PDA

View Full Version : Palin vs. Clinton 2012?

deenass
09-05-2008, 09:53 PM
So I was talking to someone who thinks that if McCain were to win, he wouldn't run for re-election (since he will be 76 at the time) and she thinks that would put Palin as the next Republcian presidential candidate.

Would Hillary CLinton come back and run against her?

What do you think? (And regardless of your political views, how exciting would that be to have 2 women candidates for president!)

lubdubdeb
09-05-2008, 09:57 PM
When Palin was speaking the other night, I said to my husband that a Palin/Clinton race would sure be interesting!

JillPill
09-05-2008, 10:15 PM
I really wish that Palin was running for President NOW!!!

maylips
09-05-2008, 10:36 PM
A great debate, but I wonder how the media would handle it?!?! They get hammered for being sexist by asking any tough questions now, but with two women running, I bet they would get hammered if all they talked about were their clothes!

elliput
09-05-2008, 10:41 PM
I will gladly vote for a qualified woman for president, however I will never vote for either Mrs. Clinton or Mrs. Palin.

citymama
09-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Maybe in 2016.

In 2012, it would be Palin (or other R candidate) vs Obama. Which is what the media (and R's) are trying to do right now anyway.

Laurel
09-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Is there really talk of McCain only serving 4 years if he wins? The presidency is not a lifetime achievement award! If he's in, he needs to be in for a potential 8 years of hard, exausting work. If he's not, he has no business running in the first place, IMO.

Topic: a two woman race would be exciting, but I'm not that excited about Clinton or Palin. I know a small group of dems want to see Clinton run in 2012 bad enough to stay home on election day, but I'd much rather elect Obama now. If McCain loses this time it will be very interesting to see where that leaves Palin's political career.

gatorsmom
09-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Is there really talk of McCain only serving 4 years if he wins? The presidency is not a lifetime achievement award! If he's in, he needs to be in for a potential 8 years of hard, exausting work. If he's not, he has no business running in the first place, IMO.

I haven't heard McCain say anything to this effect (maybe it's just the pundits and mudslingers at work again?) but I certainly wouldn't blame any president for not wanting to have that position for a full eight years. I can't imagine how grueling that must be for anyone. In fact, knowing that you can never predict what the future holds for you or your family, I think it is realistic to plan for 4 years with maybe another 4 if everyone close to you was still healthy and agreed to it.

I know there was a president (was it Calvin Coolidge?) who held office for 4 years and then decided not to run for another four because he was tired (I think that' s the story-must look into that).

Rainbows&Roses
09-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Maybe in 2016.

In 2012, it would be Palin (or other R candidate) vs Obama. Which is what the media (and R's) are trying to do right now anyway.

I doubt it. I think this may be Obama's only time running.

He has stated that people told him that "time chose him" - that is what people like Senator Durbin and Kennedy told him when he was asking for their advice as to whether to run or not. I love him - have from the start, but I just can't see him running again. It is now or never IMO.

Plus Michelle told him one time only! And I just can't imagine him putting his family through this again. He is so young, I don't know what he will do though. The Senate hardly seems exciting enough. He could just quit and make a lot of money off books and speeches, but that doesn't seem like his calling.

So assuming McCain gets elected, I think there could definitely be a Palin/Clinton match-up if Palin proves she is all that she is touted to be and can win the nomination. And it would be pretty darn interesting!

kijip
09-06-2008, 02:24 AM
I have no doubt McCain will run in 2012 if he is elected this year unless he has a serious change in his medical status. Reagan was almost 74 when he ran for reelection and won. And McCain is in better health than Reagan was.

icunurse
09-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I haven't heard McCain say anything to this effect (maybe it's just the pundits and mudslingers at work again?)

Actually, McCain did say it during the primaries (google and you will find that he actually considered making the "one term" idea part of his campaign and chose against it).

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/01/03/addressing_age_issue_mccain_says_he_may_seek_only_ one_term/

Jennajbug
09-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I will gladly vote for a qualified woman for president, however I will never vote for either Mrs. Clinton or Mrs. Palin.
me neither.

KBecks
09-07-2008, 07:16 PM
So I was talking to someone who thinks that if McCain were to win, he wouldn't run for re-election (since he will be 76 at the time) and she thinks that would put Palin as the next Republcian presidential candidate.

Would Hillary CLinton come back and run against her?

What do you think? (And regardless of your political views, how exciting would that be to have 2 women candidates for president!)

Well, I'd like to get through '08 first. :)

I see it as a possibility.

jk3
09-07-2008, 08:00 PM
I think Obama will win by a very small margin and I think Palin will not run for president in the future.