PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Halloween Costumes!

Wife_and_mommy
09-08-2008, 01:47 AM
I know it's early but I have to work ahead.

I'm pretty sure DD and DS are going to be "perky penguins". It's a Family Fun costume that *says* it's simple to make. :ROTFLMAO:

DD was excited when I mentioned it and I like them to match or coordinate so this will work well.

Do you have plans yet? Do tell one way or the other.:)

randomkid
09-08-2008, 02:00 AM
Oh yes, we've had DD's costume since May - lol! This is because we paid $100 for her dance recital costume and I said, "She is wearing this for Halloween!" So, I started early talking about it and she was totally sold.

First, she was going to be a princess (fortunately, she's into dressing up and being a princess right now), but now she is going to be Glinda from the Wizard of Oz. The dress looks very much like a short version of Glinda's dress and DD is totally into the Wizard of Oz right now - just tonight, DH was "Scarecrow" and I was "Tin Man" all night long. I bought a wand for $1 at Target, she is using pink hand me down dress shoes and we have a crown, but it's not a Glinda crown. I may have to make one of those somehow.

Anyway, I'm so excited because I am usually the one running around at the last minute trying to get some final detail for the costume. This year, we are set waaayyy in advance - lol! It's an expensive costume, but I'm very pleased to have another use for that stinkin' dress! After Halloween, DD can wear it to play dress up as much as she pleases!

KBecks
09-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Alek is going to wear the Old Navy red dragon costume. John is wearing a green dragon/dinosaur costume I found at a rummage sale this summer. It's fun that they will coordinate.

I don't know about the new babe, and don't know if he will join us for trick or treat or whether I should do a cute bunting costume or not. I kind of liked a caterpillar that Gymboree had.

JTsMom
09-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Jason is going to be Jack from Jack's Big Music Show. I had this brilliant idea to make him a Mel (the dog) to carry with him, and have been working on that for several weeks now. If you've never made a stuffed animal, it's quite a feat!

I haven't even started on the Jack part yet, but I think it will be a lot easier.

Happy 2B mommy
09-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Right now DD is into monkeys and ladybugs. She was a ladybug last year, but I doubt the costume will fit her. I've been looking for a cheap monkey costume, but haven't had any luck.

BTW, I was at Costco yesterday and they had some really cute Halloween costumes there for $10.00. Just in case I can't find a monkey, I picked up the elephant costume, which DD saw and started chanted "Element! Element! Element!" She held it all the way home and sang to it.

cdlamis
09-08-2008, 10:16 AM
I LOVE Halloween and start planning way early. This year, my DDs chose to be Annie and Sandy (from the Annie movie). Luckily, my 3 yr old DD is so easy going and doesn't mind being the dog! :)

KrystalS
09-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Kerri - They have a monkey costume at Old Navy, I think they are about $20.

Not sure yet what DD is going to be. She likes the costumes from Pottery Barn Kids so I think we might go look this weekend and let her pick one out. I was able to sell her Tinkerbell costume from last year on ebay for more than I paid for it so we have extra $ to spend this year! Gotta love Ebay!

brittone2
09-08-2008, 12:01 PM
I think DD is going to wear a cute hand-me-down chicken costume we got from a friend of mine. DS will be a farmer (overalls, plaid shirt, straw hat, etc.). I think I'm going to get him to walk and either pull her in a wagon (with some straw and wooden eggs in there), or have him pull her on his little tractor (he has a ride on tractor and a small wagon that hooks onto it...they do this in our yard anyway).

I grabbed a bunch of costumes last year for 80% off at TRU the day after Halloween, so I have a pirate costume if DS wants it, and we have a bunch of stuff DD could wear (fairy wings/costume, tutu, cheerleader outfit, some of DS's old costumes, etc). So hopefully they'll both find something they can agree to wear ;)

randomkid
09-08-2008, 12:21 PM
I think DD is going to wear a cute hand-me-down chicken costume we got from a friend of mine. DS will be a farmer (overalls, plaid shirt, straw hat, etc.). I think I'm going to get him to walk and either pull her in a wagon (with some straw and wooden eggs in there), or have him pull her on his little tractor (he has a ride on tractor and a small wagon that hooks onto it...they do this in our yard anyway).

I grabbed a bunch of costumes last year for 80% off at TRU the day after Halloween, so I have a pirate costume if DS wants it, and we have a bunch of stuff DD could wear (fairy wings/costume, tutu, cheerleader outfit, some of DS's old costumes, etc). So hopefully they'll both find something they can agree to wear ;)

I LOVE the farmer and chicken idea, esp with the tractor! I know you don't post pics, but I would love to see that. :)

maestramommy
09-08-2008, 12:24 PM
For Dora she will be wearing the bumblebee costume from last year. It was really big then so this year it should look better on her. The skirt is a striped tutu, and if I have time I'm going to sew the tulle together.

