PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a toddler/child in glasses?

let73
09-08-2008, 11:38 PM
DD who is 2 1/2 yo was recently diagnosed as having Accommodative Esotropia or as the doctor explained it is that she is "far sighted." Does any one have a toddler or small child in glasses?

She has adapted really well to them and does not take them off until bath and bed time. I think she keeps them on because she can actually see!

I guess I'm having more of a difficult time adjusting... I know this is shallow, but I don't want my little girl to have to wear glasses... I guess I'm being overly sensitive. She is the only kid at the in her preschool/daycare class that wears them.

We stopped for lunch in a small town on the way to my brother's wedding. I swear that these "tween" girls made a comment about the glasses, but not 100% sure. Again, maybe I was just imagining it because I am overly sensitive... I have had other people comment how cute she looks in them with her curly hair!!

For those that have older kids, do they get teased? Maybe things are better now for kids with glasses these days?

Again, I don't want to sound shallow. I know that there are other moms dealing with much more complex medical issues for their LO's.... It's just how I'm feeling at this time...

Thanks,
Lisa

nov04
09-08-2008, 11:53 PM
dd1 got her just after 2. We occasionally have younger kids grab at them but beyond that its not really an issue. dh has them, so I expected at least one of our kids to have them too.

I've actually had a few adults come up to me and tell me it reminds them of being young seeing her with glasses because its not that common.

I already asked, our opthamologist has done contacts for 9 yo's. So if she does want that option and she's able to care for a medical appliance, then we can cross that bridge then.

Honestly, I don't think its going to be an issue, glasses these days are so darn cute. She wears really cool flexons. Don't worry about needing time to adjust.

ohiomom
09-09-2008, 12:27 AM
DD1 just turned 5 and got glasses this summer for very bad astigmatism. She was the 1st in her preK class to get glasses and mostly she's dealt with just curiousity from her classmates. One little boy with behavior issues took a swipe at them, but for some reason DD has always considered him a friend. (I would have stayed FAR away for the grief he can cause and I'm glad he's not in her room this fall!) She's had 2 other incidents that I know about, but she never seemed upset about it. Last week DD took them off before leaving for preK while horsing around and we forgot them. Immediately a classmate asked where her glasses were and could she see! I hadn't even noticed, because I'm still used to seeing her without them.

Like you we really didn't want her to need glasses. I never needed any (well, not yet!), but DH HATED his and was an early adopter of lasik. He was VERY bummed because he understands the hassle with sports/skiing/swimming, etc. As a result, I let HIM pick her frames (DD didn't care at all) and he picked a fairly funky pair with very visible detail on the side pieces and a rectangular shape instead of the oval shape so commonly found on little kid glasses. Their uniqueness prompts lots of compliments from adults.

She has NEVER complained. Only pulls off occasionally if top of her nose itches.

My feelings, I have come to terms with them and like the way she looks with the frames, but frankly, I think she is more lovely without them and if you and I are both "shallow" for feeling that way... oh well!!! I think I'll always want DD to look as natural as possible. I'm sure DH will pony up the cash for lasik (or whatever the procedure is by then) just as soon as the doc gives the all clear!

rlu
09-09-2008, 01:05 AM
DS got his glasses at 3.5. He adjusted quickly, probably because up to 6 months previous to that I wore glasses and my folks and sister wear glasses (he sees them 3-4 times a week).

He is the only kid at his school with glasses (about 30 kids spread over the days) and there was one kid who yanked them off DS twice. That kid was pulled from school, DS was not his only target.

I wore an eye patch in kindergarten and glasses for over 30 years. Did I get teased, yes - did I want to see, yes. I did get contacts when I got married and lasik last year. You can't get lasik in CA until age 21 (either law or medical reality not sure) so I know contacts will be considered when we think he's capable of caring for them.

We let DS pick out both frames (flexion for every day and a $99 set as backup).

FWIW, I had a friend with a full eye contact and she started wearing that really early, maybe 5 or 7 or so.

mytwosons
09-09-2008, 07:38 AM
DS1 was the first of his group to get glasses, and they are really strong. Strong enough the Dr. warned me his eyes would look bigger. I think he is just freakin adorable in them! That said, the Dr. also told me that by age 7, a ton of kids have glasses, so it's not a big deal at all. I was afraid of teasing, but from what his teacher explained to me, kids don't tease that young; it was more a matter of fact "oh, you have glasses".

