PDA

View Full Version : C-Section moms: What did you pack?

ThreeofUs
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
My c-section is scheduled for 9/24 and I'm thinking of packing the hospital bag, just in case.

I was so completely out of it - and in ICU - after DS#1's birth that I have no idea what to pack this time.

What did you bring to a scheduled C? Do you have to worry about as much bleeding as a vaginal birth?

Please help!

elephantmeg
09-10-2008, 11:52 AM
I bled like a really heavy period-and gushed the first day. I took stretchy yoga type pants, nursing tanks (target), and a robe. I also had a matching mommy/baby pj set from ON that I loved (top and pants for mom and a gown/hat for dd. I also had good shampoo, basic toiletries etc. I love my pics from DD-hated them with DS-failed induction that ended in a c-section and I hung out in the gown the whole time. I kind of wished I had pj shorts instead of pants-I was hot from all the hormone changes.

annasmom
09-10-2008, 11:53 AM
What did you bring to a scheduled C? Do you have to worry about as much bleeding as a vaginal birth?

Well, I cannot compare, because I have only had c-sections, but yes, there is significant vaginal bleeding. I don't really recall specifically with #2 & 3, but I do remember that I bled for about 8 weeks with my dd.

I will think about it, but really, I think you just need to pack what you would normally - your own toiletries, pillow, nice comfy robe & slippers, some good reading materials, some nice lotions, etc.

KpbS
09-10-2008, 12:25 PM
I had an emergency c and didn't bring anything I had packed. I wish I had brought a nicer shirt/top for pictures and some hydrocortisone cream for when they removed the surgical tape from my stomach. It burned like crazy in the middle of the night. Also easy to slip on slippers/house shoes for all of that post c-section shuffling around.

Good luck and hope the whole process goes smoothly :)

egoldber
09-10-2008, 12:29 PM
I packed....

breastfeeding books
breastfeeding pillow
LLL contact numbers
yoga pants and shorts and roomy T-shirts (I even slept in them. As soon as the catheter came out I changed into my own clothes and never wore the hospital gown again)
shoes that double as slippers (I wore Birks)
definitely your own toiletries (my hospital provided none)

I am a heavy bleeder, and I used all the hospital supplies. I just made sure my yoga pants were black and/or navy. ;)

Melaine
09-10-2008, 12:38 PM
I was in the hospital for 5 days with premature labor then had an emergency c-section. The only things I particularly needed/wanted was lip balm! My dad brought me Burts Bees and I really appreciated it. I barely used anything that I brought....the hospital pretty much supplied it all. Oh, and I would bring tums if you have had any heartburn, because the hospital wouldn't give me any for whatever reason....

hillview
09-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Lip balm is great idea
Nursing tops
Yoga style pants
Hair bursh
Pen and notebook -- I tracked feedings and diapers

I bled for about 8 weeks. Can't compare to vaginal as both boys were c-sections.
HTH
/hillary

ha98ed14
09-10-2008, 12:44 PM
IAlso easy to slip on slippers/house shoes for all of that post c-section shuffling around.

Good luck and hope the whole process goes smoothly :)

Yes. This. Whatever you want for your feet. I didn't bring anything and should have. I also used the hospital's pads and pp panties and I hung out in the gown b/c I didn't want to have to deal with pants/ shorts, but it didn't bother me.

Just get up and walk around as soon as you can post delivery. That is the trick, I think, to a faster recovery. P&PT for a safe delivery and a fast and easy recovery!

ellies mom
09-10-2008, 12:56 PM
I also brought a book, magazines and a small knitting project.

elephantmeg
09-10-2008, 12:59 PM
I was in the hospital for 5 days with premature labor then had an emergency c-section. The only things I particularly needed/wanted was lip balm! My dad brought me Burts Bees and I really appreciated it. I barely used anything that I brought....the hospital pretty much supplied it all. Oh, and I would bring tums if you have had any heartburn, because the hospital wouldn't give me any for whatever reason....

you're not supposed to bring meds of your own to the hospital-any meds are supposed to be ordered by your MD-so if you are having a scheduled c-section then ask you MD to add it to your orders!

tnrnchick74
09-10-2008, 01:09 PM
I brought nursing tanks, yoga pants, and a yoga outfit with jacket for going home.

