PDA

View Full Version : Your weight now compared to high school

SnuggleBuggles
09-09-2008, 08:36 AM
I was just curious what the norm was for weight fluxuations from when you were younger and pre-kids to now. Most people I know IRL are right around the same weight (+/- 15lbs) as high school and I wondered if that was true across the board.

Beth

hillview
09-09-2008, 08:39 AM
HS I was approx 35 lbs lighter! Pre last pg I was still 20 lbs heavier then my in shape weight in hs. Maybe that is closer to the +/- 15 lbs you mentioned.
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
09-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Darn, I can't edit that poll. I should have had a choice with that 15lbs highlighted.

I gained my "Freshman 15" and have managed to widdle it down to a 10lb change. I was 117 when I graduated and am just under 130. I have been in this same spot for ages (when not pg). I think it may be my body's resting place. I don't know if it is atainable to get back down to h.s. weight. I'd be fine with 125. It's only a few pounds...but they are lbs that I just can't seem to lose.

Beth

caleymama
09-09-2008, 08:45 AM
I was just talking about this with some people over the weekend! From college on (so a good 10 years or so) I was consistently within 5 lbs of the same weight (when not pregnant or post-partum, of course). My body went back to that same weight after both pregnancies - took about 9-12 months both times without me doing anything. Gained the same amount with both pregnancies too. Then in this past year I've gained a solid 10 lbs without changing anything - the scale has just kept creeping up. This is the heaviest I've been not pregnant or post-partum ever and appears to be my new equilibrium weight. Blech. I've lately been contemplating what changes I need to make in my eating and exercise (or lack thereof!) to get in better shape and feel a little healthier. The # on the scale doesn't bother me, but the fact that my clothes don't fit as well and that I don't feel as healthy are what bug me and are motivating me to change.

ETA: Well, I rambled on and on but to answer your original question I am 15-20 lbs higher now than at the end of high school (I can't remember what I was exactly). A year ago it would have been less than 10 lbs.

o_mom
09-09-2008, 08:51 AM
I was about 20 lbs lighter in HS, but I was waaaaaay skinny then. Probably too skinny as my BMI was around 17 (just calculated that and :47:).

egoldber
09-09-2008, 09:49 AM
I was moderately overweight in high school, became VERY skinny in grad school (no money to buy food will do that to you....) and then gained a lot of weight in my late 20s and early 30s. I am now at the healthiest weight I have been in a long time. The BMI charts say I am slightly overweight for my height, but I am comfortable where I am right now.

bubbaray
09-09-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm about 25lbs heavier, but I was super skinny and a jock. Thin & muscular. I still look pretty good, but man, I'm soft now.... Ugh.

bethie_73
09-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Hahahahahaha

There is NO WAY I can get back to the weight I was when I was in High School/College/Just Married.

I like to think I'm pretty healthy, although I'd like to lose some weight still. I'm 6ft and I was 130 +/- 5lbs til I was around 25. I had a SUPER high metabolism and was always super skinny. I will never be that weight again unless I do a special diet which I am unwilling to do.

ThreeofUs
09-09-2008, 10:43 AM
I was 110 in HS and 95 while a dancer in undergraduate.

Now I'm 8.5 months preggo! EEEEEKKKKK!!!!

crayonblue
09-09-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm 5'7 and in high school I weighed 115. In college I dropped down to 105. Now, I weigh 135 but am trying to get down to 130. I was always known as the skinny girl. Haven't heard that reference in about 6 years!

SammyeGail
09-09-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm 5'6 and when I graduated HS I weighted 99 lbs, I have a very small body frame, they called me bones. At age 20 I got up to 104, by 25 I was up to 115, my goal. Gained about 10 lbs, then when I was about 28 I had a massive weight gain due to a medication, we up to about 150 in a month. I would go from 140-150 for years, went up to 210 when gave birth to the twins, was down to 145 last summer. Found out one of my sons had autism, I call it autism weight, I went up to 173, but in the past month I've lost 10 lbs due to a new medication, hopefully it'll keep coming off!!

