or teach their child such behavior and attitude toward others. I'd like to think that most parents are like the moms here--compassionate and thoughtful!

ETA: Melissa, I can understand if you live in fear of anaphalaxis or have actually witnessed it in your DD, that you could have PTSD! I think there was an article about parents or family members going through clinical PTSD after having to admin epipen. PTSD is being recognized for more things nowadays other than just combat, like traumatic labor and delivery.

gatorsmom
09-06-2008, 12:18 AM
I can't imagine the fear you must feel! At the last school Gator went to last year and now this new school he's starting in the fall, there has only been peanut restrictions on specific rooms and not always the ones Gator was in. But I have never seen a reason to send pb or peanut products with him. There's no good reason to since there are so many wonderful peanut-free products. We use sunflower butter (which I think pb-allergic people can eat) in our house. I just don't think the teachers should have to have that responsibility of policing all snacks and such. If other parents tried to put themselves in your shoes and respectfully refrained from those products that would illiminate the need to be vigilant altogether (at least it would help a lot).

newmomto1
09-06-2008, 01:02 AM
There were some nasty posts left on a CBC article the other day. Kids need to be toughened up, my kid will only eat ___, so that's what I'm gonna send and your kid is outta luck, that kind of thing. Oh, another good one I've heard is "they just do it for attention, no kid is *that* allergic".

Yikes!
Seriously??????
I am already a wreck about sending DD out into the real world without me. She's allergic to milk, eggs, & peanut.

Prior to her I was always SO careful about what I sent for DS.
...more to worry about :(

salsah
09-06-2008, 01:23 AM
absolutely not. i wouldn't send it not only because the school asked me not to but more importantly because i wouldn't want to risk a child having a reaction. even though my dc, thank god, do not have any known allergies (i am so terrified that they may be allergic to something that we don't know about yet) i get really upset with people who don't take allergies seriously. since dd has some friends w/ allergies, i am constantly asking their parents for permission to give their kids certain foods -- i am so afraid that i will forget who is allergic to what or that i won't realize that a particular food has an ingredient in it that the child is allergic to. i have also told my dd that before she shares her food with another child, she needs to ask an adult first to be sure that it is ok for that child to eat it.

almostamom
09-06-2008, 02:02 AM

My DS' allergy to nuts is life threatening. We just took our first plane ride with him last month. Southwest Airlines was wonderful about it. We called them when we made the reservation and told them of his allergy. We told the agent at the gate prior to boarding. He filled out a form and no peanuts were served on that flight. Instead, everyone was given an apple flavored cereal bar. This didn't stop people from bringings nuts on the plane, but at least they didn't serve them to everyone. We were able to preboard so that I could wipe down the seats, trays, and window. A friend is a pilot for a different airline. He suggested booking the first flight of the day since the planes were cleaned overnight. It's not a guarantee, but it helps.

Eating out is tough on vacation. We make sure that we book a hotel with a kitchen in the room or we rent condos so that I can prepare at least some of DS' meals. We did still eat at a restaurant at least once each day. I'm to the point now that I just ask the server or hostess to send the manager over, but that doesn't always work. We had one waiter who refused to look up the ingredients of the meal we wanted to order for DS. He was sure it would be okay. I asked for the manager and he also said not to worry, it would be okay, but he wouldn't bring me to box to read the ingredients and at that point I didn't trust him to read it. We walked out. BTW, this was at a very well known chain restaurant. We had a waitress at another restaurant who knew about the allergy and twice brought something to the table and said, "Now this has some nuts/nut oils in it, so be careful." Each time we told her to remove it from the table. UGH!

It's really hard when people don't understand how serious this is. I have food allergies that just cause a rash or an itchy throat. That's not a big deal, but DS' allergy could cause him to stop breathing. I watched him have one reaction during a food challenge in the doctor's office. It was horrible. I never want him to experience anything like that again.

I haven't read all the responses on this thread, but all of the ones I have read so far have been so kind and understanding. How I wish my son could go to school with all of your children. I must say that the parents in his preschools have been very understanding so far, but I dread the day he is expected to eat in a cafeteria. Seriously, I am considering homeschooling him when he's in kindergarten just because I know he won't know what is safe and what isn't and I'm terrified of an accidental exposure.

almostamom
09-06-2008, 02:34 AM
First, as the mama of a child who is anaphylactic (nuts) and is also allergic to mustard, strawberries, and oranges, thank you for your compassion. It means so much to the parents of children with allergies to know that other people care and want to do anything to help avoid a reaction.

Some people on here have mentioned that they would like to have a list of either safe foods or foods to avoid. Here's the problem with providing a list. While the ingredients of a particular food may not change, the other foods that are made in that same facility can change. For example, for 2 years I bought the store brand version of Nilla Wafers at my local grocery store. I read the label and they were safe. A few months ago the label changed and now reads "processed in a facility where peanuts/treenuts are present". When I called them, I was told that some new products containing nuts where now made at that facility. I do provide DS' teachers with a list of recommended foods (they provide lunch and snacks), but they also know to read every label every time they shop because they can always change.

I do have a list of food that DS may absolutely not have. This is our personal list and other parents dealing with nut allergies may not agree with everything on our list.

Foods we avoid:
Anything from any bakery (we do not have a nut-free bakery in our state)

Ice Cream (any brand, any flavor - cross contamination risk)

Chocolate (I was told that peanuts are sometimes used as a "filler" in chocolate in addition to cross contamination)

Cookies and crackers with the Kirkland (Costco) label and all products made at Costco are at risk for cross-contamination

Trader Joe's products

Food from food bins

Granola

Pizza Hut's products (they use peanuts/oil in their tomato sauce)

I do have a list of recommended snacks and treats for DS. It is much lengthier, but if anyone is interested, pm me and I'll send it to you. I hope this helps someone. Thank you for wanting to know more about how to keep these children safe.

egoldber
09-06-2008, 09:58 AM
I think parent education has a great dela to do with compliance and attitudes about allergies. As someone mentioned, I have also seen parents of food allergic kids who were very cavalier with their kid's exposure to allergens, even some people that I would consider educated.

And also bear in mine that many parents (and students) do not have English as a first language. Or even a second language. A note sent home to parents may not even be understood. In Sarah's class last year, probably 1/2 of her class of 24 first graders did not have English as the primary language at home. Most of the children were fluent in English, but there were at least 2 in her class who spoke ZERO English at the beginning of the year.

bubbaray
09-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Southwest Airlines was wonderful about it.

Thank you -- good to know. Not surprising, as WestJet is based on SouthWest Airlines business model.

We were able to preboard so that I could wipe down the seats, trays, and window. A friend is a pilot for a different airline. He suggested booking the first flight of the day since the planes were cleaned overnight.

Great ideas, will keep in back pocket for future reference.

Eating out is tough on vacation.

:yeahthat:

It is exhausting being on "vacation" with severe food allergies. We have had good experiences travelling in Canada, but are even more cautious travelling in the US. We've had good experiences at Red Robin, Boston Pizza and Olive Garden. Strangely, McDonalds is one of the best places from an allergy perspective (at least for DD#2s allergies) as they seem paranoid of litigation. Obviously, not a healthy choice, but when you're travelling its good to know. Most of the time at home, we bring DD#2s food with us when we go to a restaurant. That isn't possible when travelling. Plus, she's now getting to an age where she wants to eat what we are eating, not a "special" meal. And, she's not verbal enough to tell us if something makes her lips tingle or her hands/fingers itch. We also can't tell when she rejects a food if she's doing it b/c it makes her feel funny (allergy-wise) or if she just d/n want it. Even things she's not allergic to (like french fries) can be cross contaminated if they are cooked in a vat of oil that is also used to deep fry fish (had that experience at Red Robin early on, but they are able to cook her meal totally separately now).

One dr I work with, who is a good friend, flat out told me that we should travel with an O2 tank and tracheal tube. Our ped. allergist didn't think that was needed, but did say that for now, we have to skip places like all-inclusives and that third world countries (even Mexico) are off our travel list. Pretty much anywhere fish is commonly eaten is a huge risk for us as fish is one of the few food allergens which is known to be airborne. DD#2 *could* have an anaphylactic reaction simply by walking in a room where fish is being cooked or eaten. Sigh.

I am considering homeschooling him when he's in kindergarten just because I know he won't know what is safe and what isn't and I'm terrified of an accidental exposure.

Ditto that. Sigh.

Some people on here have mentioned that they would like to have a list of either safe foods or foods to avoid. Here's the problem with providing a list. While the ingredients of a particular food may not change, the other foods that are made in that same facility can change.