Granny panties and my own pads! I bled horribly...

NICE toiletries - its wonderful when you can take a shower and FEEL clean and smell good.

I brought a book, but didn't read. I had my boppy pillow, my personal pillows, a robe, and LARGE slippers

You will retain a LOT of fluid after surgery, so expect a TON of swelling. "Normal" slippers would not have fit me.

And I truly believe the biggest key is to get up and moving as soon as possible. Don't be afraid to take pain meds, because then you will be hurting too badly to walk. WALK WALK WALK WALK!!! Get those guts moving, and the fluids moving!

Congrats and good luck!

kate909
09-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I had a nice robe but never put it on until three days post-surgery - at which time I discovered it made getting in and out of bed SO much easier. Even if the bed was all the way down, I found it really difficult to get up and down. My robe was a nice slippery satin and made sliding in and out of bed easy. My DS was in the NICU, so I was up and walking down there every 3 hours, which I think helped my recover tremendously.
Also agree with PP about bringing your own really nice toiletries, it really makes a difference to be clean and smelling nice!

saschalicks
09-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I don't think I took too many different things then I did when I thought I was having a vaginal birth the first time. I will say that support panties (you know granny panties), have been recommended to me this time around and I think I'll be purchasing some.

Here's what I took:
-robe
-slippers
-going home outfit
-several outfits for baby
-baby book
-camera
-ipod w/external speakers
-hairbrush, shampoo, conditioner, face wash, toothbrush, toothpaste, face powder, lip balm, several hair rubber bands
-pillow

bubbaray
09-10-2008, 02:48 PM
I took my own pads -- bled for 4wPP with DD#1 (emergency c/s) and 7.5w with DD#2 (scheduled c/s). I gushed the first couple of days. I highly recommend not taking "good" non-washable shoes like Birks, but rather something like a flip flop slide (mine are the Adidas Adidassage ones) that you can wear with socks, but can be washed if necessary. Sorry, TMI.

I took yoga pants and lots of tshirts, socks, granny panties (cotton, 1 size larger than necessary -- NOT bikinis or hipsters, you don't want the band near the incision).

I retained a ton of fluid with DD#1 but not with DD#2.

DH brought me kiwi once I was allowed solids, it helps with constipation. HIGHLY recommend that.

deannanb
09-10-2008, 03:09 PM
pack a hair dryer
made my mom bring it to the hospital

ZeeBaby
09-10-2008, 07:03 PM
I delivered on Thursday and I was in the hospital until Sunday. The first two days, I just wore the hospital gown. With the constant changing and bleeding, I did not want to ruin my own good clothes. Pants would not have worked for me for the first two days. I could barely move and the nurses had to do all the work. I did get up and walk up and down the hall on Friday, but I didn't shower until Saturday. I did sponge bathes and would not have wanted to wear my own clothes. I would definitely recommend taking a bag, but I think gowns are easier then pants. Make sure you have tops/gowns that are easy to breastfeed. Slippers are a definite. Books not so much since you are tired and need to sleep. TV was fine for me. Probably the most important thing to me was having DH stay with me the entire time and help with the baby.

ThreeofUs
09-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the valuable information!

I went to a B&M store tonight and got:
-crocs flip-flops in case I need something washable (thanks, Melissa!)
-cushy slide-in slippers with lots of fluid-retention room
-a couple of pairs of black yoga pants and a light jacket
-3 pairs of big, cotton underwear.

I have some nursing tops that I don't think will get messy, so I'll take those from home. A robe that I can throw out if I need to, toiletries, and pads.

Oh, I need an excel file for all of this - I'll never remember! ;)

bubbaray
09-10-2008, 07:20 PM
I forgot to add nursing pads. I leaked right away....

GOOD LUCK!!!! Very exciting!!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
09-10-2008, 08:41 PM
I see you've already gone shopping but I'll add mine anyway. I wore the hospital gown until I could get out of bed. Used the hospital mesh undies for the first couple of days. I think I might have changed into my nursing gowns on the third day or so. You could bring a book or something but frankly between the nurses in and out and getting the baby started nursing I sometimes forget even to order dinner until 7pm or so. Especially when it takes a half hour to go to the stinkin bathroom.

