PDA

View Full Version : Do you and your DH vote the same or do your votes cancel?

bubbaray
09-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Just curious

kijip
09-06-2008, 12:45 PM
We are both members of the same party. He tends to be a bit more of a fiscal liberal than me (I am more fiscally conservative) but we are both very liberal on social issues. But we both vote pretty much the same way. I am sure in some cases not, but for the most part we vote for the same people.

icunurse
09-06-2008, 12:56 PM
DH grew up with a VERY Rep family. My family wasn't too into politics (I became interested on my own), but they lean Democrat. DH was somewhat Rep when we met, but now he would describe himself as a Dem. I like to think that I brought him over to the dark side ;)

MontrealMum
09-06-2008, 12:56 PM
I voted "other"

In the US, I'm sure we'd be voting the same (if DH could vote).

In Canada...I'm not so sure. The intricacies of elections and parties and votes counting, or counting for the *wrong* party here in Quebec, being Anglo...baffling, just baffling. I know how DH will vote, but there is a possibility that I might not vote the same...and I don't know that I'm going to tell him about it!

elliput
09-06-2008, 01:06 PM
I voted "other", as in the past sometimes we have voted the same and other times not. This year it looks like we will be voting similarly.

Wife_and_mommy
09-06-2008, 01:35 PM
DH grew up with a VERY Rep family. My family wasn't too into politics (I became interested on my own), but they lean Democrat. DH was somewhat Rep when we met, but now he would describe himself as a Dem. I like to think that I brought him over to the dark side ;)

Our story is similar except I brought DH over to the light side.;)

My MIL is a staunch Dem. Working for a certain branch of the govn't didn't help at all. We think FIL is a closet Rep.:ROTFLMAO: He's not very enthusiastic in his agreement with her.

As a funny aside, my poor MIL...all her children were "converted" to Reps by their spouses. She seriously falls ill every election year from it.:hysterical:

kayte
09-06-2008, 01:36 PM
When we met we were polar opposites... and voted opposite in the first few presidential elections, but after 15 years together he has seen the error of his ways! LOL!!! We have been voting similarly-especially in local elections where education is a factor (school board, bonds, props) --for about the last 10 years.

ilfaith
09-06-2008, 01:40 PM
DH and I are both registered Democrats, however he has always been a fan of McCain, and doesn;t care for Obama, and plans to vote Republican in November. So this year we'll be cancelling each other out.

I was originally a Clinton supporter...however a woman on the ticket is certainly not going to swing me over to the other side (especially a woman I fear may try to pass legislation to turn the Mall into a hunting preserve and stock the Reflecting Pool with wild salmon.). I will be voting for Obama.

I have voted Republican in the past...on the local level...of course Mike Bloomberg for Mayor was a choice more liberal than many Democrats in the south where I live now.

MelissaTC
09-06-2008, 03:06 PM
We normally cancel each other out. I tend to vote Democrat and he, Republican. But Sarah Palin scares the crap out of him so he may go Libertarian this year.

lizajane
09-06-2008, 03:31 PM
we are both very socially liberal (pro choice, pro gay marriage, anit-death penalty, etc) but DH looks closer at local rep. candidates as his career depends on local growth (construction) and the dems often prevent city expansion. i believe in green space, but i also believe in DH. so it is hard for me to say i will vote with him or against him in local politics when growth is concerned.

i am so very liberal, my marriage was dependant on someone with my beliefs. as in, i would not have married someone who was far right because i feel so strongly about being far left. however, i have a number of VERY close friends who are very far right and that suits me just fine and i don't try to convert them and they don't try to convert me. we agree to disagree and i respect that they make different choices than I.