PDA

View Full Version : should i read "protecting the gift?"

urquie
09-10-2008, 02:22 PM
okay - i know i should, but i suspect the content of the book will be very disturbing for me.

i have to turn off the tv/radio when there are stories about suffering to babies, children, animals, adults - anything. i am still disturbed by books i read 15 years ago (books i liked - just a few bad parts). for example, "the kite runner," while well written, was not a good book for me to read - i won't be seeing the movie.

maybe my question should be - how disturbing is "protecting the gift?"

maestramommy
09-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Before I read the book I was afraid it would be more fearmongering. But I found the book on the whole to be reassuring. The author cites some of parents biggest fears, and goes on to state the statistics, so the reader can see how rare some types of incidents are. He also is quite affirming to parents trusting their own judgement (rather, their "gut feeling"), and gives them specific tools and conversations they can have with their children. On the whole I found it a really empowering book to read. Some of the lists of questions he gave to ask of schools were a little overwhelming, so I think as a parent we have to judge how many of those questions are necessary in any given situation. Otherwise, great book!

bubbaray
09-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Hmmm, I didn't find it disturbing, but then I've worked in law enforcement and dealt with sexual offenders in the past. So, for me, it wasn't any new "news" and I could certainly tell stories far worse than he does.

I found it empowering.

KBecks
09-10-2008, 03:53 PM
I recall one story where a woman defends herself and her child. She does so successfully, but it's a little scary. Yet.... I think you should still read it. It does give specifics of tactics that predators will use and gives scenarios, but you should still read it.

o_mom
09-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I didn't find it anywhere near the level of disturbing that The Kite Runner is. There are a few specific stories, but none of them really go into graphic detail, IIRC. Like a PP, I found it very reassuring as far as the risks of various crimes.

MommyAllison
09-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Definitely worth reading. After the first few pages, I was expecting it to be very disturbing, but it wasn't. I am also pretty sensitive to those things, esp since we don't watch the news or watch many movies, but I was fine.

s7714
09-10-2008, 07:14 PM
I tried reading it because so many people seem to rave about it. I got a fair way into it but never finished it. His writing was just was not my cup of tea I guess.

urquie
09-10-2008, 07:17 PM
you guys have convinced me - i just put it on hold at the library :)

thanks for all the replies!