PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read Stephanie Meyer?

LarsMal
09-10-2008, 04:08 PM
The Twilight Series books? I have a friend who absolutely loves them, and everyone she knows reads and raves about them. I guess they are written for a younger teenage audience, but if you like Harry Potter, you'll like these, too.

I'm thinking about giving it a shot. Anyone else read them?

elektra
09-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Yes and It's all I've been thinking about lately! I am on book 3. If you want to remember what it feels like to have mad crushes on a boy, and you liked Harry, you will like these for sure.

tarabenet
09-10-2008, 04:13 PM
They are fun reads. The last one gets a bit weird but somehow Meyer manages to make it work.

geochick
09-10-2008, 04:33 PM
I just finished the first book, Twilight, early (very early) this morning. I loved it. It's an easy read. I can't wait to read the rest. It would be a great book (or series) to take on a beach vacation! My dh would hate it...it's a total chick read.

KyMama
09-10-2008, 04:46 PM
I've read all four and there ok. I don't like the three main characters so it was hard for me to get to the end:ROTFLMAO:.

but I really didn't like the last one. I won't say why(for those who haven't read yet) but it's because I don't thank the storyline was fair to my favorite character.

but they are easy and fun reads.

Moneypenny
09-10-2008, 04:51 PM
I read them all. They were ok for a summer read. I think the writing quality is mediocre at best but the story is entertaining. I also thought the first half of the 4th book was absolutely horrid and I nearly gave up on it until my friend convinced me the second half would be better (and she was right).

I didn't get nearly as into them as I got into Harry Potter, but they were good for an end-of-summer reading binge.

MelissaTC
09-10-2008, 04:58 PM
I am on book 3 and I am loving them. They aren't the greatest novels ever written but they are a lot of fun!!!

Corie
09-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I am really liking them!! The 1st book really got me hooked.
(I didn't like the second book as much.)

I finally got books 3 & 4 yesterday from Amazon so I can get
started on those now.

billysmommy
09-10-2008, 05:20 PM
I loved the first book ~ bought it for jury duty yesterday and finished it very early this morning. Started the 2nd today and am not into it as much yet, my favorite isn't a huge part yet so hoping they're back later in this book.

I just ordered 3&4 today so hopefully they'll be here before I finish this one

Emmas Mom
09-10-2008, 05:57 PM
See signature. :D Push through book 2, it gets better. ;)

Loved the whole series, thought the ending was excellent.

ETA: they're for "younger" audiences because she wrote them without a lot of sex & gore you find in typical vampire novels. Personally I don't like that so her books appealed to me much more than other vampire series.

manda
09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
I've read all of them and enjoyed the first three. I really didn't like the fourth. It was okay, I guess, but it just didn't do anything for me. With the first three I had a hard time putting them down (my poor kids were neglected for the day it took me to read each one). The fourth I had a hard time picking up. It took me a week to read it because it just wasn't the same as the other three.

KrystalS
09-10-2008, 06:09 PM
I love these books. I've read them all and I'm actually reading Twilight again. I can't wait til the movie comes out. The 2nd book, New Moon, is hard to get through in the beginning but it gets really good about 3/4 of the way through. Breaking Dawn, the last book, isn't my fave, it has good and bad parts. It seems like it just doesn't really mesh well with the other 3 books.

LarsMal
09-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Wow, thanks! I didn't think I'd get so many responses. I had to look up the author's name, b/c all I knew them as was "the Twilight books"!!! I guess I have to read them now!

I've been getting a little bored with my regulars lately- always reaching for a Jodi Picoult, James Patterson, Nicholas Sparks, or Anita Shreve. I think this will be a good break.

Thanks!

Corie
09-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Started the 2nd today and am not into it as much yet, my favorite isn't a huge part yet so hoping they're back later in this book.

This was why I had a hard time getting through book two.

KrystalS
09-10-2008, 09:04 PM
I've been getting a little bored with my regulars lately- always reaching for a Jodi Picoult, James Patterson, Nicholas Sparks, or Anita Shreve. I think this will be a good break.

Thanks!

I read all the same authors! After reading Twilight I've had a hard time getting interested in other books. It's one of those books you just can't put down.

Cam&Clay
09-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I have read all four books and genuinely liked the series. My friend had to force me to finish the second book because it was soooo slow. (I get it. She's depressed.)

I don't think they can be compared at all to the Harry Potter series. Good reads, yes, but nothing compared to the significance of HP.