Almostamom, if you ever travel to Canada, you will be pleased to find there are far more peanut-free and nut-free products here than in the US. Many Dare and Quaker products are labeled peanut- and nut-free and they use that as a marketing technique. The same products in the US are not labelled P/N-free.

Also, there is a brand of icecream here (which is super yummy!) called Chapmans. Many of their items (they make novelties too) are peanut- and nut-free. Again, they actively market that.

Mars is a candy-maker here (IIRC, they are also in the US) and they have a wide variety of peanut- and nut-free candy items, including chocolate. Halloween is getting easier here! Their TV ads have started and they are definitely marketing their p/n-free items.

Costco has so much cross-contamination, its not funny. We should start a letter campaign! I didn't know that about TraderJoes (and see my other thread about going there for the first time soon. Ugh). We don't buy bulk foods anymore. I also didn't know that about Pizza Hut. I just checked their nutrition info -- scary! http://www.pizzahut.ca/files/pdf/en/Allergen_Jul_07.pdf

We struggle with DD#2s fish allergy b/c fish can be called so many things. For example, gelatin can be made from fish protein. Took us a while to figure that one out.

bubbaray
09-06-2008, 11:26 AM
I do comply with food restrictions at school, although I will say that I find that PB-free processed foods are often high in HFCS and hydrogenated oils, which are two ingredients that *I* avoid for *my* family's health.

I am not trying to be snarky, but the difference is that *I* avoid DD#2s allergens (in particular fish) so that she doesn't die.

There is a wide variety in severity of food allergies. But, there are some children (and adults) for whom food allergies are so severe that it truly is a life or death situation. That is *not* the norm, but it is the reality.

MontrealMum
09-06-2008, 11:41 AM
I may or not may be the parent of a food allergic child, it's too early to be sure. But I will say that we've been buying those easily labelled Halloween packs of nut-free candy since they came on the market. Maybe because FIL is nut-allergic, I don't know. I just figure, they cost the same, they're still candy (not like those horrible sugar-free suckers of the 70s) - so why not give something that's more likely to be safe for everyone?

Also, a little reassurance for school. My mom is a teacher (now retired) and has had several kids with severe food allergies over the years. Parents are required to fill out forms which are on file with the school nurse about their child's overall health (allergies included) because she taught special ed. In the days before the present food allergy "epidemic", she would from time to time confiscate an offending sandwich or snack - and had other options to give that child in her room's fridge. She then talked to that parent so that they understood what danger the food allergic child faced. Now, there are more peanut-free tables, schools etc., but I think that if you work with some teachers, at least, they will be a strong advocate for your child.

I feel for you though, I'd be terrified too based on some of the callous reactions I've heard (not here), and on a mission to learn all I could before she hits school age. And hoping that the fact that this is life-and-death for some kids would finally sink in.

Melaine
09-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I think now people should really start to get the message that allergies are becoming more common and more severe. My DDs aren't allergic (that we know of) but several relatives and friends have peanut allergies. I think everyone needs to get into the habit of thinking through ingredients for any kind of away from home meals and food served to guests (like cover dish meals, church suppers, snacks for school, etc.). It's taken practice for me to remember to NEVER take desserts with nuts, etc. to my SIL's and be sure that my friends aren't exposed to nuts here at our home, but I'm getting into the habit. Anyone who isn't sensitive or willing to follow the guidelines laid out by the schools/churchs regarding allergies is either unaware of the seriousness of food allergies or just down right self-involved, imho. Comments like "no one is that allergic" or about getting attention are insane.

Melaine
09-06-2008, 12:57 PM
This might sound weird, but I appreciate having kids with food allergies in DD's class. It has taught her empathy. She won't eat strawberries or peanuts because her little friends cannot.
Aww that's so cute. Empathy in kids (and clearly adults!) is rare these days. Your dd must be so sweet!:love5:

jk3
09-06-2008, 01:06 PM
My older DS has serious food allergies but I would never send in anything potentially dangerous to any of the kids in his class. I cannot imagine anyone doing so though I'm sure I'm naive about this.

lablover
09-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Mars is a candy-maker here (IIRC, they are also in the US) and they have a wide variety of peanut- and nut-free candy items, including chocolate. Halloween is getting easier here! Their TV ads have started and they are definitely marketing their p/n-free items.

Unfortunately Mars products in the US are not peanut free. The founder of FAAN spoke at our allergy support group meeting last Spring and she said that the creation of a Mars peanut free facility in Canada was driven by consumer advocacy and that she had spoken to the higher ups at Mars and they have said that if consumer demand is there, they will build a peanut free facility in the US. So she suggested that if we want to "blitz" a specific company that we start with Mars since they have expressed a willingness to do it and because M&Ms are such a popular candy for kids. She said that they log the customer calls and we should call the 1-800 number and let them know that we want a peanut free facility here and that we understand that Canadians can get peanut free M&Ms. Some other tidbits from that meeting:

- The cross-contamination risk for ice cream (from large companies that you buy in a store, like Breyer's - I'm NOT talking about going to an ice cream parlor, which is very high risk) is very low and she said you should never see any "may contain" labels on the products. The equipment used to make ice cream is stainless steel, is easy to clean, and it is cleaned with soap and water between runs.

- The cross-contamination risk for chocolate candy is very, very high. The equipment contains spirals that the chocolate and nuts flow down and soap and water cannot be used to clean the parts - it is done using a dry clean. At any time a nut can get lodged in the spirals and it may become dislodged in the middle of a nut free run. There's no way to predict when the nut may flow through so it's not like you can throw the first batch of nut-free candy out to prevent it. She said if you have a nut allergy and eat candy that has the "made on same equip..." label it's like playing russian roulette.

- If a particular company sells one type of cookie without nuts that is the same shape as a nut-containing one then they are made on the same line. (I have this written down as a definite, but maybe it's just highly probable - can't confirm that.)

The FDA is holding a hearing on the use of advisory labeling of allergens in foods on 9/16. The purpose is to assist manufacturers in using
allergen advisory labeling that is truthful and not misleading. Hopefully things will become more standardized in this area. The most frustrating part of food allergies for me is dealing with potential cross-contamination issues and since the labeling is voluntary you have companies that don't label for it at all so it may seem safe when it's not, and then you have companies that slap the "May contain" label on as CYA when there really is no risk so it really is a mess. The only surefire way to determine the risk is to personally call the company to find out how they process each food.

And as for what we do related to flying, I just make sure that I pick an airline that doesn't serve peanut products and hope for the best. (FAAN has a list of airlines on their website.) As long as 100 people aren't opening up a bag of peanuts at the same time I feel okay with the situation. I wipe down DD's seating area and bring her own snack. And I always carry two epipens with me. Someone had pointed out that if something bad were to happen, they can land the plane in a matter of minutes (as long as you are flying domestic.) I don't know when or if I would ever be comfortable enough to take her across the ocean to Europe. Right now the thought of it gives me the sweats!

Oh, and Trader Joe's has tons of cross-contamination issues but the good thing is that they label for everything so if a product has no advisory label then it shouldn't have a risk. It is depressing to pick up so many products there only to have to put them back on the shelves because of the advisory label.

C99
09-06-2008, 02:20 PM
I am not trying to be snarky, but the difference is that *I* avoid DD#2s allergens (in particular fish) so that she doesn't die.

Well, that is debatable. It could be argued that HFCS and hydrogenated oils contribute to obesity, which contribute to diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart problems, etc., all of which can cause or contribute to death, depending on their severity.

I understand giving up something you love to protect food-allergic/sensitive people. Not quite the same, but my DH gave up cat ownership for life when he met and married me; I am deathly allergic (asthma) to cats. I'm always grateful to pet owners who accommodate my allergy in our friendship.

bubbaray
09-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Well, that is debatable. It could be argued that HFCS and hydrogenated oils contribute to obesity, which contribute to diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart problems, etc., all of which can cause or contribute to death, depending on their severity.

Really -- do you *want* to debate that?

If a person has anaphylaxis to a food (or other allergen), if they do not receive immediate emergency medical aid, they will die. That is scientific and medical fact.

If someone eats a poor diet, they may die from the consequences of poor diet, but it won't be immediate.

My DD#2's anaphylaxis started 30 seconds after her first exposure to fish. Do you really want to compare feeding your family a healthy diet to watching my DD#2's mouth, tongue, face, neck all swell so that she wasn't recognizable and couldn't even keep her tongue in her mouth? Do you really think that an airway that is closing due to anaphylaxis in any way remotely compares to your *choice* to feed a healthy diet?

