PDA

View Full Version : Favorite pre-made Spaghetti Sauce in a jar?

Corie
09-08-2008, 09:42 PM
I buy the exact same Spaghetti Sauce every single time.

Prego Roasted Garlic & Herb

I'm getting bored with it. Any other suggestions??

bubbaray
09-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Simply Natural Tomato & Basil (organic)

Classico Tomato & Basil (not organic, get a variety 3-pack at Costco)

SnuggleBuggles
09-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Newman's Own "Sockaroni" is pretty good (peppers and onions in a tomato sauce). Since it has a strong taste it isn't my all the time sauce.

Lately I have been buying the Whole Foods' organinc pasta sauce- boring, Italian Herb variety.

Beth

stella
Newman's Own Sockarooni.
It's my favorite.

KpbS
We enjoy Barilla Tomato and Basil and Newman's Own Sockarooni. The first is a great basic sauce--easy to add seasoning, veggies, meat, etc. to and the second is a more bold flavorful sauce when time doesn't permit a lot of tinkering.

hth

Melbel
09-08-2008, 09:51 PM
We normally use Barilla tomato and basil.

lizajane
09-08-2008, 09:54 PM
if you have trader joe's, then trader joe's vodka sauce. OMGosh knock your socks off yummy!!!
:)

Corie
09-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Newman's Own Sockarooni.
It's my favorite.

It's funny because the only time I swayed from my
original sauce was to buy Sockarooni.

It's been awhile so I can't remember what I thought
about it. I think it may have been too chunky?

maestramommy
09-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Do you have TJs? Anything Trader Giottos I like. Their roast garlic is good, so is their Vodka sauce. I usually get the Tuscana because it's cheap, but once in a while I'll treat myself.

pb&j
09-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Muir Glen - I like Four Cheese, Fire Roasted Tomato, and Chunky Tomato & Herb.

MelissaTC
09-08-2008, 10:05 PM
I really like the Bertolli Olive Oil and Garlic or Roasted Garlic sauce. It is inexpensive and mighty tasty.

kellij
09-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I went to school for a year in NYC. I was fascinated by the number of spaghetti sauces available. I tried a lot. My favorite was Patsy's. It's ridiculously delicious. It's also a restaurant in NYC. I live in Oklahoma now and it costs more to buy it here, but they do sell it here. It's YUMMY!!

mamicka
09-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't know if this is regional, I haven't seen it anywhere else. Mid's - any variety. http://www.mids.cc/where2findus.htm

Funny, I just looked at the site "where to find" & my state isn't even listed.

LarsMal
09-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I come from a big Italian family so buying jarred sauce is a big no-no!! I don't have the magic touch- or the time- to make my own, so I buy the next best thing.

My favorite is Francesco Rinaldi, but I can't always find it, so my back-up is Prego Marinara or Traditional. Tastes most like Grandma's!

randomkid
09-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Depends on how I'm using it. For spaghetti, Classico Black Olive and Mushroom or Classico Fire Roasted Tomato and Garlic - I usually add meat, onions, fresh garlic, tomatoes and mushrooms and other spices and let it simmer forever.

For lasagna, Prego Chunky Garden Combo (I think that's the name) - I can only find that in the super big jar, but works out just right for a full pan of lasagna.

I used to use Newman's Own Sockarooni for manicotti, but recently tried Prego (don't remember the flavor) and liked it better.

I rarely use sauce out of the jar as is. I add stuff or use it in a recipe.

kijip
09-08-2008, 11:27 PM
When we don't use our own sauce, I like Rising Moon. Newman's is a close second. Here is the info on the Rising Moon stuff- delicious and so many good flavors to choose from.

http://www.risingmoon.com/productlist.aspx?catid=Pasta+Sauce

Twins2000
09-08-2008, 11:33 PM
My favorite, which I buy only once in a while (b/c it's expensive) is Rao's Marinara (also a restaurant in NYC). I'll also buy Victoria's. Or, like a few others have mentioned, the Trader Joe's sauces are great (my favorite is the 3 Cheese). It seems the jarred sauces made with imported tomatoes just plain taste better (to me).

KHF
09-09-2008, 07:38 AM
I won't be much help, as I always get the Prego Traditional. I just haven't found anything that tastes as good to me (and it makes a great "base" sauce for adding other veggies/meats to).

