PDA

View Full Version : Are there any blogs or websites that can help me with this?

gatorsmom
09-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Because we had some bad hail damage from all the severe storms this past summer, insurance is paying for a new roof. DH and I had discussed when the twins were born, that in 5 or 6 years we'd have to figure out where we'd put Greenbean, our boy twin since he currently shares a room with his sister. We decided that we really love our house and our lot and that we'd add-on a room or 2 over the garage. This would require that we raise the roof. So we decided to do the construction work now before we have our new roof put on.

Here's the dilemna: in order to have this work done, we had an architect come out and look at our house. He is a good one, has done work with one of the major home builders in our city and works often with the the guy who will be doing the construction. So, he's been working on the layout of the new rooms above the garage. There is enough room there for 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and a laundry room as well as some more storage space.

ok, so here's my question: I don't like the layout he's suggesting. It just doesnt' make much sense. I have no experience with this sort of thing but I can just tell that this is not the best set-up. However, since i have no experience, I don't know how to fix it. I'd just like some suggestions to take back to this architect. I don't think getting another architect is the answer, necessarily. I really don't want to rock the boat. The guy has been out to our house a couple of times now to work with us on this. But the only progress on it that we've made has been from the suggestions I've offered. He really doesn't bring much innovative to the project. Is there a website, or blogsite or something I can check out that might give me some ideas? Maybe something with floorplan layouts?

I'm totally lost on this and would really appreciate any help. tia

hillview
09-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Am sure you've checked out HGTV. I've also had shockingly good luck with friends suggestions (esp folks with kids and who have done some work on their place).
HTH
/hillary

LBW
09-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Maybe the forums here?
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/

I've gotten great advice when making home remodeling decisions.

I know you don't want to bring in another architect, but it honestly sounds like you might need to. How invested is he in the project if he's not being creative at this point? Is he really going to see it through in the level of detail you want?

One other suggestion is to speak to your builder about your concerns. He or she might have some great ideas.