About the bleeding? Well, lets just say that with both children I've always made everyone leave the room the first time i've gotten out of bed. It isn't pretty but it does happen. After that it's not so bad. Much worse than a normal period but the hospital pads are made to accomodate ones needs so you should be ok. I don't think commercial pads would be as reliable for the first couple days or so.

I tried to wear pj's while in the hospital with dd and couldn't get the pants on I was retaining so much water. Plus the fact i didn't want anything rubbing on my staples!! I gave up on that with ds and just stuck to nightgowns.

I highly recommend your own toiletries. And go treat yourself to your favorites. The pp is right. It lifts you up and you don't feel so crummy when you smell good.

Bring some slippers because they will want you to walk, but also don't skeeve out too much about walking on the hospital floor, the cleaners they use are super duper germ killer cleaners and the room is completely gone over from top to bottom between Patients so depending on you housekeeping skills it might be cleaner than your floor at home :)

OH, one more thing. TAKEOUT MENUS!!! Once your back on solid food you might want something besides hospital food and why not get a menu from your fav. places?

Good luck, let us know how things go.

KBecks
09-10-2008, 09:41 PM
I think they can supply you with pads etc at the hospital but they may be the huge kind.

I might be having #3 on 9/23 depending on testing. Bring a few comfy clothes, toiletries, I like to bring the baby book, things to read, I'm going to bring my own advil, vitamins, snacks, and probably music / boom box or whatever.

mom2binsd
09-10-2008, 09:51 PM
After my first unscheduled c...and all the bleeding and discomfort with the incision...I found the best thing were those hospital issue netted underwear...I didn't even use my own granny panties until much later...the nurse gave me a ton to take home...both times I had a lot of belly pain and even loose grannies hurt (2 years later and I'm still a bit numb!)...and you can throw the net underwear out!

Yes, bring your own pads, the hospital ones seemed to go from my belly button to halfway up my back and I had to waddle they were so wide!

If you can- schedule a foot/hand massage post c..like day 3 before you go home...I had a friend who's a MT come in and it was awesome...she actually did a full massage...it was funny when the nurse came in and Mary was straddling me from behind (know that sounds bad),,, but it was the only way she could get my shoulders and back really well...

I also brought a small mirror...I wanted to be able to put contacts in, fix myself up without getting out, esp. the first day when I still had the catheter (yes totally vain but hey we're allowed)..

Best wishes for an uneventful c...oh and try to go poop beforehand..sorry if TMI but you don't want to have to go for at least 24 hours after.

KrisM
09-10-2008, 11:04 PM
I don't think I packed any differently than when I expected a vaginal birth.

This last time, I brought my laptop, as there was free wifi at the hospital.

I am a short-stay person and was only in a day or two each time, but still wanted a change of clothes.

kransden
09-10-2008, 11:05 PM
I bled horribly -yeech! Remember to bring comy pants (like yoga) or a dress to wear home from the hospital. You don't want anything to bother your incision.

hez
09-10-2008, 11:33 PM
I wished I had brought lotion. My elbows got really roughed up by the sheets on the bed. I used my elbows quite a bit to position myself to get in & out of bed, and I didn't realize how sore they were getting 'til it was too late to do anything about it.

Otherwise, I think folks have covered what I took. I will say that I got much less reading done than I thought I would-- probably because DH stayed with me (or a family member was with me while he was home grabbing a shower) the whole time.

kellij
09-10-2008, 11:43 PM
I think everything has been covered. The only extra stuff I brought were dvds to watch in the room and magazines. I also bought my favorite shower gel as a treat to me. Finally, with c/s number two I knew it was a little difficult to get things moving, if you will. I had someone bring me some prune juice (it actually wasn't that bad) and a high fiber bar or muffin or something like that. I got up early the next morning after having the c/s the night before and went to the bathroom on my own (my iv ripped out during the night -most painful thing about it all!). Anyway, I started walking really early and hadn't been in bed in labor prior to the c/s and the second one was so much easier and recovery was so much quicker. It wasn't difficult at all.

Good luck and congrats!!

ThreeofUs
09-11-2008, 02:06 AM
Anyway, I started walking really early and hadn't been in bed in labor prior to the c/s and the second one was so much easier and recovery was so much quicker. It wasn't difficult at all.

I can only hope! And I totally plan to bring (or have DH bring) prune juice. I want out of that hospital SO fast.