PDA

View Full Version : Who are we? Dems? Reps? Independents?

JTsMom
09-05-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm curious about the numbers on this board. A lot of us have assumed that there are a lot more liberals than conservatives here, but I'm curious if there really are, and if so, how big the margin really is.

I'd like to request that this thread remain 100% civil. If you want to explain your vote, feel free, but let's keep the judgement out please!

srhs
09-05-2008, 11:09 AM
So I honestly don't know how to vote in the above.
I am a registered Independent because I have little use for party affiliations.
BUT I am a conservative who votes my values every time. SO, although I take each office on a case-by-case basis, I almost always vote Republican.
So, educate me: what am I? (Please keep responses to the above choices...hehe)
I know the OPer said "usually vote," but do people really have the option to "Usually vote" Independent? I rarely see an Independent on my ballots.

eta: "my" values

JTsMom
09-05-2008, 11:34 AM
BUT I am a conservative who votes my values every time. SO, although I take each office on a case-by-case basis, I almost always vote Republican.
I know the OPer said "usually vote," but do people really have the option to "Usually vote" Independent? I rarely see an Independent on my ballots.

LOL, ok, good point. I certainly could have phrased the question/choices better. I guess what I had in mind was Independents are not loyal to any particular party, and vote on a particular candidate, without regard to party. If you typically vote without regard to party, I'd say you are an Independent, regardless of whether or not that typically means you vote Republican.

srhs
09-05-2008, 11:47 AM
I definitely wasn't picking on your wording. :) I was just having a little identity crisis. Thanks for the help!

JTsMom
09-05-2008, 04:05 PM
bumping for the evening crew

kedss
09-05-2008, 04:12 PM
When I've voted, its been for democrats, but I would say I'm a liberal independent(if that makes sense), I don't necessarily support what the dems do/say all the time.

gatorsmom
09-05-2008, 04:18 PM
that's a toughy. I'm a Prolife Democrat. Since Prolife is my biggest concern, that usually throws me into the Republican pond unless I think the Republican candidate won't do much to work on that issue or won't be putting a judge in the S Court. Then I vote Democrat.

What does that make me? (I havent voted yet)

JTsMom
09-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Independent? I'm not sure- whichever group you tend to id with the most I guess. There's always "other".

So, out of curiosity, what is everyone thinking about the results so far? Surprising? Not surprising? How so?

maestramommy
09-05-2008, 04:49 PM
I would say that the results so far reflect what I think I've seen on the boards. Basically I'm looking at the breakdown of those who put down that they post often.

I'm not a registered anything. I'm prolife mostly for myself, pro-choice for legislation, if that makes any sense. So that particular issue doesn't drive me to the polls unless I think there's going to be a major upheaval. The big issue for me right now is gay marriage. If I thought there was going to be some federal piece of legislation on that (but I doubt that will happen), THAT alone would get me to the voting box.

I don't vote down any particular party line. I tend to pick and choose who I want based on what he/she stands for and if I think they have a chance at accomplishing what they stand for.

mama2g03
09-05-2008, 04:56 PM
When I've voted, its been for democrats, but I would say I'm a liberal independent(if that makes sense), I don't necessarily support what the dems do/say all the time.
I would say this describes me, too, for the most part. I would have no problem voting for a Republican if they had the same views on the most important issues to me. It has happened, just not all that often.

o_mom
09-05-2008, 05:07 PM
I consider myself Independent - I have voted Republican for US Rep because our Dem Rep was a looney (IMO). On local and state government I have voted all over the place, including <gasp> Libertarian. :) I really tend to look at the person and their position, not the party so much.

StantonHyde
09-05-2008, 09:03 PM
In my state, it is easy for me to vote Democrat every time. The Republicans are soooooo far right. Our only Democrat on the national level is basically a moderate Republican (fiscally conservative, socially less-so). I did, however, vote for a Republican governor last time because I really felt he could do more for our state (and I have liked him quite a bit) and for a Republican District or state Attorney (can't remember now) because the Democrat had taken on the case of a Republican mayor who had done some really shady stuff and I just did not want to vote for someone associated with her.

DrSally
09-05-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm a liberal democrat, although it's not in my financial best interest :)

linsei
09-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Independent conservative, but I'll classify myself as Republican in your poll because I'm not a typical Independent.

linsei
09-06-2008, 12:09 AM

eta: "my" values

LOL, I completely understand. Sometimes those Republicans aren't quite conservative enough.