PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a Post Partum Doula?

vthokiegrl3
09-10-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm expecting my first baby in December and was wondering if it would be worth having a post partum doula come in for about 2 weeks. My husband and I first looked in to having someone come in for 24hr help but now we aren't sure if we would like having someone in our house all day and night. We talked to a few friends who suggested someone to come in at night but since I will be hopefully breastfeeding I didn't know if it would actually benefit us. Please Help!

CAM7
09-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Yep I would! I would just hire them for the 2 weeks...and keep an option open maybe for them to stay even longer?

Even if you are bfing it would be nice to have someone change the baby at night and then walk/rock the baby after nursing.... getting that extra sleep can make a big difference.

KBecks
09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
I think 24 hour help is too much, especially since I think it's important to have some privacy, but having someone in maybe for a few hours here and there could be useful. PP doulas are not inexpensive, the experienced ones I have talked to charge $17-$25/hr.

I'm going to try one for a few visits a week with this baby.... I think it will be very worthwhile but I've never actually had the experience.

SnuggleBuggles
09-10-2008, 04:15 PM
As someone who plans to train to be a pp doula in the coming months I would give a biased Yes! Especially if you don't have any friends or family in the area that will be coming hour to help out for a few hours each day. I do not think you need anyone overnight. But, to be able to catch a nap is a wonderful thing during the day for you and dh. Also, just someone to keep the house running a bit helps too. I think it would be very nice. P doulas are trained in lactation support so she will be able to help make sure you are off to a good start as well. Very helpful in those early days!

Beth