PDA

View Full Version : A "How would YOU recycle this?" Question

JMS
09-05-2008, 07:35 PM
I hope no one minds, but in my quest to be more green, I'm aiming to recycle everything possible that my household consumes, so I'll be peppering you all with How To questions. And I promise to google first!

So tonight I finished off a container of bread crumbs. I threw the plastic lid in with the plastic recyclables. Now for the hard part. The cylinder shaped cardboard container has a metal rim at both the top and the bottom. I don't think I should throw it in with my paper b/c of the metal. Would you risk a finger to cut the metal out? If so, what would you then do with that??

I realize I could simply recycle my stale bread and avoid this issue in its entirety. :)

TIA!

niccig
09-05-2008, 08:06 PM
I realize I could simply recycle my stale bread and avoid this issue in its entirety. :)

TIA!

Can't help with recycling the container. But for stale bread, I have 2 bags in the freezer, a container would be better for green purposes. I have stale pieces into one bag, and have bread crumbs in the other. When the breadcrumbs bag is empty, I put all the stale pieces I've collected into the food processor and make crumbs and then back into the freezer to use as I need them. Often I need fresh crumbs, so I use them straight from the bag, or I toast quickly in the oven if I need dried crumbs.

tylersmama
09-05-2008, 08:11 PM
We have single stream recycling, so I just throw it all in together! ;) Oops, that doesn't really help you, either.

That's a great idea on the breadcrumbs, nicci!

lizajane
09-05-2008, 08:48 PM
give it to your preschool to repurpose. :) that is what i do with my yogurt cups that can't be recycled by my city program.