My stomach will never be the same, lol, but this weight doesn't look good on tiny wrist and ankles, kwim?

Congrads to all of you who kept your weight in a good range!!

Samantha

lmintzer
09-09-2008, 11:09 AM
I was 110 in high school (at 5'2" or close to it). 115ish in grad. school. I think I had crept up to 120 when Jack was born. When he was 9 mos., I had dropped back to 110 (which is pretty low for me) out of sheer exhaustion. Now, I'm sitting (most unhappily) around 126. I feel lethargic and yucky. For my height and bone structure, it's high. I'm trying to motivate myself to lose, but it's SOO hard. I'd like to be between 115 and 120, ideally.

Moneypenny
09-09-2008, 11:18 AM
I weigh about 10 pounds more than I did in high school, but I was seriously scrawny then (just my body type). It was a big happy day for me when I finally hit 100 pounds!

pb&j
09-09-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm pg right now, so obviously I weigh a bit more. In my normal life, I weigh about 15-20 lbs more than in high school. But in high school I was super skinny, bony, had no boobs, and weak little chicken arms. I am definitely healthier these days!

Ideal weight is about 15lbs more than high school. I was at HS+10 when DS was just under a year old - it was probably a little skinnier than I'd really like to be, but I was still BFing and had just run a marathon. I was HS +20 when I got pg this time, which is a little more than I'd like, but I can live with it. This time around, I am not planning on drastically cutting back my running mileage right around the same time I wean, that was a recipe for a few pounds I had a hard time shaking.

In college I had mono very, very badly, couldn't keep down food or water and got down to a BMI of 15!!! I was practically walking death, and would never, ever choose to be that skinny again. It took months for me to get back up to 100lbs.

I remember at my 5 yr college reunion thinking that everyone had gained about 5lbs, and looked SO MUCH BETTER!!! :)

MontrealMum
09-09-2008, 11:54 AM
When I was in highschool I was dancing, as well as having a naturally thin body type, so I was VERY skinny. I gained a few pounds in college, more in grad school, to hit a weight that is right in the middle of the range for someone my height and built (this is not including the pregnancy rollercoaster, but my "normal" weight) - that's 20 pounds more than I weighed in highschool, and it's a good thing. There is no way I could ever get back down to that, it would be very unhealthy. I can't calculate the BMI off the top on my head, but I think, like OMom that it'd be pretty low.

shilo
09-09-2008, 02:01 PM
hey, wait, no fair asking when i'm 8 months preggo! so i voted based on the 5lbs weight range i was consistent in for the last 2yrs before getting preggo this time. hope that's ok.

i hit my all time non-preggo high the summer between my junior and senior year of HS, then took off about 25lbs. my senior year. so i went that weight for my "HS" weight. gained almost all of it back in the 10 years between HS and my first pregnancy, then gained another 40 on top of that with sam. took off 60lbs between pregnancies, so the consistent weight before pregnancy this time was a lot less (30-35lbs) than HS. we'll see what happens this time, so far, so good.

lori

lizajane
09-09-2008, 02:38 PM
this was a bad year (for a LOT of reasons) and i am up 25lbs over high school. BUT my pre-baby "normal" (and post first baby, pre second baby) was 5lbs LESS than high school. so i am 30lbs over my own personal normal right now. but hope to get back to my regular weight, which is less.

ilfaith
09-09-2008, 03:32 PM
In high shcool I weighed between 110-115 (I'm 5'2 1/2"...and that 1/2 is very important to me). In college through my mid-20s I hovered around 105, but had to really work to stay that weight. Since then I've generally tried to maintain somewhere around 110-112. Actually, it doesn't take much "trying". It seems to be my "natural" weight. I gained 27 pounds wich each pregnancy and lost the baby weight within 3-4 months each time (thanks to two hungty boys sucking the life out of me). Yesterday I was 112 pounds.

