PDA

View Full Version : Mirena or uterine ablation?

wendmatt
09-08-2008, 09:32 PM
I get REALLY heavy periods and I recently went to a different doctor who recommended uterine ablation. I had an u/s and everything looks pretty normal so no fibroids or anything they could see. They use the hot bag method I think. He did suggest an alternative could be getting Mirena.
Anyone know anything about the ablation? It sounds kind of scary and final like a hysterectomy, we're not planning any more children but still I'm a bit unsure. But then again I hate flooding every month (last month I soaked through a super plus tampon, pantyliner and heavy trousers, sorry if tmi!).

Thanks for any info/opinions.

kransden
09-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I did it last Nov. It results are fantastic! I barely have a period. I felt really bad the first day and tender for about a week. PM me if you want to know more. If you don't plan on having more children it is a great choice.

megs4413
09-08-2008, 10:27 PM
if you're not sure about wanting to have more kids someday, i would go with the hormonal route before you do something so permanent. you could also try some natural remedies. i had trouble with heavy bleeding when i was younger (to the point that i was constantly anemic) and it seemed to get better as my thyroid got under control...do you know if you have thyroid problems?

kristenk
09-08-2008, 11:29 PM
I've had a Mirena IUD for the past 4 years. I don't know anything about uterine ablation.

I had really heavy, crampy periods (take-3-ibuprofen-every-3-hours kind of periods) before the Mirena. For a few months after the insertion, I had a lot of spotting and I was about ready to pull my hair -and the Mirena- out. After that, my period has virtually disappeared. I'll notice a teensy bit of spotting every few months and that's it. It's truly amazing for me.

Good luck with your decision.