JTsMom
09-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Another very devoted Prego Traditional girl. I've tried many brands, and never found anything as good. For a while, they were making the Organic version and I bought that, but they either discontinued it, or my stores stopped carrying it. I still wanted an organic sauce, so I tried a few more and settled on Whole Foods 365 brand. I prefer the 4 cheese variety so far. It's almost as good as Prego imo.

I've made my own sauce many times- and a really good chef taught me how to- and I STILL didn't like it as much as Prego. :o I normally don't even buy pre-prepared stuff! I don't know if it's b/c that's what my mom used or what.

nupe
09-09-2008, 07:55 AM
1) Newman's Own, Garlic
2) Vodka sauce, I don't remember the brand, comes in a round container w/black lid in the refrigerated section at WF

clb
09-09-2008, 08:12 AM
I make my own too. When I don’t have time I use Barilla. I have tried others, but they taste too sugary for me.

calv
09-09-2008, 08:18 AM
another preggo girl here as well! Always have loved it

Puddy73
09-09-2008, 08:57 AM
We like Newman's Own, but for a quick sauce we often use a Rachael Ray trick - dump a big can of good Italian tomatoes into a pan, crush them up (if not already crushed) and add pesto (fresh, frozen or jarred) to taste. It makes a yummy Tomato Basil sauce that isn't too sweet.

JTsMom
09-09-2008, 09:05 AM
I can't believe how many responses there are! Obviously the BBB feels very strongly about this subject! LOL

egoldber
09-09-2008, 10:49 AM
I used to buy the Newman's Own Marinara.

But I started watching the sugar content of jarred sauces a few years ago. Lots of them have added sugars and HFCS. I have found that one of the lowest sugar content that tastes really good, IMO, is the organic store brand marinara sauce at my Safeway!

pinkmomagain
09-09-2008, 10:57 AM
I married italian, so I'm not "allowed" to buy jarred sauce. I was taught how to make sauce (or if you're really Italian it's "gravy") very early on in our relationship. I find making homemade sauce easy (but a little time consuming) and I just portion it out and freeze.

daisy1234
09-09-2008, 11:27 AM
me too...married Italian....rarely do we have jarred sauce since dear MIL taught me how to make yummy sauce! If I sneak a jar in it is always....Newmans own or Barilla! :) WE had a local WV company that made great sauce but since we have moved we stick with the above! :)

1964pandora
09-09-2008, 11:35 AM
My favorite was Rao's and I still love it, but it's too expensive for me. I was very excited to find a brand I liked just as much at BJ's. If you have a BJ's (it's like a Costco) it's called, "Rozanno's Marinara." It only contains Italian tomatoes, italian olive oil, fresh onions, fresh basil, fresh garlic, sea salt and spices. It comes in a two pack of 32 ounce jars. Very cheap and it made me quit missing Rao's.

Susan

Twins2000
09-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Hmmmmm, I have to get BJ's again and try that Rozanno's sauce! I haven't been there in months! Thanks for the tip!

maestramommy
09-09-2008, 03:32 PM
I married italian, so I'm not "allowed" to buy jarred sauce. I was taught how to make sauce (or if you're really Italian it's "gravy") very early on in our relationship. I find making homemade sauce easy (but a little time consuming) and I just portion it out and freeze.

Oooh, authentic Italian! Do you mind sharing the recipe??:)

skatkerz
09-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Don't like sweet sauce...recently tried Barilla w/ red wine just because it was on sale. The best jarred sauce I've ever had- tasted like something you'd get in a NYC italian restaurant. Used to use Francesco Rinaldi in NY, but they don't sell it in Florida.

Corie
09-09-2008, 03:40 PM
My favorite was Rao's and I still love it, but it's too expensive for me. I was very excited to find a brand I liked just as much at BJ's. If you have a BJ's (it's like a Costco) it's called, "Rozanno's Marinara." It only contains Italian tomatoes, italian olive oil, fresh onions, fresh basil, fresh garlic, sea salt and spices. It comes in a two pack of 32 ounce jars. Very cheap and it made me quit missing Rao's.

Susan

Thanks Susan! I'll add the sauce to my BJ's list. :)

lisams
09-09-2008, 03:41 PM
I used to buy the Newman's Own Marinara.