For Arwyn she will wear the ladybug costume I made for Dora's first Halloween. Same kind of tutu so I'm going to try and sew that together as well.

niccig
09-08-2008, 12:35 PM
DS wants to be a pilot. We looked through a catalogue the other night, and despite Bob the Builder or Super Heroes, he wants to be a pilot. DH may dress up too. DS then said he wants me to dress up, and I can be the person giving out drinks. I told him women can be pilots, so I'll be a pilot too!

LarsMal
09-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Kerri - They have a monkey costume at Old Navy, I think they are about $20.

I just bought the monkey costume for DD at Old Navy. They are 25% off right now during the baby sale.

The woman told me the monkeys go first, they are very popular!

LarsMal
09-08-2008, 01:41 PM
I started early this year because we already knew what they were going to be. Both DS and DD love Curious George, so I bought DD a monkey costume at Old Navy and I ordered DS the yellow hat from the Curious George store online. Now I just have to find some yellow clothes, or some white ones that I can dye yellow.

Last year they were Elmo and Dorothy, this year George and The Man in the Yellow Hat. I don't know if I'll be able to get away with it next year, but DH thinks next year they should be Luke Sywalker, Princes Leia, and the latest addition could be Yoda!

KBecks
09-08-2008, 01:52 PM
I LOVE the farmer and chicken idea, esp with the tractor! I know you don't post pics, but I would love to see that. :)

I like it too! I have a chicken costume from Alek from 2 years ago..... I'll have to keep the farm theme in mind for future Halloweens!!!

mdb78
09-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Last year she was a pumpkin. We went to a really good pumpkin patch and took pictures of her sitting in the middle of all the pumpkins. The look on her face was so cute!

This year she's going to be a ladybug. Just waiting for my tulle to arrive! :)

rlu
09-08-2008, 01:59 PM
DS originally wanted to be a fireman (easy 'nuff and I bought a red bucket at Michaels for 20c that I was going to stencil for a fire bucket as his loot bag) but changed his mind and now wants to be Speed Racer (from the original show, not the recent movie). We scored white baseball pants, a blue shirt (I need to add the white collar and trim plus the G), and an old bike helmet that looks close to Speeds (need to paint white and add M) at Goodwill. New red socks and DH's red scouting kerchief and all I need to buy now are the shoes (Speed wears brown loafers but we're planning to get brown boots) and the kidskin gloves (hopefully OSH/Ace/Home Depot).

Haven't decided what he'll use to carry his loot - we only trick'or'treat a few houses, but we usually have a trick'or'treat at work.

I think DH is going to be Pops Racer and I'll be Mrs. Racer (I don't think they ever give her name in the English version.) DH would prefer I be Trixie but I don't have the body for that at the moment. DH is being ambitious and thinking he'll make the wagon the Mach 5.

DS was a garbageman last year, I was the recycle lady and DH the yard waste man. We just wore jeans with shirts with iron-on letters, work gloves and boots/tennies. DS used a garbage bag as his loot bag.

lmintzer
09-08-2008, 02:00 PM
My boys are going to be Thing 1 and Thing 2 (from the Cat and the Hat). DH will be the cat (for a neighborhood party), and I'm still working on ideas for me. My first thought was the fish, but I'm not sure exactly how to pull that off. Then, there's the mother (I could do a 1950's mother look).

We have incorporated our wagon into our Halloween theme for the last 3 years. I'm ambivalent about doing it again, as Joshua should be able to walk the whole time. Hmmm.

Jen841
09-08-2008, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=LarsMal]I started early this year because we already knew what they were going to be. Both DS and DD love Curious George, so I bought DD a monkey costume at Old Navy and I ordered DS the yellow hat from the Curious George store online. Now I just have to find some yellow clothes, or some white ones that I can dye yellow.

I dyed a white shirt and a pair of DH's khaki's yellow and it worked. He has been the man in the yellow hat for 2 years now. E was "George".

My kids will be something in our basement. We have 20+ costumes from sales/Grandma/holidays/handmedowns they want to pick from. Got to love using what we have.

Happy 2B mommy
09-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks Krystal and Julie. I'm off to Old Navy tomorrow.

saschalicks
09-08-2008, 03:55 PM
It was easy for me. When I saw the monkey costume on ON I knew DS2 had to be the monkey. We call him our silly monkey and he loves it so much he tells me "mama I a monkey". I knew he'd love it.

DS1 made it clear he wants to be a fireman in a red suit. We had the black suit, and that wasn't good enough. Good thing we lost part of the costume or he'd be wearing it anyway. LOL!

pb&j
09-08-2008, 03:59 PM
DS wants to be a pilot. We looked through a catalogue the other night, and despite Bob the Builder or Super Heroes, he wants to be a pilot. DH may dress up too. DS then said he wants me to dress up, and I can be the person giving out drinks. I told him women can be pilots, so I'll be a pilot too!

