PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain to me how signing up for gymnastics works?

JTsMom
09-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Jason had an OT eval yesterday, and one of the recs the OT made was to sign him up for gymnastics classes. I've been googling, and it seems that the different centers all have a "fall session" that has already started. Does this mean I need to wait until the next session, or can he start mid-way through? And if he can start now, is it a good idea? I'm worried he'd feel like everyone else knew what was going on, and he didn't. Plus, he's never taken any type of class before (except mommy and me type stuff- these classes don't have parent participation), so I'm a little nervous about how he'll react to that.

bubbaray
09-10-2008, 09:53 AM
It depends on the place. I would call and ask, maybe explain the situation (why you need to register late).

GL!

Pennylane
09-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Most places will let you join anytime during the semester as long as the class is not full. If it is at a beginners level, then he won't have any problem catching up to what they are doing.

Ann

baileygirl
09-10-2008, 10:02 AM
I think it will depend if the class is full or not. We just started gymnastics midway thru a session last week.

ETA: they prorated the class for us.

LBW
09-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Do you have a Little Gym nearby? They have a variety of fun gymnastics and sports classes, all geared towards little kids. My oldest took a sports skills class there when he was 3 - it was about half gymnastics/tumbling and half sports. Very fun, low key, no pressure environment. There were definite start dates for fall, etc, but you could begin any time and they'd prorate the fee.

Our local gymnastics place is much more hard core - mostly for kids who want to be gymnasts. The kids and instructors seem to take it very seriously - much more seriously than I wanted! So, check out the different programs so that you find one that fits your needs. I'm sure most places will prorate the fees for you and let you start anytime as long as they have openings.

juliasmom05
09-10-2008, 10:08 AM
As long as there is a spot, they will most likely let you register. Do they have parent participation classes for younger children at the gym? Our gym has a parent participation class for 2-3 yr olds that isn't all that structured. DD's still in that class because I don't think she's ready for the older class. If they have a younger class, explain your situation and they will most likely let him enroll in that class.

elephantmeg
09-10-2008, 11:48 AM
our wellness center has something like that so look into gyms too.

JTsMom
09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys, all of your info helps a lot. I'm going to make a few phone calls today and see what I can find out. Online, I've found one local place that says it's a family fitness center- they offer a variety of classes, so I don't think it will be a really serious enviornment. I'm also going to check out Little Gym, so thanks for that rec!

I definitely want something easygoing. He basically just needs something that involves a lot of crashing, jumping, rolling, etc.

BeachBum
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
I think My Gym is a direct competitor to Little Gym so you may want to check that too.

Melanie
09-11-2008, 12:55 AM
I actually missed signing Dd up "on time," by a week but they just prorated it for us.