PDA

View Full Version : OT: Vehicle scheduled maintenance Q

KrystalS
09-10-2008, 07:14 PM
I have a 2007 Ford Explorer. I'm at 30,000 and the scheduled maintenance involves changing the transmission fluid which with the oil change is going to cost almost $400!! I thought this was crazy. I've searched some online and it seems like changing the transmission fluid is not something that needs to be done til 100,000 miles, they just include it for scheduled maintenance because obviously they make a lot of money doing it. I'm sure most of you have no idea but I was hoping someone here might have a knowledgeable DH, mine has no idea.

SammyeGail
09-10-2008, 07:38 PM
We bought a 97 Explorer in 98. We didn't get the transmission fluid changed until we hit close to 100,000 miles, in late 2002. Don't know if things have changed, but the Ford dealership was the only place that could do it. We asked around some other places for a better price, but Ford arranged everything in there so only they can do it, kwim?

Sounds like you have the right idea ;)

Samantha

niccig
09-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Search google for a forum on Ford Explorers. I used one on Honda CRVs before buying and people there were very knowledgeable and posted on regular maintenance etc.

o_mom
09-10-2008, 09:02 PM
We have done our transmission changes on time with the Odyssey, but only because they are known for tranny issues and I didn't want them coming back to say that it was our fault because we didn't do it on schedule.

Is that price through the dealer? Call around to local places and chains like Firestone and Sears to see the prices. You don't have to have it done at the dealer. That cost seems kind of high.

KrystalS
09-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll search around for a Ford forum.

O_mom - Thats what I'm worried about is something happening to our car and it not being covered by warranty because we didn't do the scheduled maintenance. I'll check around for better prices for sure.

traumarn
09-11-2008, 03:34 AM
DEFINATELY shop around for better prices.
if the book says at 30000- the manual that came with it...you prob want to do it, esp if you've driven the poor thing 30k in less than 2 yrs.
however, when you DO take it in, don't let them talk you into any synthetic or semi synthetic tranny fluid.it's not like engine oil, where PURE synthetic is sometimes better for you.