Interestingly, although I was the same weight in high school, back in the 80s, I wore a size 5 or even sometimes a 7. Today I wear mostly 2s and in some stores even a 0.

Nooknookmom
09-09-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm about the same now, give or take a couple lbs here & there. I am about 5'6 (was 5'8 but a back problem caused me to hunch & shrink). Due to my back issue I can no longer work out & have lost all muscle tone. Which I hate, I miss my muscles :(

I weighed about 110-115 in HS and weigh about 100-105 now. After nursing is over I know I'll go up to 115-120.

A few years ago I was put on some med's for pain and gained 40 lbs. Which didn't help my back at all & I lost it. So all in all my weight has fluctuated from HS up and back down.

ellies mom
09-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Right now I'm about 30 pound heavier than high school. I still need to lose 10 pounds of baby weight which would put me at 20 pounds heavier. But in all honesty, I was too stinkin' skinny in high school (105), so 20 pounds heavier is actually a good thing.

jk3
09-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Typically I'm about 10 pounds up but now it's quite a bit more!

toothfairy
09-09-2008, 08:05 PM
I am 25lbs heavier than in high school. It was a gradual migration up, then I didn't lose all the baby weight (lacked like, 5lbs) and then gained when breastfeeding was dwindling down. I just started Jenny Craig today to lose 20lbs. It may take a long time but I need this for my health (and a closet full of clothes that don't fit!)

Amy

elephantmeg
09-09-2008, 08:59 PM
I am 10 lbs heavier and also 10 lbs over pre preg. I was down to my HS weight before I got pregnant with DS but lost 35 lbs before I got pregnant. My top weight was the same before I lost weight and with both pregnancies-yikes! Now to get the last 10 off (ahem, now to stay away from the brownies!)

SnuggleBuggles
09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
In high shcool I weighed between 110-115 (I'm 5'2 1/2"...and that 1/2 is very important to me).

Me too. :) One time I got a fluke reading of 5'3" but most of the time I come in at 5'2". Because of that one fluke I feel like I can justify rounding up that 1/2" some days. :) I'm taking more ownership of my shortness lately, however. I never really feel short even though dh is 6' and my 6yo is going to pass me in a few short years.
Beth

C99
09-09-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm 5'9". In high school, I didn't have hips or boobs and was painfully skinny. I hated being skinny! Now I have hips, boobs and stomach pooch from 3 pregnancies. I've gained about 15-30 lbs. since high school and I think it's a good thing.

gatorsmom
09-09-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm short at 5'3, 3/4" (and yes, that last fraction of an inch is important to me). I weighed 118 in high school. I gained about 10lbs in college. After college, I figured out how to lose weight (count calories and exercise like afiend) and I really made that work for me. I was at 110-114 and looking GOOD when I met DH. I remember those days fondly...

It's been 9 months since i had the twins and it will take those last 3 months to get down to where I want to be- 125lb (I'm at 142lbs now). I just don't think at my ripe old age of 36, that getting back down to 115 would look good on me anymore. I think as women get older, that they look better, healthier and younger if they are a little more curvy, not so stick thin. jmho

Happy 2B mommy
09-09-2008, 11:48 PM
I was 'the fat girl' in HS, about 15-20lbs overweight. I'm 25 lbs heavier now than I was in HS. I just went to my 20th HS reunion, (was talked into it by friends) and one of the few things I enjoyed about it was that a lot of the people who had picked on me about my weight looked like they had gained 50 pounds or more. I'm definitely not thin, but I looked a LOT better than a lot of folks.

mommyp
09-10-2008, 12:14 AM
I was just under 120 lb in high school, 125 in college and grad school and hovering just over 130 since then. (I'm 5'5 1/2"). I was 132 when I got pg and am still working on getting back there. I'm at about 140 now, these last 10 lbs are tougher...I'm not going to worry about it too much though, until I stop BFing, after that I'll have to remember not to eat all the time! :D