PDA

View Full Version : Babies to playgroups?

srhs
09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
I joined a Moms group, and they have lots of optional playdates/field trips. Obviously, my DS doesn't get a lot out of playgrounds or museums.
In your groups, do moms with babies (and no older kids) attend these things for mommy-get-out-of-the-house time or not? Honestly!
TIA

annasmom
09-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Yes, absolutely.

I WISH I had when my dd was a baby. Goodness knows I needed the companionship. I think it is a great way to meet friends, and you might be surprised how soon your dc will get something out of it.

kristenk
09-10-2008, 12:09 PM
I joined MC when DD was, I think, 4 months old! Joining was definitely for me, not her. A baby playgroup started when she was about 7 months old and we attended that regularly, but it was really more about me than her. I think she slept through most activities for our first 6 months of membership!

SnuggleBuggles
09-10-2008, 12:13 PM
I didn't join an official group like that. I, instead, took ds to classes or story hour. Playgroup started when the babies were a bit older nad they were just spin offs from the class with moms that seemed to click.

I have considered joining a group like you described, one with mommy type outtings. I think it would be fun! Go for it! I remember at postnatal exercise the best part was going out for lunch with the other moms afterwards. It's nice to have something on the calendar to look forward to and that baby can start to build up a baby social network. :)

My best friends are from that 1st playgroup.

Beth

egoldber
09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Everyone I know freely says that playgroup is for mom, not the baby. :)

belovedgandp
09-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Yes, get out and have fun. I joined MOMS Club when my oldest was 9 months old. I took him to all sorts of things. It was mostly about me getting out of the house to be around other adults. The moms with older kids were a great resource. It really doesn't change as they get older. When he was 3 I'd take him to a craft activity and he'd spend 2 minutes doing the craft and 2 hours playing in the backyard.

lorinick
09-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I started with play groups when ds was 4mts. old. I needed to get out he's now 13mts. old and I'm involved with 3 groups now. One does crafts he doesn't do them but I do. It's fun. I have a really good friend I meet at one of the groups. So with that said it has been worth it. To have a friend with kids of the same age and interests is great. It's a great way to meet people even if just to talk for a half hour or so. Go and have a good time.

sidmand
09-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I joined a Moms group, and they have lots of optional playdates/field trips. Obviously, my DS doesn't get a lot out of playgrounds or museums.
In your groups, do moms with babies (and no older kids) attend these things for mommy-get-out-of-the-house time or not? Honestly!
TIA

Yes, but also, as the former president of my MOMS Club(!), feel free to host an "Infant Playdate" or something like that. When DS was little I would look at all the activities and think he was way too little for most and it never even occured to me to host my own! Now I see that most people host something that works for their kids. And most moms of new babies don't even think of hosting (I never did) but there are plenty of people in your boat who would probably love to attend something like that.

I know your DS is about five months old, right? So you could offer to host an infant playgroup for non-walker/non-crawlers next month (if it's feasible for you).

FWIW I did take DS apple picking when he was 3 months old, but I did feel a bit uncomfortable. I heard some of the other moms talking about people going just for themselves (duh!). I think most people don't think that way though. We have playgroups you can request as well. A playgroup is definitely for the mom at first, but eventually for the DC too! But that's why I joined Gymboree with DS and why I initially joined the MOMS Club too.

WatchingThemGrow
09-10-2008, 03:16 PM
It's funny because I started meeting with some other moms when our babies were little, and now many of us are on #2, trying to juggle what is good for the running, screaming toddlers, while trying to nurse and let the crawlers crawl w/o getting trampled by the runners. And...we're all starved for adult conversation while the running and trampling is going on.

We're currently at a crossroads as far as where to meet to balance the needs of the group, and we're thinking of doing some indoor, some outdoor, some destinations, some walking events, just to mix it up and make sure everyone can participate. The hardest thing, though is meeting times. Naps (one vs two) and lunch (home or away) seem to complicate things in making one set schedule that works for all. Even which day of the week to routinely have it is a challenge because of work and class schedules. It is funny how the needs of a playgroup evolve.

I think the thing that helps us is that people are open to trying out different places with different aged kids. Some of the moms with only younger babies were getting together on their own b/c of the "we don't want to pay for a museum" piece you're talking about. In the next couple months, though, their DC will be walking and then they'll be all over the park scene.

Are there other moms with babies the same age (roughly) as yours you could meet up with in the meantime? I love going to hear that someone else is going through the same thing.

Octobermommy
09-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I say you should definitely go to make friends and socialize. If nothing more than to get out of the house.