PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor stealing paper WWYD?

lisams
09-07-2008, 12:38 PM
For the last few weeks our Sunday paper has been missing. About a month ago while we were upstairs in DDs bedroom we saw the neighbor drive by and their teen son hopped out and took our neighbor's paper (it was a Sunday and we had already gone out and picked ours up). So we're pretty sure it's them taking it although we don't have any proof. It's always only the Sunday paper, and when we go around the neighborhood other people have their paper, so we're pretty sure it's being delivered.

I'm not sure what to do, but it's really making me mad. I know it's petty, but I enjoy getting the ads and coupons and darnit it's our paper we paid for. I'm such a wimp and don't think I could confront them about it. What should I do?!

Puddy73
09-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Do you talk to this neighbor very often? If so, I would probably just ask casually if they had a problem with their paper not being delivered some days, or if they've noticed anyone taking their paper. If they are the culprit, they will probably get the hint.

lisams
09-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Do you talk to this neighbor very often? If so, I would probably just ask casually if they had a problem with their paper not being delivered some days, or if they've noticed anyone taking their paper. If they are the culprit, they will probably get the hint.

No, they're not very friendy people. We wave to them and sometimes get a wave back, but that's about it. They do not get the paper. I was thinking of having DH go over and ask if they've seen anyone taking our paper.

Last Sunday I had put up a small sign out front saying "Do not take our paper" and our paper was left there. This week it's gone.

geochick
09-07-2008, 01:46 PM
I'd hide early in the morning and pop out with my hands on my phone as they take the paper. I'd tell them that if they take the paper again, I'll be dialing the police. I'd tell them you've also been taking pictures.

mommy111
09-07-2008, 02:21 PM
If you don't want to confront or accuse anyone, I'd put a note out saying: 'Our paper has been repeatedly stolen, so we are now video monitoring our home. Please understand that we will prosecute anyone caught stealing our paper. Thank you.' Leave it there for a few weeks and they'll get the message. Otherwise, just casually mention to them that our paper was getting stolen repeatedly so now we've installed video surveillance of our driveway and intend to prosecute whoever takes our paper.

ThreeofUs
09-07-2008, 02:22 PM
I'd take pictures! And then I'd casually mention the pictures to said paper theives.

Btw, your paper carrier would also be very interested to know this, especially if you and/or your other neighbor were calling the CS at the paper to either complain or to get another paper sent out. This type of call goes on the paper carrier's record.

AngelaS
09-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Save this weeks, put something nasty in it, you know like what the neighbor's dog leaves in your yard, roll it up, put it back in the bag and next week, veeerry early put it back out there for them to take. ;)

Oh man.... PMS is really wreckin' havoc on me today!

motherofone
09-07-2008, 02:30 PM
This is a tad complicated but here's an idea. Sneak a photo of them stealing the paper. Then print out a sheet with the picture and fake headline-kind of newspapery "Neighbors caught stealing newspaper." Put in a story about the victims not having their paper, not knowing the news, not getting important coupons, how they were planning on getting the police involved if it didn't stop. Next, wake up super early the next week and grab the paper and insert the printout in the front section-right after the first page.

maestramommy
09-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Okay, I had to check this thread, because I wasn't sure it was what I thought it was. How bizarre! But I love everyone's responses!:hysterical:

scoop22
09-07-2008, 02:44 PM
i would contact the carrier before i did anything. sometimes it is hard to talk to a neighbor. we have one i know i wouldn't want to confront. but see what they have to say. maybe they can place it somewhere else for awhile.
wonder why they only take yours???? not that it is right for them to take others. maybe they get the other throughout the week... i hope you get this solved. i would be bummed to if i didn't get my ads

lisams
09-07-2008, 02:54 PM
I love you guys! The replies have me here LOL!!! OK, so I think we're going to rig a paper and stick it out early next Sunday - something with a note about how we're onto them. I'm so tempted to say in the note that this paper has a special microchip tracking device and the police are now aware of who is stealing it, but that's just me being evil and I don't think I could really do it (but would love to see the reaction of someone reading it after stealing the paper!). Thanks for all of the suggestions, you guys are great!!

jd11365
09-07-2008, 03:05 PM
I love you guys! The replies have me here LOL!!! OK, so I think we're going to rig a paper and stick it out early next Sunday - something with a note about how we're onto them. I'm so tempted to say in the note that this paper has a special microchip tracking device and the police are now aware of who is stealing it, but that's just me being evil and I don't think I could really do it (but would love to see the reaction of someone reading it after stealing the paper!). Thanks for all of the suggestions, you guys are great!!

I'd print the note on the computer so you can print several copies and stick them in each section in case they're only taking it for one of them, like coupons. I'd also be up early Sunday morning peeking out to see who was taking it!

geochick
09-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Fill a dummy paper with cayenne pepper and return it to the usual spot.

AngelaS
09-07-2008, 04:05 PM
How about a 'Did you smile pretty for my survelliance camera?' note inside of it?

rgavelis
09-07-2008, 04:25 PM
A thought occurred to me that maybe they may be stealing the paper from you because you don't want a confrontation. I couldn't stand for that and I would have to say something. I agree with others in that you should ask if they noticed similar things happening to other neighbors that way it's a little less confrontational. Personally I would make up a bill for the papers they stole and present it to them with a smile and let them know you'll be collecting for it later. I hate people who behave like this. They suck!!

elliput
09-07-2008, 05:04 PM
I'd contact the paper carrier to inform them about the thefts, and request they put the paper inside the screen door or in a box on the front step. IMO, it is just as much their responsibility to help prevent paper theft as it is yours.

lisams
09-07-2008, 05:17 PM
A thought occurred to me that maybe they may be stealing the paper from you because you don't want a confrontation.

