PDA

View Full Version : Foods you are surprised your kids like

ilfaith
09-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Are there any foods you are surprised your kids actually like? Things you wouldn't have dreamed of eating at that age, even things you don't like now.

My two-year-old loves mushrooms...which I wouldn't touch as a child, and even today will only eat in something like chicken marsala where they've been cooked in lots of butter and wine. He also likes pickles...the slimy slices you get on hamburgers...whereas I'll only eat half-sours from a good deli.

My four-year-old's favorite ice cream flavor is green tea...he'll choose it over chocolate or vanilla (and is disappointed that it generally isn't available outside asian restaurants).

vludmilla
09-05-2008, 08:44 PM
My DD loves pickles and olives and both were things she tried on her own. She snagged them off my plate while out to eat. I don't think I would have offered them to her. She also loves lima beans, freeze dried peas, and swiss cheese. All of these things are like a big treat to her.

mytwosons
09-05-2008, 08:49 PM
DS1 absolutely loved a good curry starting from about age 1.

pb&j
09-05-2008, 08:51 PM

Same here. And he likes it spicy!!

I am also surprised at DS's love for broccoli. He will choose broccoli over just about any other food, and will eat enormous amounts of it in a sitting. I like me some broccoli, but I can't pack it away the way he does.

jenmcadams
09-05-2008, 08:53 PM
My DD is pretty picky and likes mostly typical kid foods, but my DS has made me feel better about myself as a parent b/c he will eat anything and loves to try new foods :)

He loves all veggies, mushrooms, pickles, olives and anything with soy sauce. He loves sushi and asian food generally, with lettuce wraps from Pei Wei or PF Changs being one of his single most favorite foods. He also loves shrimp, crab and any other kind of shellfish.

Both my kids will eat and like fish (grilled, breaded, seasoned, etc.) and they also both love pasta with pesto....or pesto on almost anything.

shilo
09-05-2008, 09:07 PM

that would be sam too. thai or indian curries. he'll also eat rogan josh.

sam will eat any squash variety you serve him in copious quantities and steamed spinach or chard. none of which i would touch at his age, or much later for that matter.

mustard. i didn't start eating mustard until i left for college. sam will eat any kind from yellow to brown to the funky beer infused gourmet mustards.

JMS
09-05-2008, 09:11 PM
DS is my far more picky child and he LOVES cottage cheese. I like it too but I'm still shocked that he wants it almost every day!

bethie_73
09-05-2008, 09:16 PM
DS fav meal.... fish (cod or salmon), broccoli, and mashed potato. Freeze dried peas heck he will try anything, which is pretty great for me.

He doesn't like mac and cheese, or any type of sandwiches.

luvmypeanut
09-05-2008, 09:19 PM
DD loves pate. Not as much as she loves bread and butter but it comes in a close second.

Tondi G
09-05-2008, 09:30 PM
My older DS is a typical kid in what he eats ... the most interesting thing would probably be shrimp tempura... he does love some Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon though!

My little guy is much more adventurous. He loves sushi... his favorite is Yellowtail. My sister ordered some the other night and he saw the yellowtail hit the table and he was pushing us all aside around the table to sit next to his new best friend with the yellowtail sushi! LOL

He also LOVES Broccoli ... my older one has never enjoyed it but this guy will sometimes make a meal of a big bowl of broccoli. He'll have a bit or two of other things and then bee line for the broccoli.

Other things he likes

cooked fish... grilled or baked Salmon or Sea Bass... he will eat fish n chips beer battered halibut too

pickles... but without the skin please. He loves the giant ones we get at the fair or at Disneyland

Hummus ... he'll eat it with a spoon

He tried curry and thought it was ok. He likes Orange Chicken with a little kick to it.

both my kids LOVE Brie Cheese. My Dad was a Brie Cheese person and my little guy had never eaten cheese before ... I think he was 9 months and I walked over to witness my Dad handing him a cracker smothered in Brie on their Last Christmas together (I lost my dad a week later on New Years Day). I blurted out "Dad, he doesn't eat cheese yet!" His response was "well he does now and he loves it!".

I love mushrooms and neither of my boys or my hubby will eat them willingly!

dotgirl
09-05-2008, 10:12 PM
DS is a pretty experimental eater - he's been eating sushi since he was 2 (as soon as the doctor said it was ok!), and he particularly loves unagi and maguro (bbq eel and raw tuna).