I think I have to leave now.

o_mom
09-06-2008, 03:20 PM

Hmmm... certain death within minutes or possible chronic health issues years later - Yeah, no comparison there.

There are plenty of allergen free items that don't contain HFCS or trans fats. Her daughter's right to live trumps your childs right to a favorite food. every. single. time.

bubbaray
09-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Her daughter's right to live trumps your childs right to a favorite food. every. single. time.

Thank you. I'm crying right now. This is a very hard thing for me to talk about, even online....

o_mom
09-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Thank you. I'm crying right now. This is a very hard thing for me to talk about, even online....

:hug:

I can't even imagine what you go through having to worry like that.

MontrealMum
09-06-2008, 03:53 PM

You know, this is supposed to be a *safe* place, or at least, that's what I thought. I guess it's good to know what ridiculous arguments are going to be thrown in your face, though, so you can be prepared. Anaphylaxis vs. potential obesity related illness or heart conditions through poor food choices? Not even close to equal. Wow.

My FIL is anaphylactic to a number of food items and I've adjusted my cooking accordingly, and you know what - it wasn't much of an adjustment at all. In any case, we eat a low-cholesterol, healthful diet in our home, all the time, and have no trouble putting food on the table without HFCS and transfats.

mamicka
09-06-2008, 04:39 PM

I can't believe what I'm reading here. Melissa, I share your emotion & am just in shock at what I'm reading. I'm biting my tongue but the things I'd like to say...

FTR, we have food allergies & I also avoid HFCS for my family's health. It can be done.

dogmom
09-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I tried to read all the post completely, so I don't think this has been talked about yet.

No, I wouldn't send fish to a my kids school if someone had a severed allergy. but things to remember:

Parents will label their kids "nut" allergic because they had one rash on their cheek after they peanut butter the first time. I know another mother who has a good friend whose son threw up after he ate peanut butter the first time. Both people have labeled their kids allergic, only one has been to a allergist, and the tests indicated he may have a slight nut allergy. I have seen parents label their kids allergic when what they really want is a strict diet kept (for example no dairy).

I realize that its not my business what the exact medical conditions of anyone's child is, but is becomes problematic when egg/diary/nuts/cinnoman/ nutmeg/star anise/etc are banned from a classroom. Gets sort of hard to pack lunch. It becomes irritating when I KNOW some of those kids have mild or know allergies. I would be irate if I was a parent of a with a life threatening allergy. Add to this some some new research suggests withholding allergen producing products at a young age might actually increase the likelihood of an allergic reaction in a child and I start thinking it just might be my business.

I've offered to make allergen free cupcakes/cakes etc for parties for one girl in my sons class that has several food allergies. Her mom has always said, please don't, thank you anyway. She feels like, unfortunately, who daughter is going to have to learn she can't have many things and she makes sure there is something there she can eat. (severe egg allergy, rules out most bakery products.)

I'm not sure what the right answer is, and I think the answer varies with age. I can understand making a place "peanut free" at young ages. But at some age, not sure when that is, the child will have to learn to protect themselves since teachers/parents are not always going to be there.

mamicka
09-06-2008, 07:10 PM
I tried to read all the post completely, so I don't think this has been talked about yet.

No, I wouldn't send fish to a my kids school if someone had a severed allergy. but things to remember:

Parents will label their kids "nut" allergic because they had one rash on their cheek after they peanut butter the first time. I know another mother who has a good friend whose son threw up after he ate peanut butter the first time. Both people have labeled their kids allergic, only one has been to a allergist, and the tests indicated he may have a slight nut allergy. I have seen parents label their kids allergic when what they really want is a strict diet kept (for example no dairy).

I realize that its not my business what the exact medical conditions of anyone's child is, but is becomes problematic when egg/diary/nuts/cinnoman/ nutmeg/star anise/etc are banned from a classroom. Gets sort of hard to pack lunch. It becomes irritating when I KNOW some of those kids have mild or know allergies. I would be irate if I was a parent of a with a life threatening allergy. Add to this some some new research suggests withholding allergen producing products at a young age might actually increase the likelihood of an allergic reaction in a child and I start thinking it just might be my business.

I've offered to make allergen free cupcakes/cakes etc for parties for one girl in my sons class that has several food allergies. Her mom has always said, please don't, thank you anyway. She feels like, unfortunately, who daughter is going to have to learn she can't have many things and she makes sure there is something there she can eat. (severe egg allergy, rules out most bakery products.)

I'm not sure what the right answer is, and I think the answer varies with age. I can understand making a place "peanut free" at young ages. But at some age, not sure when that is, the child will have to learn to protect themselves since teachers/parents are not always going to be there.

I'm sorry, but your response really makes me mad. It isn't *ever* any of your business what the child's medical condition is. Nor does it matter what your medical opinion is of their symptoms or what *you* think is the correct course of action based on your reading of the studies. Not unless you are either the child's doctor/allergist or their parent. & the fact that it is problematic or irritating for you is irrelevant. I would illustrate by detailing for your our situation, but it really is none of you business.

lablover
09-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Parents will label their kids "nut" allergic because they had one rash on their cheek after they peanut butter the first time. I know another mother who has a good friend whose son threw up after he ate peanut butter the first time. Both people have labeled their kids allergic, only one has been to a allergist, and the tests indicated he may have a slight nut allergy.

Just wanted to comment on this. Especially with nut allergies, you cannot predict the severity of future reactions from past reactions. The first exposure may cause a rash and the second exposure could cause anaphylaxis. It is very common for reactions to get worse with each subsequent exposure. Here is sad proof of what can happen:

http://www.allergymoms.com/uploads/newsletters/allergymoms_newsletter_04_15_08.html

And there is just no way to predict what will happen to each individual so strict avoidance is the only option in order to be safe. And, tests cannot predict the severity of a reaction either. My daughter's blood test is very low positive (the test goes from .35 - 100 and she tests at .6) yet I had her tested because her breathing became raspy just from being exposed to nut dust in the air. (The 2 incidents happened at 5 & 11 months old and the nuts were stored in a cabinet at MILs that I opened while holding DD. The aroma was very, very strong, meaning there were probably lots of particles floating in the air so I think it was an extreme circumstance - thankfully she hasn't had any reactions since we found out a year ago and started being very careful (after the first exposure she tested negative and they told me it was a coincidence (which I didn't believe.))

I agree that at some point peanut-free environments should not be required. I plan to teach my child how to keep herself safe and I know that the reponsibility lies with us. But at such a young age I cannot expect her to obey all of the time. Every child should know not to play with guns, but would you leave a 5 year old child alone in a room with a loaded gun?

DrSally
09-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Parents will label their kids "nut" allergic because they had one rash on their cheek after they peanut butter the first time. I know another mother who has a good friend whose son threw up after he ate peanut butter the first time. Both people have labeled their kids allergic, only one has been to a allergist, and the tests indicated he may have a slight nut allergy.

The problem is that the first reaction could be a hive, but each subsequent exposure it is unpredictable whether it will be a hive or anaphalaxis. Allergies can get significantly worse with one more exposure. GI reactions, such as throwing up are also legitimate signs of allergy. Testing is not 100% accurate, so any reaction, esp. to nuts, it is better safe to assume allergy than risk it.

ETA: Also, with regard to your thought that kids will have to deal with this on their own eventually, so why not now. Allergens come in many mystery names that have long, complex, chemical names or are hidden in some other way. That is too much to ask a grade schooler IMO

mytwosons
09-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Every child should know not to play with guns, but would you leave a 5 year old child alone in a room with a loaded gun?

Hugs, Melissa.

I don't believe parents of non-allergy kids can truly "get" it. At least not at the same level as parents of kids w/FA. I'm not saying that to bash anyone, as I think there a ton of very empathetic moms on this board. But honestly, I didn't get it until I was faced with the reality that my child could DIE; receiving those test results, getting the epi pens, going over every thing with the schools, and having the allergist drill the severity into my head, was life changing. It's one thing to think about your child dying, it's a completely different beast to know something as innocuous as a food will kill them.