This is what I'm thinking since last week I put a sign up saying "don't take our paper" so they didn't but now this week it was gone. So they know we're not happy about it but obviously don't really care. People like this just blow me away. This is my paper I paid for, it's on my property, and I'm your neighbor for goodness sakes. Grrrr.

DH sent an email to the paper carrier and explaned what we think is happening. We'll see what they say.

StantonHyde
09-07-2008, 05:23 PM
I think you should put a present in each section--dog doodoo in one, cayenne in another, etc etc. You could even glue all the pages together....

I'm sorry, but I think it would be fun.

DH always mowed the lawn as a kid and it really ticked him off that one guy would walk his dog by their lawn and the dog would poop every day and every day the guy would not pick it up. So DH gathered all the poop for the week, went over to the guy's house in the night and scattered it all over the guy's porch. The dog never pooped in the yard again.

AngelaS
09-07-2008, 05:40 PM
I think you should put a present in each section--dog doodoo in one, cayenne in another, etc etc. You could even glue all the pages together....

I'm sorry, but I think it would be fun.

DH always mowed the lawn as a kid and it really ticked him off that one guy would walk his dog by their lawn and the dog would poop every day and every day the guy would not pick it up. So DH gathered all the poop for the week, went over to the guy's house in the night and scattered it all over the guy's porch. The dog never pooped in the yard again.

My BIL had a horrid neighbor--sprayed weedkiller on their flowerbeds, put nails in the road by their driveway, etc, etc. BIL got even by throwing dog doo on the canopy over their backyard pool and in their pool. Suddenly, the wacko neighbor stopped picking on them. :P

KBecks
09-07-2008, 06:12 PM
I think I would cancel the subscription, but I don't subscribe to the newspaper anyway.

pb&j
09-07-2008, 07:21 PM
I think I would cancel the subscription, but I don't subscribe to the newspaper anyway.

Instead of cancelling yours, why don't you call and subscribe your neighbors? Then they get a paper, of course they also get a bill for it. ;)

bubbaray
09-07-2008, 07:34 PM
You could even glue all the pages together.....

Ah, yes, 2 birds with one stone. Craft project for the kids and get back at the neighbor. LOVE it!

khm
09-07-2008, 07:57 PM
If you decide to just cancel yours, try your grocery store after Sunday. Two of the stores where we used to live would sell the Sunday papers the next day for 50 cents. You still get all the ads/coupons, just a day late!

I haven't tried buying it where we are now, having all that paper around bugs me and I'm a terrible couponer anyways. ;)

KBecks
09-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Instead of cancelling yours, why don't you call and subscribe your neighbors? Then they get a paper, of course they also get a bill for it. ;)

Oh that's SO MUCH BETTER!!!!

If your paper has a "bill me later" option, GO FOR IT!

s7714
09-08-2008, 12:45 AM
I'd definitely try to get a picture or video of them red handed. But I would wait and see what the newspaper/carrier says first before taking it to the next level.

We had someone stealing our newspaper last year. Some Sundays they'd take the whole thing and other Sundays I'd come out to find they'd literally pulled it out of the bag and taken only a section or two. :32: I was so peeved when that happened. I put our newspaper on vacation hold for three weeks (even though we weren't on vacation) and we haven't had any problems since deliver started back up.

DrSally
09-08-2008, 11:55 PM
That's terrible. When I lived in a townhouse with 6 other units (with own entrance), I never received my paper, so I just cancelled and drove to the paper machine thingy every Sunday to get my paper. Less hassle. That would be the nonconfrontational thing to do. Either that or get up really early. You could put a note on your paper box that you've seen people taking your paper and would appreciate it being left b/c you paid for it. Maybe that would shame them into leaving it.

DrSally
09-08-2008, 11:58 PM

That's a good idea.

ETA: In fact, I love all the ideas! You guys are so creative!

MarisaSF
09-09-2008, 12:10 AM
That stinks. Sorry!
The first thing I'd do is contact the carrier/subscription office and explain the problem. They may credit you for the weeks that you didn't get your copy.

It would be a lot of work to get up early, etc. to take pics/video. Can you leave on outdoor lights or rig a motion-detection light?

My other thought is perhaps the "bad" neighbors weren't stealing your other neighbor's paper the morning you saw them do that. Is it possible that they were picking up a paper while the others were on vacation?

Tondi G
09-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Our old neighbor in an apt building we lived in had an issue with another neighbor taking their paper. She contacted the LA Times and they put a paper on the front that said in bold letters STOP THIEF and some smaller print. I'm sure the paper delivery person could start putting your paper up on your front steps or inside a screen door.... I'd bet they would rather take someone else's paper that is at the end of a walk or driveway instead of going all the way up on someone front porch!

I would attempt to take pics of someone stealing your paper, if you can catch them. If and when you do I would print out a note and just flyer the neighborhood that someone has been stealing your paper and that you have surveilance cameras posted now. That way if the thief stops stealing yours and starts taking another neighbors paper they will be aware that they are not the only people being victimized! With any luck the thief will start buying their own paper. If you do know for sure who it is I would totally call posing as them and order a Sunday subscription..... then they will have no choice but to pay for it!

Good luck.... that would be so annoying to me!