PDA

View Full Version : 1st winter with DC - what do we need?

jgenie
09-05-2008, 03:07 AM
I live in the northeast, but did not grow up here. This will be our first winter with DS. He was born in January, but we pretty much stayed home his first 12 weeks. I'm trying to figure what clothes we'll need to get him for the winter. Any thoughts or ideas? Are there any particular brands that seem to hold up better?
TIA

KBecks
09-05-2008, 06:38 AM
For a one year old, I would probably do a parka coat. It depends if he is walking (coat) or if he is not quite walking (bunting), but I would go with the coat.

I like the Land's End squall parka (with a hood). I like using the hood instead of a hat, it doesn't get lost. I buy used on Ebay and have found good prices. Then mittens (2 pairs). Mitten clips are a good idea, we used them last year with Alek and it was helpful, although I've done it without them too. Snowpants but they'll only get used a little bit if you play outside or go sledding, which you might not do at all at that age. Boots. (I like the Stride Rite boots because they open up easy for getting feet in). But I've bought Wal Mart boots too.... just look for a boot that isn't so heavy on their little feet that it would make walking more difficult.

I would look for a coat now, but look for boots closer to November so you have a good idea of his shoe size closer to the cold weather. But don't wait too long or they will be harder to find -- it's a tough timing game!

Have fun!