Susan
DS1 10/98
DS2 12/07

motherofone
09-11-2008, 01:10 AM
I hate these books! They are engaging and addictive (which is why I've somehow read all four) but are horrifying. The vampires and wolves aren't the scary part-the main character is. I know they were written for younger girls and are supposed to appeal to their sense of drama and teen angst-but please. The pain, my pain, his pain, their pain back to my pain-ughh! This girl's whole life and happiness revolve around a boy. Absolutely nothing else matters. When my DD is older, I don't know if I'd let her read these books. I don't want her thinking that the life choices the main character makes are ok.
I almost want to start a new thread just to trash book 4 without spoiling it for people who haven't tortured themselves with it yet.

KrystalS
09-11-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm sorry but I just had to respond to your post. I love these books and I think the main character, Bella, is great. Personally I don't like to read books about what would "really" happen. I have enough real life to deal with, when I read a book thats my escape. Most teenagers feelings are in the extreme, I know I was that way as a teenager. I think Stephenie Meyer did a great job at writing the feelings of a 17yo girl. When you have your first love as a teenager your whole life does revolve around them. Granted this is to the extreme and she eventually does go to great lengths to be with Edward (I didn't want to post too much for those that haven't read) but its a book, not real life.

Emmas Mom
09-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Yeah...it's my brand of "torture" too. Give me a nice easy read, a happy ending, some escapism...that's what fiction is to me. It's about vampires & werewolves, I don't think any of the life choices are real. But yeah, I agree with Krystal, I know when I was a teenager life did revolve around boys at times. Is this extremist...yes but it's also fiction. Book 4 to me was just as good as the rest....especially the last two pages. That was probably my favorite part. Someone described the books as follows (I take no credit for this):

Twilight: finding love
New Moon: losing love
Eclipse: choosing love
Breaking Dawn: protecting love

daniele_ut
09-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Wow, thanks! I didn't think I'd get so many responses. I had to look up the author's name, b/c all I knew them as was "the Twilight books"!!! I guess I have to read them now!

Thanks!

Your regular authors are some of my favorites too and I really enjoyed the Twilight books. I've also read "The Host" and liked it a lot too.

megs4413
09-11-2008, 12:00 PM
i posted on another forum that i needed something new to get excited about after i finished the HP series and this series got suggested to me. i was really reluctant at first because it just sounded pretty out there, but i put myself on the waiting list at the library for the first two books...i devoured those in like 3 days and bought the other 2 books. i really love the first 3 books in the series. i think the last book sucks and i really cant stand stephenie meyer on a personal level with her latest cry baby fit over the leaking of midnight sun, but i still keep rereading books 1-3 over and over and over. it's a nice escape into another world.

i checked out "the host" and gave up on it after about 100 pages...just couldn't get into it.

i can't WAIT for the twilight movie to come out!!!

megs4413
09-11-2008, 12:01 PM
This was why I had a hard time getting through book two.

book 2 was my favorite!!! i'm on team jacob, though. ;P

sdjeppa
09-12-2008, 02:16 AM
I loved the series. I want to go back and re-read them because I got to a point that I was reading so fast to find out what happened, and I want to go back and really enjoy them. I finished book 3 in an evening! They aren't great literature, but they are engaging and take you back to the feelings of first love :)

I am on team Edward ;).

colleenfs
09-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Another fan of Twilight. I am hopelessly addicted, and I am not ashamed to admit that I am in love with a fictional vampire. :love5:

I am revamping as we speak. Can't wait for the movie!

aes74
09-24-2008, 07:11 PM
As she said herself, it won't sit on the shelf next to Jane Austen, but I am not a book snob at all and thought it was great fun. Loved the first three, not a big fan of the fourth. I also liked The Host, but it was a bit slow at the beginning. To the previous poster, you gotta go past 100 pages and then I think it gets really good.

Have fun!

LarsMal
09-24-2008, 08:27 PM
I finally got around to buying the first 2 books. This pregnancy has me so wiped out right now, though, that anytime I sit down to read I pass out!! I am loving Twilight- and wish I could stay awake to read more! Instead, I keep it with me and try to sneak in a few pages while the kids are playing. Today DD woke up from nap before DS, so I sat in the rocker and just had her play with her baby dolls in her room while I read for a 1/2 hour!

Definitely loving it so far, though!

Twoboos
09-24-2008, 08:57 PM
I am waiting to get Book 2, should be arriving tomorrow! This is the perfect series for what I need right now - FLUFF and an easy read. And, I wouldn't mind having a vampire sniff my neck for a bit... <sigh>

Good to know I may have to plow through it a bit more than Twilight.

Corie
09-24-2008, 09:32 PM
book 2 was my favorite!!! i'm on team jacob, though. ;P

What?! I basically ended up skimming book 2. I just wanted
Edward.

Corie
09-24-2008, 09:36 PM
i can't WAIT for the twilight movie to come out!!!

I have no interest in seeing the movie. I pictured the
characters differently. I do not like who they chose for
Edward AT ALL.