Melissa, if I had to see my child in AS, I think I would have PTSD.

jacksmomtobe
09-06-2008, 11:51 PM
In my child's preschool class there are 2 kids with severe, diverse allergies. It's a coop so we have to bring in a snack when we Parent Help. The list of what they normally allow (it's a nut free school) was dramatically reduced so people tended to bring in the same thing every day for snack. All the parents adhered to it. I think most people felt in that case it just made it easier since there was little choice except in what fruit you brought in. In the 2nd half of the year the kids had one day a week where they would stay an extra hour & bring lunch. There were many emails that went around about what we could and could not pack for our children. The school took it pretty far ie the kids could not bring yogurt, milk due to a child with dairy allergies even though there was no food sharing & the Teachers were always close by the 2 children at meal time. Every ok item was brand specific so they could be certain the items were ok. The teacher's were very good about checking everyone's lunch and the Moms in our class also got really good about checking too so when they had a mixed age groupings at the end of the year camp it was 2nd nature on what to look out for. I felt it a bit hard to be creative but with my son only bringing lunch there once a week it wasn't a big deal if every week on that day he ate the same thing (he came up with a weird combo he liked...ham & jelly). Though I have noticed since then he hardly drinks milk and rarely wants peanut butter with his jelly. Oh well. The 2 Moms were very different one was totally relaxed about it the other more high strung but also more prepared with alternative (ie a non wheat play dough recipe, baking recipes with rice milk, etc) options so that the kids did not miss out on any traditional preschool activities. I think her proactiveness in giving alternatives was really helpful. Seeing their experiences really made me feel for all that Moms & Kids with food allergies have to deal with. Not being able to easily eat out, worrying about your child, and just the impact on your daily life many things the rest of us take for granted, etc. I had a hairdresser about 15 years ago whose son had a peanut allergy. She had a terrible time getting the school to take her seriously. Times have changes but it's got to be tough having to worry/think about exposure all the time. I can't imagine the level of difficulty protecting their children in a larger school situation when they get older since our small preschool is much more able to keep these kids safe.

On a side note both girls seemed to be aware of the allergies but did not seem to feel left out/different in any way.

One strange thing during a day camp not associated with our school one of my son's school classmates brought peanut butter for lunch. I thought it was so weird that after all the allergy talk at our school that a Mom would consider doing that. At this point I would never have my son bring peanut butter anywhere outside our home since the allergy is so prevalent. The camp did have a no nut policy however it was listed on the premises but not in any documents we rec'd.

I feel now I'm more conscious of when I am providing snack items to be shared that I need to check there are no food allergies to consider.

Hugs to you Melissa!

C99
09-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Her daughter's right to live trumps your childs right to a favorite food. every. single. time.

Although I didn't bring my children's favorite foods into this discussion, I totally agree with you.

For mamicka: where do you shop? We got a list of safe foods from school and they are all things like Minute Maid graham crackers and Jet-Puffed marshmallows.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
09-07-2008, 02:51 AM
DD's school is completely nut free and candy free. The children who buy a hot lunch are given soy milk to drink and there is no milk program available for the children who bring a cold lunch. When a child has a birthday the parents are told what to bring for a class snack. Last year it was a fruit salad that dd got to serve.
I greatly understand that at 6 years and under (maybe even a little older) that the responsibility falls squarly on the adults shoulders. And while it can sometimes be a pain in the patooti we're happy to comply. HOWEVER...i'm unsure as to when the children should be expected to be more responsible for themselves. Eventually they will have to go out into the world and I'm assuming that food allergies are a lifetime thing. I don't mean to say this to be flamed or to offend anyone. But I'm just curious.

american_mama
09-07-2008, 02:54 AM
DD1 is 6 years old and food allergies have barely registered in any institutional setting we've been in. I am wondering why: these setting serve hundreds of kids. Of the three preschools we've been part of, one had a peanut free lunch table and that's about it and the other had no policy at all. The third does have a no-nut rule and a list of food allergies specific to each room.

DD's elementary school has no food rules whatsoever. Peanut butter sandwiches are served every day by the cafeteria as the default for children who have a deficit on their lunch account. I do have two good friends whose kids go to this school and are allergic to peanuts, so maybe I'll ask them for more information.

I wonder why some parents have encountered strict rules from the get-go in group settings and I have had the opposite experience.

spunkybaby
09-07-2008, 04:59 AM
DD's school is completely nut free and candy free. The children who buy a hot lunch are given soy milk to drink and there is no milk program available for the children who bring a cold lunch. When a child has a birthday the parents are told what to bring for a class snack. Last year it was a fruit salad that dd got to serve.
I greatly understand that at 6 years and under (maybe even a little older) that the responsibility falls squarly on the adults shoulders. And while it can sometimes be a pain in the patooti we're happy to comply. HOWEVER...i'm unsure as to when the children should be expected to be more responsible for themselves. Eventually they will have to go out into the world and I'm assuming that food allergies are a lifetime thing. I don't mean to say this to be flamed or to offend anyone. But I'm just curious.

Hearing about your school makes me wonder about the children who are allergic to soy? Meaning that as much as a school may try to be avoid certain food allergies, the foods used as substitutes may turn out to be allergens for another child.

My DDs do not have food allergies, but I have nephews with food allergies. There are three boys in the family. DN1 has severe allergies to dairy and other things. When he started public school last year, he had to have an aide accompany him because of the possibility of his having an anaphylaxis reaction from touching a stair rail/sink faucet etc. with food residue from another child who had milk etc. for breakfast. DN2 has no allergies, and upon learning about DN1's severe allergies, the household became completely dairy-free. Soy was used for everything--soy milk, soy butter, etc. Then along came DN3, who tested positive for...a soy allergy, and the pediatrician wanted him to drink cow's milk. :( Needless to say, DN3's diagnosis wreaked havoc in that household, and the mom resigned her position as a judge to take care of the kids because their nanny was uncomfortable with the extent of food vigilance needed after DN3's diagnosis.

I can only imagine how hard it is to avoid all these foods and to be worried about contamination from other children and the world. Big hugs to all of you with FA kids. And I want to assure the OP that I would never knowingly disregard another child's food allergies.

AddiesMom
09-07-2008, 06:43 AM
I have to share a little story with you from 2 years ago...

I get my SIL's kids off the bus 3 days a week and at the end of the 1st week of school they come home with a letter that the school is nut-free since a child started kindergarten with a severe allergy. The school waited until the end of the first week to alert parents and had a huge list of items kids could not bring and also brands you could not send (i.e. all Keebler).

Parents went ballistic. DN's best friend's Mom already bought $150 in snacks, etc at BJ's... most banned. Parents of kids in 5th and 6th grade were upset since they were in another building from the child with the allergy and there is no lunchroom, kids eat at their desks. One mom commented that there are alot of kids in the school who are lower income and a jar of peanut butter can go a lot farther than lunchmeat. Meanwhile there is a child with a severe allergy who's life is in danger and people were just 'not getting it'.

When I saw the letter my inital reaction was the school did a horrible job of communicating with the parents. They waited until the end of the 1st week of school, the letter was just banned items and brands... didn't give any background as to why and what could happen if these items are brought in.

I would just make sure if anytime DC starts at a new school you work very closely on how things are handled and communicated, and start ASAP before DC starts there.

mamicka
09-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Although I didn't bring my children's favorite foods into this discussion, I totally agree with you.

For mamicka: where do you shop? We got a list of safe foods from school and they are all things like Minute Maid graham crackers and Jet-Puffed marshmallows.

Sendik's, Pick-n-Save, Target, & Walmart. It may be that the family(ies) putting together the list don't consider avoiding HFCS a priority so they just list those things that they buy, instead of list all the possibilities. Also, putting together these lists are no small task. Especially if you have more than one allergen to avoid. It takes hours over several days over several weeks to get them put together.

hez
09-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Of course I wouldn't! DS used to have a classmate who had an egg allergy, and I happily sent in egg-free baked goods a time or two. And every time I send a home-baked goodie, I always put a sticky on it listing the ingredients, just in case. Each room has a list of all the kids and which allergies they have, if any.

The other parents I've talked to are similarly conscious.

The sticky with ingredients is a great idea, Ry! We've skipped so many homemade things for DS because I couldn't look over an ingredient list. Some of them might have been OK, but I'd rather not find out the hard way. Your way makes it easy. :)

o_mom
09-07-2008, 08:31 AM

My point is that there are plenty of healthy options, and if you are concerned about HFCS and trans-fat, yes options are more limited, but it still becomes a matter of preference on your part if you don't like the options. ETA: I should have said "your preferred food" rather than her "favorite food", but I was pretty outraged at what I was reading and didn't have time to pretty it up.

I have actually found that when I have to go peanut-free, I end up with much healthier choices. I also found that our peanut-free list at school was not comprehensive, but just a preference list put together by one parent. Kashi TLC crackers, for example, are not on the list but are nut-free. Apparently they had never heard of them, though, so after looking it up they are fine. We usually send a combination of fresh fruit, cheese and crackers with milk to drink. If we had to add milk allergy, I would do some re-thinking, but there are things out there, especially if you get away from processed foods alltogether.

bubbaray
09-07-2008, 09:31 AM
i'm unsure as to when the children should be expected to be more responsible for themselves. Eventually they will have to go out into the world and I'm assuming that food allergies are a lifetime thing. I don't mean to say this to be flamed or to offend anyone. But I'm just curious.

