PDA

View Full Version : 3 mo teething, reaction to vaccines or something else?

Melbel
09-08-2008, 09:49 PM
DD2, our 3 mo, has been real fussy since Friday, when she received her 2 month old vaccines (delayed). She has a history of reflux and colic and generally seems to have an immature GI system. I have been battling thrush since discharge from the hospital, but thus far, DD2 has actually been fine so far as we can tell. She will only feed for 3-4 minutes BF, before she pulls off shrieking and refuses to nurse again until the next feeding (about every 2 hours in the daytime). She is also very kicky and gassy. I manage to get a better feeding if she is very sleepy at night. These are symptoms that are consistent with her reflux before Prevacid, but more pronounced (fed only for about 6 minutes at a time before Prevacid). She does not have a fever but is a little warm (99.6). She has had wet diapers and a BM today.

I have also noticed that she has started drooling and putting things in her mouth since Friday. Her bottom gums look a little whitish/yellow, but I cannot see any specific teeth buds. I broke down and gave her some Tylenol this afternoon, and she did feed better the next go around. If she is not better by the A.M., I plan to call the pediatrician. In the meantime, I thought I would get some advice and thoughts from the experienced mamas here. DS and DD1 were early teethers (4 mos), but 3 mos seems awfully young to be teething. Could this be a reaction to the vaccines? I just hate not knowing what to do to help my LO. TIA.

mamicka
09-08-2008, 10:22 PM
At that age, I'd just call the ped. Its most likely a mild reaction to the shots, but best to check with them.

Sorry, no advice I guess. But I sympathize, when they're so little & in obvious discomfort, its really tough on you as well.

Hope she feels better soon!

tnrnchick74
09-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Parker was really fussy after his shots. He also ran a low grade fever. He is definitely teething at 3 months, and intermittantly runs a low grade fever because of the teething. His colic/reflux symptoms returned recently and we had to change formula (back to Nutramagen as we were trying to change over to Gentlease) and increase his Zantac dose.

I would give a call to the ped, but its probably a mixture of all 3 issues!

infocrazy
09-08-2008, 10:36 PM
DS2 had his bottom 2 teeth actually pop through at 3 1/2 months...DS1 was at 4 months. Could be anything really. I'd probably call the doc for reassurance but it could totally be teeth.

reissgirl
09-08-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm sorry you're having such a rough day. My DS, who is now five months, got his first tooth when he was just shy of four months. He started teething around three months so it could possibly be teething. It's so hard to know what's wrong when they're that little and that can be really frustrating. Hopefully the Tylenol is making her feel better (and you).