PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: no insurance, having baby in BC

maestramommy
09-10-2008, 08:37 PM
I have a friend who just emailed. His wife is due to have a baby VERY SOON. He just found out that they will not be medically covered in time for the baby to be born. Apparently BC would cover them if immigration simply started the process, but immigration is just opening letters sent in early February, and they sent theirs in June.

At the moment they are contemplating home birth.

Are there any resources in Vancouver that I can point them to? They do NOT have money, so I can only imagine how freaked they are right now. TIA!

Neatfreak
09-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Have they moved to BC from another province?

kijip
09-10-2008, 08:53 PM
This sounds like a question for Petra as I believe she was in this situation (think her immigration thing got worked out in time though). If she does not see this, I would PM her.

The out of pocket costs, even totally uninsured there are much lower than in the states so they won't have a huge a bill to pay off as they would say down here in Seattle.

bubbaray
09-10-2008, 09:03 PM
AFAIK, they'll have to pay out of pocket. You might want to PM Petra, I'm not sure how often she's around here now. I know she knows about this, and resources too, b/c she was almost in this situation.

bubbaray
09-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Try this:

http://www2.vpl.vancouver.bc.ca/dbs/redbook/orgpgs/1/1275.html

psophia17
09-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Melinda - I sent you a detailed message - this situation was exactly what I was dealt with. Hopefully what I learned can help your friends!

maestramommy
09-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks ladies!