In many cases, children outgrow food allergies. But, if that is going to happen, it typically happens prior to them starting K. So, if a child has food allergies in K, they are typically for life.

With my DD#2 in particular, her fish anaphylaxis will be for life. The specialists are quite blunt about that. It is very rare for a baby to have anaphylaxis at such a young age as she did, and such a severe reaction. There is a VERY slim possibility that she might be not anaphylactic to canned tuna (the high processing heat denatures the protein that causes the allergy). Not enough to eat it herself, but enough that she could sit beside someone who is eating a tuna sandwich at school, for example. BUt, she will never be able to be around salmon (which is what she had her reaction to). This will be problematic in school as there are mandatory parts of the school curriculum here dealing with salmon spawning. Sigh.

Her allergist is hopeful that she will outgrow her egg allergy, maybe as early as age 2 (DH outgrew his). He says its too early to tell with peanuts.

As for responsibility, the recommendation is that children start carrying their own EpiPen by the time they start school (there are special sleeves). They are not expected to be able to self-administer an EpiPen until much later -- and there is a range for that. I've heard age 10 at the earliest. Also, you have to remember if the anaphylaxis is quick, the child may never be able to self-administer, so they will need a friend or teacher or even a stranger to administer the EpiPen.

I wanted to address dogmom's question re the mom who declined her offer of baked goods. While I can't speak for that particular mom, the moms I know teach their children to refuse food from others. Its a teaching process, especially with little kids. They don't know the questions to ask or whom to trust, KWIM? So, you need to teach them that unless a parent or trusted caregiver offers them food, they do NOT eat it. Period.

bubbaray
09-07-2008, 09:35 AM
When I saw the letter my inital reaction was the school did a horrible job of communicating with the parents. They waited until the end of the 1st week of school, the letter was just banned items and brands... didn't give any background as to why and what could happen if these items are brought in.

I would just make sure if anytime DC starts at a new school you work very closely on how things are handled and communicated, and start ASAP before DC starts there.

Yes, there is a new process here. Schools have to have an anaphylaxis plan, there are sample communication letters with parents, etc.. The parents I've talked to (we have an anaphylaxis working group locally) are frustrated with administrators and substitute teachers in particular. But, they are relieved that we finally have a process to rely on.

mom2binsd
09-07-2008, 09:43 AM
A little girl in DD's preschool last year had tons of allergies..her mom was very good at educating the kids and parents and also explaining that her DD's allergies would not limit or change the curriculum....ex. on the day they were doing a really fun activity with egg shells etc she choose to keep her DD home as the risk of any residue on the tables etc from the morning class was a possibility as well as a contact in the afternoon....she did not want to ask the teacher to change the entire lesson plan as it was a fun activity that a part of a longterm theme (and the mom is a teacher and appreciated the lesson planning etc.)....she said it was no big deal to keep her DD home..when my DD invited this little girl to her 5th BDay party I called the mom to see if a bakery in town made cakes that her DD could eat...she appreciated my call but said just to get a regular cake and she'd send a treat for her DD...juice was fine and we also only bought candy for the pinata that was safe for her DD...again a simple question allowed me to include her DD in the pinata activity which I know she appreciated....I am so thankful that so far my kiddo's are allergy free but WOULD NEVER put another child's health at risk...some folks are I know are suspicious of "food allergies"...even my MIL doesn't really understand it but then again she still thinks my FIL diabetes is still somewhat of a SCAM (another story!)

Hope this thread will easy your mind a little!!

dogmom
09-07-2008, 10:13 AM
I lot of people were up set by my previous post, and I don't think everyone read the whole post.

First, I talked about people just outright misrepresenting their kids as allergic, when they aren't.

Second, the two examples I talked about with peanut allergies. One person had her child throw up after eating peanut butter the first time (the same day) and has decided her child has a nut allergy. There as been no testing. That is a very unusual. The other child I spoke of with the mild peanut allergy, and yes I know it can have a severe reaction, also a child might decrease sensitivty. No, I don't send peanuts when that kid is around. I'm well aware of the medical and physiological reactions to antigens.

I never suggested we expect elementary school kids to manage there food, as some indicated I did, I said at some point they need to learn, AND I DON'T KNOW WHEN THAT POINT IS. So, no I don't think we should be demanding peanut products in K-5, but by High School I wonder what is the best results. I mean, are the college cafeterias peanut free.

As far as whether I should consider some other child's medical condition my business. No, I don't think so, but if I know people are LYING about their kids medical condition (once again everyone just jumped past that part of my post) I start thinking maybe I should.

Never did a say that I would send a substance or expose and allergenic kid. My kids eat peanut butter in the morning, but not on the mornings they go to school in case some gets on there clothes, etc.

Glad you think I don't "get it" just because I get irritated that people WILL LIE about their kids condition. It would irritate me even more if my kid actually had a food allergy. (Apparently people missed that part of the post also.)

Here are some information I have used in the past to educate myself.

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/168/10/1279

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/348/11/977

I also love to read this guys site, the amount of information and citations is of overwhelming.

http://www.allerg.qc.ca/peanutallergy.htm
I think he is a retired allergist. He used to have no sponsorship, but now he does, although I haven't noticed change in his site. Here is the main site

http://www.allerg.qc.ca/patpubinfo.htm

I can't link the the recent study comparing British and Israeli children and peanut allergies because I don't have a subscription at home. If you do a search for it you can get lay press accounts. It suggests that limiting exposure to peanuts early in life might actually increase allergies, but it is hardly the last word.

crayonblue
09-07-2008, 10:24 AM
My oldest is allergic to Peanuts. Her first reaction was a rash around the mouth. Second reaction was red streaks shooting from her mouth (her cousin wiped peanut butter on her for some reason). After allergy testing, her ped told us to take this very seriously.

It's interesting how some people view food allergies. We attended a Tay Sachs conference this year. During one of the parent sessions, a family was complaining about parents who have nothing more to worry about than peanut allergies and how they wanted to say, "Get a life! At least your kid isn't dying of Tay Sachs!" Well, I have one of each and both are serious! I don't take Lauren's peanut allergy any less seriously than Carmen's Tay Sachs. In fact, I may even be more concerned because at least I can do something about the peanut allergy (carry an epi-pen, educate other people, keep her away from peanuts to the best of my ability, etc.).

I do know someone who totally abuses the food allergy issue. Her daughter has NOT tested allergic to anything yet she tells everyone her daughter is allergic to x, y and z so that she can control what her daughter eats. I only know this because I flat out asked and she said no, we never had her tested and that she just thinks her daughter might have some food sensitivities.

Last year pre-school was no problem. No one brought peanut items in. This year the teacher asked if we wanted to provide separate snacks for Lauren. I was surprised. I guess they don't want to deal with the peanut allergy but I need to talk to the teacher.

egoldber
09-07-2008, 10:31 AM
I do know someone who totally abuses the food allergy issue. Her daughter has NOT tested allergic to anything yet she tells everyone her daughter is allergic to x, y and z so that she can control what her daughter eats. I only know this because I flat out asked and she said no, we never had her tested and that she just thinks her daughter might have some food sensitivities.

I know people who have done this also. I think this IS part of why so many people have a distrust ans/or cavalier attitude.

I also find that a GREAT number of people don't even understand what an allergy is vs a sensitivity. I know many people who say thay are "allergic" to dairy, when what they mean is lactose intolerance. These types of miscommunications are common and contribute to the overall confusion that exists aroudn allergies.

bubbaray
09-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I have a suspicion that one of the children in daycare may not actually be allergic to what the mom claims -- she may have a sensitivity, but as far as I know, she's never had any allergy testing and the mom eliminated various foods from all her childrens' diets b/c she thought that was healthier for them (wheat & dairy). I dunno how I feel about that. The mom is quite good about always having treats for her kids that they can eat and not being too worried about accidental exposure.

Within the group of individuals who have food allergies, there are some who are "at risk of anaphylaxis" and even fewer who are truly "anaphylactic" to an allergen. The medical advice to those two groups is basically the same, avoid the allergen and have an EpiPen or similar available.

The consequences of exposure are statistically different. Someone who has tested positive to fish via scratch or RAST test, but has not had a reaction with a food challenge is at significantly lower risk of a reaction (let alone an anaphylactic one) compared to someone who *has* had a documented anaphylactic reaction to fish.

JTsMom
09-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Melissa,
Are fish allergies common? I know shellfish allergies are, but I'm guessing that's totally different.

