PDA

View Full Version : Do you have an organizer/daily planner etc that you love?

niccig
09-07-2008, 02:40 AM
I need to have something for writing all my to-do lists, appointments, phone numbers, shopping lists etc. I used to use a planner when I worked, but I've gotten out of the habit, and I'm wasting too much time because of forgetfulness eg. forgot to stop at drugstore and had to make an extra trip later in the day.

I'm SAHM, DS is in preschool 3 days, and I'm looking to go back part-time, so I need to get a handle on my time.

Nothing too big, as I'll be putting it in my purse and swapping to diaper bag on non-preschool days.

I think I'm looking for a paper system. I do have an old Palm, but as I'm notorious for not charging my cell phone and have to charge when driving, I think I should forget about electronic for now.

Thanks.

dhano923
09-07-2008, 03:06 AM
How about a Blackberry? That way you'll never lose it, being as it'll be your phone too. I <heart> my Blackberry. I work 50 hours/week, and have 2 kids and it really helps me keep all my work and home things organized.

You can enter in all your appointments, contacts, etc in Outlook and then sync it with your Blackberry. I sync mine every other day. It'll then remind you of your appointments and tasks you have set up (or not remind you, it's your choice). I have separate folders for my work emails and personal emails too and each has it's own notification sound so I can tell just by the sound whether it's a personal or work email. I did the same with my work meetings and personal appointments.

MontrealMum
09-07-2008, 03:34 AM
I use the Quo Vadis university agenda, but that might not be big enough for your needs - paper to write things on, places to stuff things. They do have different styles, but I especially like how small mine is (weekly layout, with small sidebar for notes, and phone/address book at the back). My good friend (also a grad student with a child) has just bought a Moleskine (they're new back on the market) and LOVES it. So, maybe check those out?

AngelaS
09-07-2008, 06:54 AM
I LOVE the Amy Knapp Family Organizer. I've been using it for almost 3 years and it's great! :)

WatchingThemGrow
09-07-2008, 07:58 AM
niccig, I'm in the same boat as you. I used to be great about it when I was teaching, and now I'm really lost without it. I'm using Google Calendar so DH and I can see our whole week (ok, MIL shares hers too so I can see when she's not available to babysit).

I'm thinking about just making my own on a program and printing it off, filling in the "new" weekly details in writing.

I'm totally tempted by the electronic gadgets, but I don't want to have a monthly subscription, data plan, or what you said, something I forget to charge. That is SO me.

egoldber
09-07-2008, 08:05 AM
I use the calendar and address book on my phone for most things. I also have a tear-off pad of weekly planners that I write my weekly detailed list of things to to do (fitting in errands around school, Amy's classes, etc,) and I put my weekly shopping list on the back. It has been working for me for about 6 months now.

Swimfreak78
09-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Which version do you use?

bubbaray
09-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I need to watch this thread. I HATE electronic systems, tried them and they do NOT work for me. I'm currently using the calendar in Outlook at work and keep missing appointments.

I have a nice looking small Coach agenda, but its heavy. I have a Franklin Covey compact one, which isn't compact at all -- huge & bulky.

jillmk
09-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I use a MomAgenda spiral refill and love it! It took me a week or two to get used to it, but I really love it now. I work part-time, have one DD in school, two in day care part-time. I use two of the bottom squares for my to-do lists. It really works well! I decided on a spiral instead of the prettier ones because I "needed" it to open up flat.

I used to use an Amy Knapp (liked the format quite a bit, but didn't love the look of it if that makes sense--not nearly as "pretty" as the momAgenda.) And before that a Franklin Covey, which just got too bulky.

egoldber
09-07-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm currently using the calendar in Outlook at work and keep missing appointments.

DH and I both keep our calendars (and contacts) in Outlook and then we sync them to our phones. That way you get the functionality of Outlook for making things like recurring appointments but have the convenience of carrying your calendar with you. I always have my phone with me, but carrying an additional electronic organizer just didn't work for me.

Karenn
09-07-2008, 12:17 PM
I use the calendar and address book on my phone for most things.

Forgive my ignorance, but what kind of phone has a calendar? Is it a blackberry type thing or more of a regular phone?

niccig
09-08-2008, 12:41 PM
I asked a friend about her planner, and she told me she swapped to the iphone and Loves it. She puts all her appts on the computer or phone and syncs it up so both are up-to-date. DH now wants me to take his iPhone, so he can buy the new one. Sigh. DH has been wanting to upgrade for awhile, he always wants to upgrade once the newest thing comes out. I'm not too keen on the idea for that reason, even though when I played with the phone last night, I could see that it's useful to make recurring appts etc. I also don't want an increased monthly phone bill and I don't think I'll use the phone to surf the web - DH does all the time, my current phone has web access and I never use it.

egoldber
09-08-2008, 01:14 PM
DH now wants me to take his iPhone, so he can buy the new one. Sigh.

:ROTFLMAO: That's EXACTLY what we just did LOL!!!! I've been using DH's "old" iPhone for about a month now and I love it. Before that I had an older model Blackberry (the pre-cursor to the Pearl) and I liked it fine but the iPhone is really superior IMO.

Forgive my ignorance, but what kind of phone has a calendar?

There are a lot of phones now that will sync to Outlook (or whatever you use), not just Blackberries and iPhones.

I use it in conjunction with a MomMe weekly planner. Its basically just a pad with a place to write things down. Each week I fill in all my appointments and classes, then I figure out my errand schedule around those and fill it in. I tear it off, write my shopping lists on the back (its a big sheet), fold it up and put it in my bag. Love it. I hate carrying a binder or large planner, so this works for me.

http://www.lobotome.com/momme2.htm