PDA

View Full Version : High Chair or Booster Seat?

reissgirl
09-08-2008, 10:25 PM
What are the pros and cons of high chairs and booster seats? Is one better than the other?

Why do I need a high chair? My DS is about to start eating table foods so I'm trying to figure out where he should sit. I'm considering the Tripp Trapp so that it will match our wood furniture. But if it's supposed to pull up to the table, why can't I just use a booster seat in a regular chair?

belovedgandp
09-09-2008, 12:42 AM
I've managed two kids without ever owning a high chair. I had six perfectly good chairs for my kitchen table and not that much extra floor space in my kitchen, so I've only had a booster seat. Both boys have been in a booster seat with a tray at the beginning. They slowly moved closer to the table with the tray and eventually we ditched the tray.

I have a larger scale booster as our primary at our house. It's a First Years from 5 years ago that's doing great. I'd go for minimal or no padding; it just traps all the junk. I like the larger scale because it gives it a higher back for when they're in the head banging stage (hitting the plastic chair instead of the hard chair back).

We bought a super compact Fisher Price one to take for large family dinners and as a back up at our house for the extra kids that appear. It has actually lived out on our deck on a patio chair all summer. The more meals we eat outside the less I have to clean my kitchen floor.

clb
09-09-2008, 11:06 AM
I have a Chicco highchair and a Fisher Price booster. My DS is 11mo. The only advantage I see to the highchair is that it reclines. When my DS outgrew the bouncy seat, he would sit with us in the highchair while we ate dinner. We just started to use the booster seat now.

Can your DC sit up straight?

Highchair
Pro: reclines
Con: cleaning it, large footprint

Booster:
Pro: small, portable, easy to clean
Con: no recline

reissgirl
09-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks! He can sit up by himself so the booster seat should work. We frequently have guests for meals so I guess it would just eliminate one of our "good" chairs so we'd have to use a folding chair for an adult.

Melaine
09-09-2008, 02:06 PM
I reviewed some on my blog: This is all theoretical since we actually have the $10 boosters from walmart. Here's a link if you're interested. I LOVE the tripp trapp just can't afford two at this point. I think the Keekaroo looks like a great option and it has a tray so the benefits of high chair, plus adjustable and can be pulled up to the table. HTHs
http://www.keekaroo.com/
Here's my blog:
http://mamaslittlemonkeys.blogspot.com/2008/04/searching-for-high-chair-i-could-go-on.html

WatchingThemGrow
09-09-2008, 03:38 PM
We have dinner guest often, esp. since it is easier to feed our kids at home than out. You're smart to consider that into the purchasing decision. We actually have the stand alone high chair that can be wheeled around the house (I LOOOOVE doing this) and the Kinderzeat (older Tripp Trapps) ( I picked up on CL - okay, 3 of them. I'm hoarding them I suppose. When we have several families over, is nice for the adults to have regular chairs, the toddlers have KZs, the babies in high chairs, and the preschoolers at the plastic picnic table. It just makes everyone feel comfortable with a secure place to put their kids to eat.

One thing I remember reading in the Ellyn Satter book is that children eat and manage their bodies better at the table when they are at the right level and supported appropriately. DD's feet rest on the KZ adjustable footrests, and her elbows are at the right height. She can see what is on the table and the food on her plate well. When she ate on a booster at a nice restaurant this weekend, she banged her feet on the seat below because there was no good place for her to rest them. She was wobbly, couldn't reach things easily. I appreciated the KZ more at the next meal. Same for DS and his PP high chair. When he's not well supported - like in a restaurant high chair, we wobbles all around, slides down, and is hard to feed. He's chill and able to self-feed at home with a good tray.