PDA

View Full Version : The conventions are over...

LarsMal
09-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Which is a big Yay in my book (now we won't have politics on 24/7) but it means DH is back to OBSESSING about baby names. I just got yet another email from him with the subject: "Rank Please" and a whole list of boy names to rank order and send back to him.

It *should* be fun, but he has seriously been talking about names since DD was born 20 months ago! I wish I hadn't told *him* I'm pregnant!!!

jal
09-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Oh the baby naming game... We recently just finished that chore, and I do mean chore.

Our problem was that we just couldn't come to an agreement. We both had different ideas on what constituted a good name. We could agree on a couple of first or middle names, we just were not comming together on full names.

I've always wanted to name my children in honor of a loved one, she could care less. We could easily agree on people we would like to honor, but we didn't like any of the names.

It wasn't until I started playing with the Scrabble board (figuratively speaking) before we came up with a name that we could agree on. What I did was take the letters from the names of the 3 people we most wanted to honor. I then got on one of those baby name web sites and searched for EVERY POSSIBLE NAME you could come up with limited to those letter. Obviously skipped right over the rediculous ones and wrote down all the ones that might have potential. The next step was to then review all those names and make a list of what pairs of names would use all the letters at least once (in other words, what pair of names would use every letter at least once, duplicate letters were ok to drop). After all that work, there was one pair of names that included one of the first names on our short list. The middle name was one we had not considered before, but because there were no particular objections to it, and it gave us a reason for the names, we made a desicion within 5 minutes of discovering the pair of names.

Here's to hoping you find a way to complete this CHORE soon.

bubbaray
09-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Far be it for me to state the obvious, but for a boy, Obama John, or for a girl Hillary Sarah.

:ROTFLMAO:

LarsMal
09-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Here's to hoping you find a way to complete this CHORE soon.

Thanks! I have a feeling it's going to go on well into this pregnancy! The thing is, we have a list of our tops names, I don't know why he can't just take a break and wait 'til we find out what it is before we proceed with narrowing it down.

We are pretty much set on a boy's first name, but we are up in the air on middle names. My husband keeps a word document of all the names he likes, written out in pretty fonts, first middle and our last name- so he can see how it will look on a business card! For the past three years he's kept this list, showing it to me VERY often! It drives me crazy!

I told him after this one (our last) is born I'm getting him a really big fish tank and he can take all the names I've vetoed and name his little fishies!

CHORE only applies to me- he thinks it's so much fun! I would, too, if I didn't have to hear it 24/7!!!

LarsMal
09-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Far be it for me to state the obvious, but for a boy, Obama John, or for a girl Hillary Sarah.

BWHAHAAHA!!! That's too funny! See, game over- we're done- Thanks, Melissa!

Our friends had a baby boy last night and his middle name is "Barry"- a twist on Barak! I told DH- Don't even think about it!

gatorsmom
09-06-2008, 01:05 AM
BWHAHAAHA!!!
Our friends had a baby boy last night and his middle name is "Barry"- a twist on Barak! I told DH- Don't even think about it!

I'd go with Barack before I named a baby Barry. (no offense to any Barrys out there).

MamaMolly
09-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Sigh. I'm over here just wishing my DH had been 1/100th that into naming DD. It took forever to get him to do anything but veto everything I liked (classical and biblical) and only offered names that I associate with strippers (he thought this was funny). UGH. God help us if there ever is a next one. And don't get me started on boys. A son would be the 4th with the same name. Or so I'm told. But I have my own ideas on that! ;)

mommy111
09-07-2008, 02:40 PM

I kinda like John Barack and Sarah Hillary better, but that's just me.