PDA

View Full Version : Car baby mirror

brismom
09-08-2008, 06:44 PM
I know that those mirrors that attach to the headrest of your rear car seats are a hazard (can be a projectile if there was an accident) but when i was getting my car seat checked, the technician mentioned that she has seen cars with a thin adhesive mirror that sticks to the head rest, has anyone heard of these and/or know where to get them? I realize that i should just pull over if I need to check on DD but sometimes I just want that simple glance for peace of mind

elephantmeg
09-08-2008, 08:51 PM
I wonder if they are meant to go on lockers for high school students?

maestramommy
09-08-2008, 09:02 PM
We just have a regular mirror, but it had a tether, so we hooked it onto the FFacing tether on the top of the seat in the middle. That way in an accident, it's firmly tied down. There are times I wish we could move it to one of the side seats, but if it's place right I can see both kids. Until Dora starts kicking it around:p

I think it was an Especially For Baby mirror. Navy blue, no character. It had a light you could turn out with a remote, but that was useless. Still, it's been a very good mirror.

MamaMolly
09-08-2008, 10:20 PM
We have the blue one and the monkey one for our other car. I don't really see how they could become projectile, though. Both of them have loops/hooks that go around the headrest so unless the head rest becomes a projectile...did the tech explain it? Because I certainly don't want use it if it is dangerous, but I'm having trouble picturing it. I would think that a stick on mirror would be much more likely to fly around or fall off. Just the temperature changes the adhesive is subject to make me uneasy. I'd appreciate hearing more.

nov04
09-08-2008, 11:35 PM
We have the blue one and the monkey one for our other car. I don't really see how they could become projectile, though. Both of them have loops/hooks that go around the headrest so unless the head rest becomes a projectile...did the tech explain it? Because I certainly don't want use it if it is dangerous, but I'm having trouble picturing it. I would think that a stick on mirror would be much more likely to fly around or fall off. Just the temperature changes the adhesive is subject to make me uneasy. I'd appreciate hearing more.

That's what I'm thinking. Our FP headrest mirror was fine according to the tech we consulted.

brismom
09-09-2008, 12:51 PM
the tech that told me this was with the highway patrol. She wouldn't even let me put it back on,my mirror has a strap to go around the headrest, velcro and a tether. She said what I did after I left was up to me but per her job she was not allowed to let me leave with it on b/c of its possible hazards.

maestramommy
09-09-2008, 03:50 PM
the tech that told me this was with the highway patrol. She wouldn't even let me put it back on,my mirror has a strap to go around the headrest, velcro and a tether. She said what I did after I left was up to me but per her job she was not allowed to let me leave with it on b/c of its possible hazards.

You have to remember that officers like the tech are bound by strict rules. It's much easier for them to make a blanket policy regarding all mirrors rather than try and define which ones are safe and which aren't. In situations like this I would just use common sense.