Also, thanks to everyone who answered my airline question. :)

bubbaray
09-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Melissa,
Are fish allergies common? I know shellfish allergies are, but I'm guessing that's totally different.

Also, thanks to everyone who answered my airline question. :)

Yes, fish is one of the top 9 allergens. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/allerg/fa-aa/index-eng.php

Yes, fish and shellfish are different/separate allergies. BUT, if you are allergic to fish and not allergic to shellfish (like my DD#2), you still need to avoid shellfish because of the risk of cross-contamination and b/c so much "shellfish" isn't really shellfish, but fake shellfish that is actually fish (pollock being made into fake crab, for example).

JTsMom
09-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Wow, sulphites too? Learn something new every day! Thanks for the link.

bubbaray
09-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I say top 9 allergens b/c sulphites aren't actually a food, KWIM? So, if you break fish and shellfish into 2 separate allergies (b/c they are different proteins), you get 9 food items.

C99
09-07-2008, 11:32 AM
I also found that our peanut-free list at school was not comprehensive, but just a preference list put together by one parent.

Our list was put together and distributed by the school -- not a parent -- well before the first week.

carolinamama
09-07-2008, 12:52 PM
I would certainly NOT send whatever food with ds. I feel very fortunate that we are not dealing with food allergies in our house, but I would go out of my way to accomodate others. As long as you told me how to best do it, since I'm not exactly sure what each child would need.

That said, I would be terrified if I did have a child with a severe food allergy. It is so easy for kids w/o an allergy to not understand, not to mention the parents who don't think about it. I've never met any parents who would blatently disregard these policies, but I've heard stories that they exist.

Georgia
09-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Within the group of individuals who have food allergies, there are some who are "at risk of anaphylaxis" and even fewer who are truly "anaphylactic" to an allergen. The medical advice to those two groups is basically the same, avoid the allergen and have an EpiPen or similar available.

Is being truly anaphylactic the point at which a doctor would recommend that the allergen not be allowed in a classroom?

KBecks
09-07-2008, 06:24 PM
My very honest answer is I don't know. If I did send the food, it would be a mistake, where I forgot about the child having allergies. We had a child in Alek's parent-child class who was allergic and the parent provided all that child's food. I don't have to provide snacks often yet so I haven't had a lot of practice, it's only been avoiding nuts.

Globetrotter
09-07-2008, 06:41 PM
She DOES like soynut butter. The first time I packed it I put a note with it explaining it was NOT PB it was SB. The second time I sent it I forgot the note. Sarah came home and told me the counselors sat and had a debate about her sandwich until she told them several time it was NOT PB because she doesn't even like PB. So if you do use the sunflower seed butter, be prepared to write a note about it. :)

That happened to us, too! She was told to throw it out because it looked like PB! After that I had to send a note.

I always ask HOW the child could be affected by an allergen, i.e. by airborne articles, touching another child's hand, eating something with it, etc... AND also how serious the allergy is. Based on that, I can decide if it's okay to send scrambled eggs for my kid vs. not sending peanut butter crackers because there is somone who is highly sensitive. If they're not sure, I guess you err on the safe side. Last year there was a boy with a potentially fatal lima bean allergy, so I avoided them altogether, even in dd's lunch, and even though he could only get sick by eating them. NOt worth the risk, IMO.

bubbaray
09-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Is being truly anaphylactic the point at which a doctor would recommend that the allergen not be allowed in a classroom?

It seems to vary by dr and also by allergen. Our ped. allergist (apparently he is quite famous, blah blah blah) says that most food allergens are NOT airborne and that peanuts in particular are rarely problematic if not actually ingested. We didn't discuss peanut anaphylaxis, though, as that isn't my DD#2's issue. She's got confirmed fish anaphylaxis and fish is one of the few known airborne food allergens (shellfish is another). So, *we* know that with DD#2, strict avoidance is needed. As she gets older, its possible that the severity of her reactions may diminish, though the dr didn't hold out much hope of that with her fish allergy (he did with her peanut and particularly her egg allergy, which he doubts she'll be dealing with come school-age).

There is also the whole "reactions are different each time" issue. That is what is hard for most parents of kids with food allergies. I'm actually one of the few parents I know, IRL or online, who has a child who has actually had full-on anaphylaxis. Most parents are told (particularly if their child has asthma, as well as food allergies) that their children are "at risk for anaphylaxis". It could happen on the next exposure -- or never. There just isn't any way to know. THAT is the scary part.

ETA: I think the strict avoidance also varies with age -- "they" say that parents are more concerned/paranoid in the early primary grades (b/c of the age of the child), but that they *should* be more concerned in the pre-teen and teen years, when the child is rebelling against everything and wanting to experiment.

doberbrat
09-07-2008, 09:40 PM
I dont know whether this thread makes me more mad or sad.

dd is allergic to milk, wheat, strawberries, lanolin - the last 2 are severe we think if she ever eats a strawberry it will be an anaphylictic reaction. There is an extremely strong family history of latex & zucchini allergies. I cant be in a room w/a balloon in it or zucchini being cut w/o having issues breathing.. Neither can my mother, cousin, nephews (3 of them) we, w/the approval of her pedi have just declared her allergic to those 2 for now.

she's outgrowing the milk - we're trying another homeopathic treatment to help w/the wheat.

Up till 2w ago, we had not demanded any 'special' treatment by her school other than that the teachers be in full knowledge of her allergies and that she eat seated next to a teacher and ONLY get what comes out of her lunchbox. and that lanolin products be banned from the classroom b/c she was getting touched by kids/teachers w/aquaphor and breaking out in hives.

Imagine my surprise when I got the call 2w ago that she "got a graham cracker". "She only ate 1 bite" "... but she seems ok". The rash started 2h later. 4h later her eyes were swollen almost shut despite benadryl & homeopathic remidies.

Imagine my FURY when I discovered that it was the TEACHER who GAVE DD that cookie.

Honestly, I expect parents to be careless so unless I know the parent, no I wont let them feed her. but by G-D I thought I had drilled it into the teacher's heads.

We had a big meeting the next day. I explained to them how damn lucky they were that it had "only" been 1 bite of a cracker since wheat isnt a life threatening allergy for her. if they had fed her a strawberry poptart, it would have been a VERY different situation. The asst director had the nerve to ask me how bad it was - I explained that even things like strawberry scented shampoo give her a decent rash and suggested they nto test the theory for themselves.

now parents cant send strawberries or zucchini on the days she goes. Her allergy sheet is laminated to the allergy table. and yet every single day I worry about them feeding her something inappropriate.

How I wish I could tell her to just toughen up. cuz it sure isnt any fun for me to buy gf pasta for $1.99 per bag rather than the 3boxes for $1 on sale of Prince's. and having to read *EVERY* lable. and never being able to let her eat anything away from home. Having her ask for foods her friends are having and having to always tell her NO it will make you VERY very sick.

sigh.

C99
09-07-2008, 10:06 PM
My point is that there are plenty of healthy options, and if you are concerned about HFCS and trans-fat, yes options are more limited, but it still becomes a matter of preference on your part if you don't like the options. ETA: I should have said "your preferred food" rather than her "favorite food", but I was pretty outraged at what I was reading and didn't have time to pretty it up.

There are lots of variables to this that you are omitting in this debate. To quote a friend of mine, DS1 is a skinny kid who is happy to starve. He is an incredibly picky eater and adding food restrictions to his already limited list of acceptable foods presents an additional challenge. I don't understand why admitting that has caused such outrage. Did you not read the parts where I said that I take food allergies very seriously and would never dream of sending a known allergen to any activity where I know there is an allergic person? It is not, as you say, simply a matter of my preference in food options, but also my child's preferences. Children do not do well when they don't eat or eat poorly. http://www.lgpshow.org/blog/2008/sep/2/how-safe-your-kids-school-lunch/ I don't think this issue is really as black and white as this thread makes it seem.

Maybe I "I just don't get it;" this thread turn doesn't make me want to try to change that.

DrSally
09-07-2008, 10:08 PM

Do regular marshmallows have eggs? It doesn't say eggs in the ingred, but I have heard that they do?

ETA: Also, Melissa, you talked about special sleeves for the epipens. Where do you get these? I just refilled DS's prescription. Thank god I've never had to use them, but every year I have to replace them.

bubbaray
09-07-2008, 10:28 PM
ETA: Also, Melissa, you talked about special sleeves for the epipens. Where do you get these? I just refilled DS's prescription. Thank god I've never had to use them, but every year I have to replace them.

