PDA

View Full Version : Where to live in New Jersey

ilfaith
09-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Many of you were helpful a while back when I'd asked about where to live in the Philly suburbs.

Well now it looks like when we do relocate it will be to New Jersey. Considering that DH has been there all this week, most of last week and needs to head back there again for a couple of days next week, if we want to spend any time toether as a family in the future, it looks like we'll be moving.

DH's job has him going back and forth between his company's Manhattan and Edison, NJ (Metropark) offices. So I guess we're looking for an area that would be an easy enough commute (train or bus) to NYC, but also within reasonable driving distance to Metropark (I guess he could also take the train to Metropark).

I grew up in Old Bridge, so you would think I'd have a better idea of communities in central New Jersey...but the fact is, I got out of Old Bridge right after college, and never dreamed I'd be moving back to the area.

Excellent schools are probably our top priority. My parents are pushing for East Brunswick...which might be just a wee bit close to mom and dad...although it does offer much of what we're looking for.

Our housing budget is probably in the $700-800 thousand range.

CAM7
09-10-2008, 07:57 PM
We are hoping to relocate as well... Dh has his resume out. Whenever we get a 'nibble' about a possible position I check out the city on http://www.city-data.com/forum/

ETA: When Dh was up for a job in NYC I thought a good place to live with kids would be Long Island....

LBW
09-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Towards the shore, I've heard good things about Middletown. Towards NYC, Westfield is great, and Cranford is also pretty nice. I think all three of those towns are on train lines into NYC. Also in Union County, but maybe a little farther than you want to go are New Providence and Summit. They're also on the train line.

Some of my favorite towns also might be a bit far, but are worth checking into: Gillette, Millington, Long Hill Township, Far Hills, Peapack/Gladstone, and Basking Ridge. I much prefer this part of NE because it's less developed and has more of a country feel. Taxes are cheaper than Union County (tho still crazy) so you get more house for the same monthly cost.

Oh, I love Chatham and Madison, too, but they also might be a bit far from Edison. Good commute into the city, though.

LD92599
09-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Oh, I love Chatham and Madison, too, but they also might be a bit far from Edison. Good commute into the city, though.

Chatham and Madison wouldn't be too bad since you're close to Route 24/78 direct into the city...and then GSP south into Edison. But you're going to get alot more for your $$ in Middlesex County vs Chatham/Madison!

Laura

annasmom
09-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Middletown, Colts Neck, Holmdel in Monmouth County are beautiful. Although I hear from friends that it can be a pretty rough commute into NYC. It would be an easy commute into Edison.

Be prepared for a VERY expensive real estate market if you are considering Chatham, Madison, Summit - and further out, Basking Ridge, Far Hills. All are beautiful towns with great schools, but really, really, really expensive. Head to realtor dot com to check out what you can get for your money in those towns.

East Brunswick is nice too, good schools. Your dh would be riding the bus, driving, or heading into New Brunswick for the train ride into NYC though.

pastrygirl
09-10-2008, 10:37 PM
I would move back to Morris County in a heartbeat if I could! I loved it there. Chatham, Madison, Morristown, etc. LOVED it there and miss it terribly! Not a bad drive or train ride into the city.

tylersmama
09-11-2008, 12:04 AM
I loved Morris County, too! I lived in Morristown and worked in Boonton, and it was great. Easy access to the city, and good schools. Probably pretty $$$ though...that's why we moved to Colorado...couldn't afford a house in NJ!