PDA

View Full Version : aprons for party favors?

salsah
09-08-2008, 07:09 PM
i'm planning a cookie decorating activity for an upcoming party and i thought that i could give each child an apron to use during the party and then they can take their aprons home with them. would i need to give them something else too or is the apron alone a sufficient favor? i would love to personalize them but i think that may be too expensive. i'm concerned that even aprons alone might be to expensive. does anyone know where i can get some inexpensive kids aprons?

alternatively, i can hand out some cookie cutters w/ a recipe.

any ideas?

tia

ha98ed14
09-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Personally, I think either the apron OR the cookie cutter w/ recipe would be plenty. No need to do both or more. My advice for a place to get the aprons would be Etsy. If you find a seller you like, they will probably cut you a deal if you order a bunch (like 6 or more). Or you can use the Alchemy feature on Etsy, tell them what you want and your budget and then see if you get any takers. This is a good option if you don't want to approach an individual seller. I have used this feature 3 times and have been really happy with what I got. Can you tell I am an Etsy addict :)?

Melaine
09-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I love the idea....I think an apron is PLENTY for a party. I wonder if Michael's or other craft stores might have plain ones for cheap? There are cheap ways you could decorate if you did decide to personalize...

Melaine
09-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Maybe something similar to this, but it's sold out:
http://www.acmoore.com/search.aspx
sorry it dropped my link just search for apron

Melaine
09-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Ahhh this is better:
http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?es=526ALIZPOHS&product=22831

I love this idea, maybe I will borrow it when my girls are older!

Melbel
09-08-2008, 09:33 PM
I recently saw some cooking items, including aprons, in the Target $1 bins. I had purchased a WS personalized apron and cookbook for a birthday gift. I could not resist adding in a chef's hat mixing bowls and measuring spoons for another $3. I think it is a great party favor.

wendmatt
09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Great ideas. The one PP posted looked great, especially if they could decorate them themselves. Cookie cutters is a great idea too, the kids would be happy with either.

lizajane
09-08-2008, 09:57 PM
i would get plain aprons at the craft store and some fabric paint (in the little squeeze tubes) and either YOU write their names on them OR let them decorate them with the paint.

SUCH a cute idea!! love it!!

rlu
09-09-2008, 12:52 AM
i would get plain aprons at the craft store and some fabric paint (in the little squeeze tubes) and either YOU write their names on them OR let them decorate them with the paint.

Love this - wonder if DS would go for it next year.

hillview
09-09-2008, 08:46 AM
I wanted to do this but went with a cheaper option, smocks from Lakeshore Learning.
/hillary

JTsMom
09-09-2008, 09:02 AM
I think these are all great ideas! One other option for personalizing aprons (and yes, Michaels does sell plain ones, and you can use 40% off coupons if you don't mind maing a couple trips) is iron on letters. Really easy and cute!

WS does sales from time to time on their personalized ones, but I think they are around $7.50.

If you can sew even a little bit, they are really easy to make.

Jen841
09-09-2008, 09:10 AM
These are the places I was going to order from when we had a pizza party where they had to "work"... ended up not doing this and doing Bob the Builder Pizza books instead....
www.kng.com
www.allheartchefs.com
www.growingcooks.com

salsah
09-09-2008, 01:53 PM
thanks everyone. i will go ahead with the aprons. where can i get iron on letters? i think that i saw some at joann's but they only had white (which will not work on the white aprons).

salsah
09-15-2008, 07:42 PM

do you mean puffy paint? i would prefer something flat, that i can use w/ stencils or stamps. i asked a salesperson at joann's and she suggested fabricmate pens. i bought one and tested it (labled dd's preschool clothes) but it bled. i'll try to go to micheals this week, maybe i can find something better there.

army_mom
09-15-2008, 10:00 PM
You can get the iron on letters and aprons at any craft store like Michael's, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore, or even Wal-Mart probably has some. Michael's has the coupons which can make it a lot cheaper. Just collect the coupons and make a few trips.

I made my niece an apron for being in our wedding party. I got one of the basic aprons (usually less than $3), put her name on it (iron on), and put an Elmo iron on applique. She loved it!

It is a cute idea for a party...will have to keep it in mind!

Melanie
09-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Check dharma trading company. They have plain canvas aprons, very reasonably priced, and you get a quantity discount. I think they came to $4.50 when I did it.

ALso we went to a pottery painting party that did this for 'functional favors,' and they had the children's names painted on them. That was a nice touch.

ETA: These are the ones I was talking about: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3311709-AA.shtml

GraceH
09-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Oriental Trading has bulk fabric things at decent prices. These should be the aprons:
http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?demandPrefix=12&sku=48/1959&mode=Searching&erec=15&Ipp=16&No=16&D=apron&Ntt=apron&Ntk=all&Dx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&y=0&N=0&Ns=PRICE_prop|0&requestURI=processProductsCatalog&x=0&sd=Child%26%238217%3Bs+Colorful+Aprons
... they have chef's hats for $5/dozen; as well as other canvas items (backpacks, hats, CD cases, purses, etc.) that may be appropriate for other children's interests/party themes.