Anaphylaxis Canada sells them. Scroll down about mid-page, there are Ana totes and E-belts
http://www.anaphylaxis.ca/content/livingwith/product_catalogue.asp

MEC sells them:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253437430 2695977&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442621804

I've also seen homemade ones, in various fabrics (denim and camo are cute)

Not sure where they are sold in the US, maybe through FAAN?

HTH

ETA fix 2nd link. Ugh.

MamaMolly
09-07-2008, 10:59 PM
It seems to vary by dr and also by allergen. Our ped. allergist (apparently he is quite famous, blah blah blah) says that most food allergens are NOT airborne and that peanuts in particular are rarely problematic if not actually ingested.

I'm not disagreeing with you or the uber-allergist but I think that this might be a bit misleading to people who don't know a lot about food allergies. While I agree that more people have reactions to ingested food or touched food than to airborne allergens, peanuts are particularly problematic because of the way they are eaten. They BECOME ingested IYKWIM. They are often served roasted (not raw) which makes them 'more allergenic' or with oils (peanutbutter) which makes the allergen (the protein) sticky and harder to wash off. They are rarely eaten with a fork ;), often by the handfull or in a goopey sandwich or greasy cookie again eaten with the hands. Then those sticky, dusty, allergy coated hands touch door knobs, art supplies, pencil sharpeners, toilet flush handles, tables and chairs. That is how Billy's sandwich allergens gets into Suzi's body. Suzi pulls out her chair and rubs her eye or opens the door and wipes her nose with her hand and there you go.

To expand a little on what you already said, allergic reactions vary greatly from person to person and you can't necessarily say that one kind of allergy is more or less dangerous because it really depends on the individual. Where fish is more dangerous in your DC's case, in our family we DO have a peanut allergy, but milk and egg are far more dangerous for us. And if I had an Epipen when DD had her first reaction to egg she would have gotten it, because she was having an anaphylactic reaction. (Hives, swelling of lips, vomiting and later diarrhea.)

The fact is that any food allergy reaction can become an anaphylaxis reaction. Anaphylaxis is when two or more bodily systems are involved in a reaction, a combination of any or all of hives, swelling, difficulty breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, blood pressure drop and more. And people have died from milk allergies, egg allergies, you name it. Peanut is just the one most people have heard about which makes it harder for those of us who are dealing with allergies such as fish and milk. I can't tell you how often people have said to me 'oh, well at least she doesn't have a peanut allergy' to which I'm like 'actually she does, it is just that she is MORE allergic to egg, milk and cats.' (And yes, that would be ana to cats too.)

And for doberbrat are you in the US? I can't see your profile from here in the text box. If so do you have a 504 plan? I strongly, strongly urge you to look into it. Had it been me, the teacher would STILL be looking for her head. And do you have an Epi because, sad to say, hives and swelling = ana reaction which in my house = epi. :(

Thanks to the OP for bringing it up, and to everyone for your thoughtful posts and questions. It is so nice to be able to share this with everyone.

mamicka
09-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Thank you, Molly. You explained that really well.

o_mom
09-07-2008, 11:24 PM
There are lots of variables to this that you are omitting in this debate. To quote a friend of mine, DS1 is a skinny kid who is happy to starve. He is an incredibly picky eater and adding food restrictions to his already limited list of acceptable foods presents an additional challenge. I don't understand why admitting that has caused such outrage.

The outrage comes from comparing HFCS to life-threatening allergies and suggesting that they really are comparable. There is no comparison.

I also have a skinny, picky child. PB&J is his favorite. I know the frustration of trying to find something he will eat that is at least semi-balanced with protein and carbs without an overload of sugar. Doesn't make me ever even think for a second that what I worry about and challenges of a picky eater are anywhere near what moms of food allergic kids are facing. If he has something less than ideal for lunch, it hopefully balances out over time. But, I never have to worry about him dying because of his lunch choice.

If your child's pickiness is such that you think it may be impacting his health, then I would speak to his doctor. A dietician or nutritionist could help. Even occupational therapy can help when there are texture or taste sensitivities.

Did you not read the parts where I said that I take food allergies very seriously and would never dream of sending a known allergen to any activity where I know there is an allergic person? It is not, as you say, simply a matter of my preference in food options, but also my child's preferences. Children do not do well when they don't eat or eat poorly. http://www.lgpshow.org/blog/2008/sep/2/how-safe-your-kids-school-lunch/ I don't think this issue is really as black and white as this thread makes it seem.

Maybe I "I just don't get it;" this thread turn doesn't make me want to try to change that.

Yes, I saw where you said you take it seriously and avoid them. That is great as there are parents out there that don't even do that. However, if you still think that a child doing poorly at school (which I didn't really get from that link) is in anyway comparable to a child dying, then I would have to agree that you "just don't get it".

ETA: As I'm sitting up with a snotty preschooler, I just realized something... I guess I have a slightly different perspective due to my own experience and perhaps I'm not understanding that other people may not have that same perspective. I have seen my DS1 gasping for breath as his airway was swelling shut. I never thought about it much in this discussion because it wasn't from an allergy, but from croup. This wasn't a mild case where you can ease it by sitting in the shower. He was transported by ambulance to the ER for epinepherine and steroids at 23 months old. Seeing my child go through that and the fear that comes with not knowing what would happen changed my perspective on what things are really important.

mamicka
09-07-2008, 11:25 PM
I totally know how you feel.

Imagine my surprise when I got the call 2w ago that she "got a graham cracker". "She only ate 1 bite" "... but she seems ok". The rash started 2h later. 4h later her eyes were swollen almost shut despite benadryl & homeopathic remidies.

Imagine my FURY when I discovered that it was the TEACHER who GAVE DD that cookie.

Honestly, I expect parents to be careless so unless I know the parent, no I wont let them feed her. but by G-D I thought I had drilled it into the teacher's heads.

We had a big meeting the next day. I explained to them how damn lucky they were that it had "only" been 1 bite of a cracker since wheat isnt a life threatening allergy for her. if they had fed her a strawberry poptart, it would have been a VERY different situation. The asst director had the nerve to ask me how bad it was - I explained that even things like strawberry scented shampoo give her a decent rash and suggested they nto test the theory for themselves.

now parents cant send strawberries or zucchini on the days she goes. Her allergy sheet is laminated to the allergy table. and yet every single day I worry about them feeding her something inappropriate.

How I wish I could tell her to just toughen up. cuz it sure isnt any fun for me to buy gf pasta for $1.99 per bag rather than the 3boxes for $1 on sale of Prince's. and having to read *EVERY* lable. and never being able to let her eat anything away from home. Having her ask for foods her friends are having and having to always tell her NO it will make you VERY very sick.

sigh.

I'm sorry that happened.

KBecks
09-07-2008, 11:46 PM
OK, thread crashing now, but is it bad if reading this is making me hungry for peanuts AND fish? Maybe even together? :)

mamicka
09-07-2008, 11:57 PM
OK, thread crashing now, but is it bad if reading this is making me hungry for peanuts AND fish? Maybe even together? :)

HA! No. Eat some for me.

psophia17
09-08-2008, 12:35 AM
FTR, I have no clue where this reply is falling - I consistently fail to get it to go where I intend. If it's misplaced, please forgive me.

At N's preschool, there was a boy with a severe nut allergy. He had a reaction early on, and had tested positive for allergies to most tree nuts. The kids were GREAT about it - they all talked about what it meant for the boy, and how they should always ask if their snack had any nuts in it, because their classmate wasn't allowed to eat nuts, his body would get really sick and stop working if he ate nuts. This is a room full of 4yos, all working together to make sure that no nuts got in. Some did at some point, probably PB remains on something, the boy touched it, and his hands swelled up twice their size. He was given his epipen, he went to the ER, he was back at school the next day.

As a rule, we buy nut-free snack foods. But at some point two boxes of granola bars in our home were collated, and N took a granola bar processed in a facility that also processes peanuts to school. I felt absolutely terrible. The boy's mother, when I apologized, was understanding, and even with her son's really terrible allergy, was able to forgive the mistake, because that is what it was.

There are people who make sh!t up, to get special treatment. We all know them. We all, usually, can pick them out of a crowd. Insert eyeroll here, yadda yadda yadda. I don't think expressing an opinion about *those* people is the same, or even close to the same, as intentionally causing an allergic reaction. If it did happen, the person who inadvertantly caused it would feel terrible, end of story.

To the OP - it must be hard to live in fear. To be perfectly honest, I've never met anyone with a fish allergy, so I had no reason to know about it. Now I've learned that a fish allergy is an airborne allergy. I don't quite know what that means - breathing in the smell of fish will bring on a reaction? That is hard to believe, but if you tell me that's the case, I'll believe it, and do my best not to have fish around your DD. I'll take comfort that you're aware, and that you've made the adults in your DD's life aware, and that they will do their best, for you, and for her.

