PDA

View Full Version : Would you get a video monitor for an almost 4 year old?

lmwbasye
09-06-2008, 08:03 PM
The kiddo is driving me nuts. I think he's in bed, and the next thing I know he has Little Einstein stickers all over his bed, pulled down his quilt off the wall, messed up the shades in his room, and brushed the dogs teeth with his toothbrush. Now these are all on different occassions, but it is nearly daily that he has been up for some amount of time and I don't hear him. In addition, he is starting to not nap. However, with DH gone I need that time for getting things done, so he at least needs to be in his room. I'm worried about introducing quiet play with him without being able to see him.

I'm really tempted to do this and maybe use it for DS2 (11 months) later on (when DH is home maybe).

Any other ideas?

TIA!

WatchingThemGrow
09-06-2008, 08:42 PM
We got the video monitor to see into BOTH rooms (purchased an extra camera). It helps me to be able to get more done when I can see and hear that she's playing nicely in there and not jumping off the bed, etc.

Honestly, though, sometimes I wish I didn't know because it just makes me frustrated she's playing with her dolls and not sleeping.

ETA: We finally decided to purchase it when I was about nuts after DD jumped out of her crib like 9 times one afternoon. I feel your pain.

lorinick
09-06-2008, 09:20 PM
He may be done with napping. Some children stop napping around age 4. Sorry to say. I know alot of children that age only sleep if they were very active that day. My oldest was a sleeper. My 13mt old isn't a sleeper. He likely won't be napping at 4. Not what I want to think about. Getting a video monitor may not be needed or needed very long if you do decide to purchase.

lmwbasye
09-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Oh, that's part of the point. I know he's not napping very much and I'm so cool with that. That being said, he needs to be in his room for some quiet time...reading books, puzzles, playing quietly. Both of us need that down time. With napping, he's asleep, so I don't need to see him. With this new up and down and playing in the room stuff, I feel like I need to "see" him more now than ever.

lorinick
09-06-2008, 10:04 PM
That is true. But you may be watching the monitor more than getting anyting done. I'm not sure what the right choice is there.

LexyLou
09-07-2008, 08:27 AM
I also have a video monitor in both girls rooms. My oldest has had hers since she was 9 months old so I don't know if I would have gone out and bought one specifically for her now but I sure do like having it.

She also is giving up naps but has to have quiet time and I like to be able to see how quiet or rather how un-quiet her quiet time is.

It's probably overkill but it's also quite funny at times to watch her rock her babies or jump out of her bed to grab something and then run back quickly so she doesn't get caught.