Gena
09-09-2008, 09:04 AM
DS is 4 and started wearing glasses when he was 2.5. He is very farsighted, has a bad astigmatism, and may have ocular albinism (we have not been able to complete testing for this).

It does not bother me one bit that my son wears glasses. There are so many worse things than having to wear glasses. Compared to his Autism, the glasses are such a little thing. Plus, the pediatric ophthamologist explained to us that if the eyes do not send a clear picture the brain, the visual processing center might not develop properly. So every morning when DS puts on his glasses I feel good that his brain is getting the right information to develop that area.

People always comment on how cute DS looks with his glasses. He has blond hair and blue eyes, so people are always saying that he looks like the little boy in "Meet the Robinsons".

DS was the first kid in his class to get glasses. it really hasn't been a big deal to the other kids. DS has Transitions lenses due to his extreme light sensitivity, and some of the other kids think it's cool that his glasses turn dark when they go outside.

I'm sure your daughter's eye doctor discussed this with you, but some forms of farsightedness can be outgrown. The eyeball lengthens as the child grows and can improve the vision. Many kids (but not all) outgrow farsightedness by adolescence.

NewfieNat
09-09-2008, 11:08 AM
DS has worn glasases since 2.5. I was sad for the first day because it was so unexpected, but got over it quickly. His doctor believes one eye weakened because of a sty and resulting inflammation. We also had/still have to patch his strong (normal vision) eye 1-3 hours a day. His weak eye is slightly far-sighted. Like a pp mentioned, the doctor believes it will correct itself. We'll see if any progress has been made in October.

DS is not good about keeping his glasses on. I really believe this is because he barely needs them. We find them all over the house, it's frustrating!

There is another boy in his preschool who also wears glasses and to my knowledge neither has ever been teased.

Lastly, be aware that at such a young age kids can outgrow frames very quickly. For DS's first pair we went to a local optical store and paid $300 for Flexon frames. He outgrew these in 6 months! We then went to Lenscrafters and got a pair of Nike with Flexon for about $150 (new prescription as well). These still fit but are eternally crooked! No one has been able to make them straight on his face. Finally, we went to Sears and got a pair of Stride rite frames complete with lenses for $50! These have been great. Expensive does not always equal better.

crayonblue
09-09-2008, 12:46 PM
My older daughter just got glasses on Saturday. She is doing really well. Only takes them off at bedtime and bathtime.

She was so excited to go to school yesterday and show all of her friends her new glasses. When she got home, she said that everyone loved her glasses but that one friend said they were "silly".

I know how you feel...I got glasses at age 8 and was really hoping my kids wouldn't need them. I don't think you are being shallow. It's funny though, ever after two days, I have gotten used to seeing DD with glasses. I have almost forgotten what she looks like without them!

HIU8
09-09-2008, 01:45 PM
DNiece got glasses for accomodative esotropia at age 2. She has been wearing them now for 5 months. She is on her 6th prescription as they try to get it right (hers is pretty severe). She has had no problems adjusting at all and she is very protective of her face now. DD was going to get glasses for the same issue, but it turns out she doesn't need them (she seems to be growing out of it). She and DS go to the same preschool and I believe she is the only child who wears glasses and no one makes an issue over it. my sister and BIL, neither of who wear glasses, seem to have adjusted well to making sure DNiece's glasses are fixed when broken (this has happened twice so far)---you would think that DH and I would have a better handle on it since both of us have worn glasses since early childhood.

caheinz
09-09-2008, 01:53 PM
DS got glasses a month or two ago. He's in preschool, and I talked to the teachers before he got them. The consensus was that at this age, glasses are cool.

The only issue we've had is that they're starting to slip down his nose, probably due to the super-flexible (~unbreakable) frame. I'll probably try to stop at the eye doc's office to get them adjusted soon...

He also tends to look a lot older in his glasses...

let73
09-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks everyone for their kind and reassuring responses. I feel a lot better about DD and her eyeglasses.
Thanks again,
Lisa