He also loves avocados, fresh sorrel, mushrooms, raw oysters, onions and fresh spinach. (None of which I let enter my mouth until I was well into adulthood.)

AngelaS
09-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Clams. My girls LOVE them. They eat anything basically but watching my 3yo pull clams out of their shells, drop them in butter and then chow down is pretty crazy to watch.

SnuggleBuggles
09-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Ds1 loves Indian food. It's his favorite. He's a big sushi fan. He eats "real" sushi but he devours CA rolls. I think the boy could live on crab sticks if he had the choice. He can handle far spcier food than I can. Brocolli is a big hit.

Ds2 was given an onion by his dad the other day and loved it!

Beth

Gena
09-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Lemons. Since DS was an infant he has grabbed lemons off our plates (when we have fish in resturants) or out of our water glasses and sucked them. He will even try to eat the peel.

He really loves all fruits and veggies, as well as some other thoings I would not have expected. But seeing my baby suck lemons with a huge grin has definately been the most suprising

newbiemom
09-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Before my DC#1 turned 3, he loved, loved (cooked) spinach. I mean, he'd inhale a bowl of it. He ate it like people eat chips or ice cream. As he got older, he became less inclined to inhale any food and now takes microscopic, torturous bites of any food he eats, whether he likes it or not. Mealtimes can really drag on sometimes!

C99
09-05-2008, 11:32 PM
DD likes mussels.

DrSally
09-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Sardines, bagels with smoked salmon and cream cheese, olives straight from the can, capers straight from the jar...

Neatfreak
09-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Hands down, it's Vegemite!

gatorsmom
09-06-2008, 09:50 AM
tossed salad. I can't figure it out. The boys usually hate anything other than the usual kid food- chicken nuggets, hot dogs, mac and cheese. But they will always eat salad when I make one for dinner. Has me stumped.

kijip
09-06-2008, 11:27 AM
With T it was/is olives (ALL kinds not just black CA ones- green stuffed, kalamata, all the funky ones at the olive bar), sardines, and blue, smelly and other types of cheese. I won't eat some of this stuff. :ROTFLMAO: Oh, and ANY shellfish he can get his hands on AND seaweed/nori.

kijip
09-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Clams. My girls LOVE them. They eat anything basically but watching my 3yo pull clams out of their shells, drop them in butter and then chow down is pretty crazy to watch.
Those are my best memories as a kid- clamming at the beach, cooking them at home, shelling them and eating ourselves silly. :) Man, I need to take T clamming. I started when I was 3 or 4 so I dropped the ball with him- he is 5 and has never been. It was a big family tradition. Of course the safe clams are fewer now and the season WAY shorter.

kijip
09-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Sardines, bagels with smoked salmon and cream cheese, olives straight from the can, capers straight from the jar...

We have the same kid! :)

brittone2
09-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Raw kale and chard

seaweed like Nori (just eaten plain). Both kids like it.

DS loves olives (only the expensive gourmet varieties though)

DD loves meat, creme fraiche off a spoon, plain sour cream. She's a natural low carber ;) She'll eat meat over anything sweet pretty much any day.

DS loves sardines. I try not to think about it. He calls them "sarbeans" LOL.

bubbaray
09-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Both girls like edamame.

DD#2 loves loves LOVES spicy food. Indian, Mexican, etc..

Melbel
09-06-2008, 02:36 PM
DD1 is my adventurous eater. From 9 months forward, she has LOVED guacamole and pickles (not together). Since about age 4, she also loves salmon, shrimp, crab cakes and calamari. She never has liked mac and cheese.

MamaMolly
09-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Full sour pickles. She won't touch a bread and butter and looks offended if you offer a hamburger pickle
oil cured black olives
clams
miso soup
grits
fish sticks, even in utero she would jump for fish sticks

I'm sure there is more but that is what comes to mind.

MelissaTC
09-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Beef, rare
Manchego cheese
goat cheese
Brie
spinach

ETA extra dill pickles. He could live off of these.

mamicka
09-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Ummm....

coffee with cream & sugar
wine

...don't ask

No, I don't serve these things to my kids.