But I started watching the sugar content of jarred sauces a few years ago. Lots of them have added sugars and HFCS. I have found that one of the lowest sugar content that tastes really good, IMO, is the organic store brand marinara sauce at my Safeway!

We usually get Amy's organic Family Marinara. It has no sugar or HFCS and tastes really good (although I did notice it doesn't have that sweet taste to it - something I never noticed until we switched). It is kind of pricey though, about $6/jar.

vludmilla
09-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Wow, I can hardly believe that only one other person mentioned my favorite...Victoria's marinara. I LOVE this sauce and won't buy anything else anymore. They use only fresh Italian tomatoes, fresh garlic, fresh basil, and fresh onion, no dried spices at all. No paste, no sugar, no corn syrup. It is the absolute best sauce I've ever had out of a jar. The downside is that it's expensive but Costco just started carrying it for a good price.

tylersmama
09-09-2008, 04:18 PM
I usually buy Ragu flavored with Meat. :o Sad, I know, but it was the only one H would eat, since it's not chunky (even then, he would complain sometimes that I gave him the "bottom" of the jar that had some very small chunkies :rolleyes:).

I also usually have at least a couple of batches of Giada de Laurentis's Simple Tomato Sauce (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/simple-tomato-sauce-recipe3/index.html) in the freezer. It's super easy to make, freezes great, isn't chunky, and is really yummy. I make a double or triple batch and freeze it flat in ziploc bags in 2 cup portions. Easy to pull out and make a quick vodka sauce or use for manicotti or other baked pastas!

KBecks
09-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I tend to check the labels to see which ones have the least sugar, just because it's one item where I got in the habit of checking labels like that.

I can't imagine them tasting that much different, and I figure I can put in add-ins for excitement if need be.

saschalicks
09-09-2008, 05:57 PM
I like Classico as a brand. The four cheese, mushroom and olive, tomato basil area all ones that come to mind.

I also love the Trader Joe's Organic Marinara.

Tondi G
09-09-2008, 06:05 PM
We use Trader Joes Organic Marinara. No sugar in it and it tastes pretty good. I used to like Classico too but we shop TJ's more so I buy my sauce there!

psophia17
09-09-2008, 06:12 PM
President's Choice Basil something-or-other. I used to be the Prego Traditional girl, but not anymore.

President's Choice is a Cdn brand, but it's also in the US in various places, definitely Price Chopper in the NE, but also at Fred Meyer in the PNW. If you happen to see it, give it a shot :)

caleymama
09-09-2008, 06:22 PM
If you have a BJ's (it's like a Costco) it's called, "Rozanno's Marinara." It only contains Italian tomatoes, italian olive oil, fresh onions, fresh basil, fresh garlic, sea salt and spices. It comes in a two pack of 32 ounce jars.

I was going to recommend this kind as well, since you are in the northeast. We tried it recently and were very impressed. I just bought some more the other day. :)

Twoboos
09-09-2008, 06:43 PM
I am going to try that Rozanno the next time I hit BJs! I like that brand of EVOO.

I also really like Newman's red wine marinara, but I can't seem to find it now. It has pretty low sugar (well, lower than the other flavors), not sure about HFCS, did not check that.

scrooks
09-09-2008, 08:11 PM
I think someone else mentioned Mid's previously...I think it's regional as well. I live in Ohio and they make it locally around here. The meat sauce is amazing...and that's coming from my husband who strongly preferes homemade.

calv
09-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Ran to BJ to get the Rozanno and spent way too much! A tad bummed that the jars are somewhat small, at least compared to the tubs of preggo sause we normally get. Thanks for the tip on the brand. Hope we like it. :)

deborah_r
09-10-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm so embarrassed. I have tried almost every jarred sauce and I only like Ragu original. I know it isn't "good", like it doesn't taste like restaurant sauce, but it's the only one that doesn't taste strange to me in some way. I usually doctor it up with a can of tomatoes and some garlic, onions, etc.

hellbennt
09-10-2008, 08:48 PM
I tend to check the labels to see which ones have the least sugar, just because it's one item where I got in the habit of checking labels like that.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/CasaHellbennt/yeahthat.gif

I go for the least expensive on I can find w/ low sugar- under 4 grams for sure- I tend to go for under 3 for the most part