Amen, sister! You can be the captain (4 stripes) and DS can be the First Officer (3 stripes). Get DH some coveralls and lighted wands like these ( http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&Product_ID=11463&CATID=177 ), and he can be the ramper/guy who marshalls the plane. :)

hillview
09-08-2008, 04:04 PM
DS #1 will be a lion a la baby costume (he is often a lion at home)
DS #2 will be a turkey a la BRU costume (he is a turkey often at home)

:)
/hillary

niccig
09-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Amen, sister! You can be the captain (4 stripes) and DS can be the First Officer (3 stripes). Get DH some coveralls and lighted wands like these ( http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&Product_ID=11463&CATID=177 ), and he can be the ramper/guy who marshalls the plane. :)

Great idea.

I don't think DS was being sexist. When DH first mentioned being a pilot too, DS said there was only one pilot so DH could give out the drinks. We then explained the first officer, so he said DH could be a pilot too. Then when it was my turn, he again said hand out the drinks and when I questioned him on it, he said that after the drinks were done, I could fly the plane too. I just want him to know that women are capable of flying planes too...

MamaMolly
09-08-2008, 04:47 PM
DD is going as Abby Cadabby. I have some pink Gymbo leggings from last year and a long sleeved onezie and over that she is wearing a light blue tank top and a blue and lavender tutu I finished making on Saturday. I'm going to make pink and purple pompom hair clips and for her loot bag I found a little canvas bag at Michael's summer sale (20 cents!) that matches the pink shirt and leggings. I saw some cute wings at the $1 store and need to go get them before they sell out...

I think some screaming blue eyeshadow and purple freckles and she'll be done!

nrp
09-08-2008, 05:38 PM
I just received my ON order of the monkey for DD and the banana bunting for DS. Really cute - but as popular as the ON monkey costume appears to be at least in this thread, I hope there aren't five of them on our block!

ilfaith
09-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Last year the boys went as dalmation puppies, and I was Cruella DeVille.

I got ears similar to these...
http://www.thejunglestore.com/Gift-Catalog/Ears-Headbands/DALMATION-HEADBAND-BE5893
at PBKids, and made the resto of the costume by stamping spots with black shoe polish onto white turtlenecks and tights. Noah actually painted the spots on his own costume, and was very proud to have helped make it himself.

This year I have no idea what they are going to be. Noah wants to be Spiderman...or Ironman...or Hulk, so I have a feeling I'm not going to have much say in the matter.

kijip
09-08-2008, 05:49 PM
T has said he either wants to be a bee (same as last year, should still fit) or a fireman (in which case I will take reflective tape to a cheap rain suit.)

fivi2
09-08-2008, 05:51 PM
DD is going as Abby Cadabby. I have some pink Gymbo leggings from last year and a long sleeved onezie and over that she is wearing a light blue tank top and a blue and lavender tutu I finished making on Saturday. I'm going to make pink and purple pompom hair clips and for her loot bag I found a little canvas bag at Michael's summer sale (20 cents!) that matches the pink shirt and leggings. I saw some cute wings at the $1 store and need to go get them before they sell out...

I think some screaming blue eyeshadow and purple freckles and she'll be done!

Cute - my girls would LOVE to be Abby Cadabby.

ha98ed14
09-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Just in case I can't find a monkey, I picked up the elephant costume, which DD saw and started chanted "Element! Element! Element!" She held it all the way home and sang to it.

These are the precious things they do that make you love them... This made me smile.

randomkid
09-08-2008, 10:30 PM
I just can't wait to see everybody's Halloween pics this year!

mamaoftwins
09-08-2008, 10:43 PM
DS1 is going to be R2D2. http://www.amazon.com/Infant-Star-Wars-R2D2-Costume/dp/B000YM67Y2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1220928120&sr=1-5

DS2 will be Chewbacca. http://www.amazon.com/Infant-Baby-Chewbacca-Costume-Months/dp/B000J4JT5O

DH & I laughed hysterically when we saw these costumes online ... it's the hats that make them so funny (to us anyway!).

MelissaTC
09-08-2008, 10:49 PM
DS1 is going to be R2D2. http://www.amazon.com/Infant-Star-Wars-R2D2-Costume/dp/B000YM67Y2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1220928120&sr=1-5

DS2 will be Chewbacca. http://www.amazon.com/Infant-Baby-Chewbacca-Costume-Months/dp/B000J4JT5O

DH & I laughed hysterically when we saw these costumes online ... it's the hats that make them so funny (to us anyway!).

Those costumes are so cute and funny!!! I especially love Chewbacca's hat. LOL.

Matthew hasn't said what he wants to be yet but from discussions earlier in the summer, either Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader.

mamaoftwins
09-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Matthew hasn't said what he wants to be yet but from discussions earlier in the summer, either Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader.

Gotta love baby Star Wars costumes. We decided that this would probably be the only year that *we* would be able to choose what the boys dressed as, so we needed to do the best we could. ;)

Edited to add: if anyone is interested, we ordered our costumes from http://www.officialstarwarscostumes.com/ Awesome Customer Service!