In the meantime, please let me add, that while I don't fear that my boys will have allergic reactions, and I'm grateful, I have other fears for them. Their personalities may lead them into trouble, and with at least one of my children it scares me to my core. No one ever said this job was easy. We do our best. It takes a village.

lablover
09-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Do regular marshmallows have eggs? It doesn't say eggs in the ingred, but I have heard that they do?

Kraft regular marshmallows do not contain eggs. Their marshmallow creme does contain eggs.

JTsMom
09-08-2008, 01:32 PM

dd is allergic to milk, wheat, strawberries, lanolin - the last 2 are severe we think if she ever eats a strawberry it will be an anaphylictic reaction. There is an extremely strong family history of latex & zucchini allergies. I cant be in a room w/a balloon in it or zucchini being cut w/o having issues breathing.. Neither can my mother, cousin, nephews (3 of them) we, w/the approval of her pedi have just declared her allergic to those 2 for now.

she's outgrowing the milk - we're trying another homeopathic treatment to help w/the wheat.

Up till 2w ago, we had not demanded any 'special' treatment by her school other than that the teachers be in full knowledge of her allergies and that she eat seated next to a teacher and ONLY get what comes out of her lunchbox. and that lanolin products be banned from the classroom b/c she was getting touched by kids/teachers w/aquaphor and breaking out in hives.

sigh.

:47: I don't even know what to say! I can only imagine how angry and scared you must have been!

bubbaray
09-08-2008, 10:25 PM
To the OP - it must be hard to live in fear. To be perfectly honest, I've never met anyone with a fish allergy, so I had no reason to know about it. Now I've learned that a fish allergy is an airborne allergy. I don't quite know what that means - breathing in the smell of fish will bring on a reaction? That is hard to believe, but if you tell me that's the case, I'll believe it, and do my best not to have fish around your DD. I'll take comfort that you're aware, and that you've made the adults in your DD's life aware, and that they will do their best, for you, and for her.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/allerg/fa-aa/allergen_fish-poisson-eng.php

Can I have a seafood-related reaction even if I do not eat or use seafood and seafood derivatives?
Yes. There have been reported reactions to seafood vapours from cooking, preparing (e.g., sizzling skillets), and handling fish, crustaceans and shellfish and/or products that contain them. Avoid these situations. Seafood and seafood derivatives can often be present under different names, e.g., kamaboko. For other common ingredient label names, refer to the list below. Always read the product ingredient list carefully.

That is DD#2s issue. She can't be around cooking fish at all. And, if she's with me when I'm grocery shopping, I steer clear of the fresh fish aisle. Its not just the smell of fish (good quality fresh fish d/n have much of a smell), its the proteins in the air. Lets just say that working in a fish processing plant is NOT in her future.

FWIW, the dr's at Children's are ADAMANT (and I mean a.d.a.m.a.n.t., to the point of being annoying) that her severe eczema was not caused by her fish allergy. Talking to me about the size of the molecules that can and can not pass through BM, etc.. BUT, they think that she was initially sensitized to fish protein through all the cracks/open areas in her skin b/c of the eczema (ie., the eczema led to the food allergy, not the other way around) AND that once that happened, she is allergic enough that even before I tried feeding her fish, she was having reactions to it when I cooked it and when it was on my hands/clothes/hair from cooking etc. Her skin used to be like coarse grade sandpaper. Within days of eliminating fish from our house after the anaphylactic reaction in January, she had silky-smooth skin.

DrSally
09-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Anaphylaxis Canada sells them. Scroll down about mid-page, there are Ana totes and E-belts
http://www.anaphylaxis.ca/content/livingwith/product_catalogue.asp

MEC sells them:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253437430 2695977&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442621804

I've also seen homemade ones, in various fabrics (denim and camo are cute)

Not sure where they are sold in the US, maybe through FAAN?

HTH

ETA fix 2nd link. Ugh.

Thanks, Melissa, these are great. I hate carrying around that box.

DrSally
09-08-2008, 11:34 PM
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/allerg/fa-aa/allergen_fish-poisson-eng.php

Can I have a seafood-related reaction even if I do not eat or use seafood and seafood derivatives?
Yes. There have been reported reactions to seafood vapours from cooking, preparing (e.g., sizzling skillets), and handling fish, crustaceans and shellfish and/or products that contain them. Avoid these situations. Seafood and seafood derivatives can often be present under different names, e.g., kamaboko. For other common ingredient label names, refer to the list below. Always read the product ingredient list carefully.

That is DD#2s issue. She can't be around cooking fish at all. And, if she's with me when I'm grocery shopping, I steer clear of the fresh fish aisle. Its not just the smell of fish (good quality fresh fish d/n have much of a smell), its the proteins in the air. Lets just say that working in a fish processing plant is NOT in her future.

FWIW, the dr's at Children's are ADAMANT (and I mean a.d.a.m.a.n.t., to the point of being annoying) that her severe eczema was not caused by her fish allergy. Talking to me about the size of the molecules that can and can not pass through BM, etc.. BUT, they think that she was initially sensitized to fish protein through all the cracks/open areas in her skin b/c of the eczema (ie., the eczema led to the food allergy, not the other way around) AND that once that happened, she is allergic enough that even before I tried feeding her fish, she was having reactions to it when I cooked it and when it was on my hands/clothes/hair from cooking etc. Her skin used to be like coarse grade sandpaper. Within days of eliminating fish from our house after the anaphylactic reaction in January, she had silky-smooth skin.

I could totally see this b/c how else would she become sensitized to it if she hadn't eaten it. It's why I try to keep our kid's skin very lubricated. DS is prone to eczema if his skin gets dry. I get on DH, who does bath, to lube him with eucerin every time. It sounds like the eczema caused the fish allergy, which then led to more eczema?

DrSally
09-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Molly or Melissa,

When DS had his first milk reaction at 6 months he had hives all over his face and neck, vommiting 3 times in 5 min, diarehha, and mucus running from his nose like a faucet. The on call nurse at my peds office said to do nothing, maybe give benadryl. Eventhough I didn't know anything about allergies at the time, I knew hives were serious and went into our doctor. By the time he could see DS, the hives were gone. He did have smaller hives for several days afterward while nursing in the morning (biphasic reaction?). My question is this, would that qualify as anaphalyxis? He didn't have breathing problems that I could tell. I feel so lucky that it turned out ok, but am still mad about the medical advice I got from that nurse.

kijip
09-09-2008, 12:12 AM
I know people who have done this also. I think this IS part of why so many people have a distrust ans/or cavalier attitude.

I also find that a GREAT number of people don't even understand what an allergy is vs a sensitivity. I know many people who say thay are "allergic" to dairy, when what they mean is lactose intolerance. These types of miscommunications are common and contribute to the overall confusion that exists aroudn allergies.

I agree. If I had a seriously allergic child, I would be especially irked at the parents that dilute to importance of the information by tag teaming their preferences or self diagnosed sensitivities to something as urgently important as an allergy. But since allergies are so serious and most of the life threatening ones fall into the same foods, I default 100% of the time to making it very serious and weighty to pay attention.

As for healthy vs. allergen free, our preschool pretty much required both. The allergy sensitive snack list was derived from healthy, less sugary and processed brands. I think whoever makes the list would be inclined to look where they themselves shop and for foods their families eat.

bubbaray
09-09-2008, 01:29 AM
Molly or Melissa,

When DS had his first milk reaction at 6 months he had hives all over his face and neck, vommiting 3 times in 5 min, diarehha, and mucus running from his nose like a faucet. The on call nurse at my peds office said to do nothing, maybe give benadryl. Eventhough I didn't know anything about allergies at the time, I knew hives were serious and went into our doctor. By the time he could see DS, the hives were gone. He did have smaller hives for several days afterward while nursing in the morning (biphasic reaction?). My question is this, would that qualify as anaphalyxis? He didn't have breathing problems that I could tell. I feel so lucky that it turned out ok, but am still mad about the medical advice I got from that nurse.

That definitely sounds like an anaphylactic reaction and a subsequent biphasic reaction.

Has he been assessed by a pediatric allergist?

We were told to not give benadryl, to ALWAYS give the epinepherine. If the airway is closing, (1) benadryl won't get into the child's system properly to work and (2) could suffocate them. It happened so fast with my DD#2 (we did give benadryl b/c we didn't know better and we didn't have EpiPens at that point -- we had no idea she had food allergies!).