PDA

View Full Version : Is this tacky?

gatorsmom
09-06-2008, 01:14 AM
I have 2 Graco Sweetpeace swings that I used for the twins for 6 months. I really loved them, used them alot, but took very good care of them. Because I paid almost full price for them and didn't own them terribly long, I saved the packing material with the hopes that I could sell them on CL at some point and get some of my money back. Since the twins don't like to sit in them anymore, I was getting ready to pack them up.

Well, a couple of day ago, DH said that he had 2 employees whose wives were pregnant and we should package the swings up and give them to the employees. Not as anytype of shower gift or anything. He said he thought they'd appreciate them and that we should give them away.

Is that tacky? We don't usually get gifts for employee's "special events" but since we happened to have these and they are in good condition, he thought they'd enjoy them. I'm afraid they will think we are giving them our cast-offs which is kind of what we'd be doing.

WDYT?

kellij
09-06-2008, 01:18 AM
I would tell them that you have the swings and that you loved them but your babies have outgrown them and that you would like to know if they would want them. I'd be all over that if I were them. I think it's very generous of you and not tacky at all. I was just saying that about asking first because they might already have one and they wouldn't need a second one and then you could sell it.

Melanie
09-06-2008, 01:26 AM
ITA, I would offer them to the families, but not wrap them up like a gift or anything.

JTsMom
09-06-2008, 07:41 AM
I agree too- it's not like you're passing them off as new or anything. I would have loved to have someone hand me some like new baby stuff! Especially something like a swing that only gets used for a short time.

lizajane
09-06-2008, 07:50 AM
i don't know anyone who doesn't appreciate a good quality hand me down in great condition!!

Mamma2004
09-06-2008, 07:58 AM
I was grateful for the hand me downs that I received (swing in particular!!!) - I imagine most families would be grateful to you. I agree with asking first, mentioning that your children LOVED the swings and that you would be happy to pass them along.

If neither family is in need (because of already having a swing), go ahead and sell!

g-mama
09-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Totally agree with everyone else. You're not to trying to wrap them in wrapping paper and pass them off as new, so I think it's a fantastic idea. I would definitely have loved that if it were me! I'm sure they'll be appreciative. I would add in that you'd understand if they had something else specific in mind that they had their heart set on.

SnuggleBuggles
09-06-2008, 09:28 AM
I agree with everyone else too. It is a great idea.

Beth

srhs
09-06-2008, 09:33 AM
I think that's VERY generous! (I would have been thrilled if someone had offered that to me.) And sweet of your DH to suggest it.

I would check in with them to be sure they want them though, telling them how much you liked them. Since you were so careful to save everything, it might really bother you if you learned they weren't putting them to good use because they had something similar or were uncomfortable with used or had to have everything in the matching FP line.

A good friend has lent me much of her baby gear. She doesn't plan to have more LOs, but she does want me to return the stuff when I'm done so she can pass it on again or resell or whatever. So that's another option.

ThreeofUs
09-06-2008, 10:12 AM
That sounds great - gosh, I'd LOVE to get a sweetpeace! - but I'd also check with them first to see if they want the swings. As you're not giving them as a gift per se, you can make sure they would be appreciated.

Twoboos
09-06-2008, 10:20 AM
It's very generous, but I would also say check w/them first. I am now all for hand-me-down stuff, but when pregnant w/my first I wanted all new! Although come to think of it, I did borrow a few things from friends that I knew were kept in great condition. So... definitely make the offer!

kijip
09-06-2008, 11:20 AM
I don't think it is a tacky offer. Just ask if they want them. I personally loved hand-me-downs with T and this one and have bought little brand spanking new. What's the point? Empty my wallet for fun? I am too cheap for that! I guess what I am saying is being green (recycling) and generous (giving up something with a high resale value) and thoughtful (thinking of these ladies and their families) and frugal is not at all tacky! :)

Don't those things cost like $160 each? I would reckon they would be happy with the hand me down offer. Only thing I would do is make sure they want that one at all (it scares me to no end because it does all that and is so big+we have limited space so I am not getting one unless I end up with a baby that NEEDS one :)) so it might be something they were planning to skip. With some babies it seems to be a lifesaver so they might want to take it just in case or ask you for it when the baby arrives.

gatorsmom
09-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Only thing I would do is make sure they want that one at all (it scares me to no end because it does all that and is so big+we have limited space so I am not getting one unless I end up with a baby that NEEDS one :)) so it might be something they were planning to skip. With some babies it seems to be a lifesaver so they might want to take it just in case or ask you for it when the baby arrives.

LOL. You are right. They are great swings- they all but nurse the baby to sleep. But they are also huge. So I think I"ll ask them if they are interested and if they are interested, I"m dropping the swings off right away. I really want my space freed up again so I"m not going to wait for their babies to arrive. But yeah, if these ladies want them, Ill drop em off and then the swings are all theirs. If later they decide they don't want them or need them, that's fine, the swings are theirs. THEY can put them on CL!