PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about allergies

hillview
09-08-2008, 08:55 AM
DS just started preschool and there are 3 kids whose parents handed in epipens. We don't have ANYTHING written out on allergies but in the meeting the night before school they said please don't pack peanut butter. My questions:
So if DS has peanut butter on toast in the am, and he washes his hands and I wipe his face, is that OK?
What if some I can see is on his shirt?
What if some that I can't see is is on his shirt?
Does he need to brush his teeth? I am assuming no ...

I would really like to have something written down. SIGH.

TIA!
/hillary

M&Mmom
09-08-2008, 12:01 PM
I would be safe and wash hands and face with soap and water and brush teeth. or avoid PB on those mornings and have it after school. You don't know how sensitive the kids' allergies are. I know that once when DD was at friends house she broke out in hives because she put her mouth on a toy trumpet after friends son did and he must have had milk on/in his mouth and it got on the trumpet. HTH

LarsMal
09-08-2008, 02:01 PM
I would just avoid it completely if you can (on school mornings).

While washing his hands and face is a good start, it doesn't necessarily wash the protein away. It can take up to several hours for the protein to lose it's "potency" (can't think of a better word right now!).

If you did decide to give it to him and it was on his shirt, I would definitely change his shirt before school. If he leaned against a table and left some peanut butter/protein on the table and the allergy kiddo touched it and then touched their mouth or face it could cause a reaction.

As an allergy kid mama- thanks for being so thoughtful!!

bubbaray
09-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Yeah, ditto what the PPs said.

Thanks for asking! :)