PDA

View Full Version : How long have you had your grill?

anothermom
09-10-2008, 10:45 PM
We've had our grill going on 8 years now, and DH has been bugging me to get a new one. It's a decent mid-level Weber gas grill, but as I look at it, I'm starting to think maybe he's right.

I feel like it's too soon...and maybe we've been a little hard on it? How old is your grill?

SnuggleBuggles
09-10-2008, 10:51 PM
6yo. It's a Weber charcoal grill and I imagine it can keep going a lot longer!

Beth

bubbaray
09-10-2008, 10:54 PM
We've had this one 4 years now (Vermont Castings). The one I had prior to that I'd had for about 12 years or longer (Kenmore).

hellokitty
09-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Why do you think you need to get a new one? Our mid-level weber grill has been well used and about 7 yrs old. It's still going strong. I've heard of ppl picking up rusted webers that ppl put out for the trash, re-painted it and it was good to go. I think they are made to last for a pretty long time.

lisams
09-11-2008, 12:07 AM
Ours is 9 years old, and we use it a few times a month throughout the entire year. It's still working great.

dotgirl
09-11-2008, 12:37 AM
We have 2 grills - a Weber Kettle that we've had for about 9 years, and a propane one (I forget the brand) that we've had for 5 years. Both grills are still going strong. Prior to our current propane grill, we had a smaller propane grill which DH had before we were together - he kept it about 10 years.

mom2binsd
09-11-2008, 03:22 AM
We have a cheapo (cost about 150.00) gas grill from Home Depot that was our first joint purchase 10 years ago this August...it's been moved from San Diego to Utah to IL and still works...not perfect but it's not an expense high up on our list of things to buy and if IT AIN'T BROKE....we don't replace.

traumarn
09-11-2008, 03:22 AM
i actally have 2 semi-opposing views on this...as a man, i'd say :"new grill!" as an otherwise impartial person:if it ain't rusted thru, go to home depot/lowes and get a re-build kit for $25-40- has new hoses, grilling/flame element, etc, and get a $5 can of flat black high-temp spray paint.

....but....a new grill also makes a great christmas present.....hhhhmmm.....

ellies mom
09-11-2008, 04:21 AM
We live in the Pacific NW. A few times the husband didn't put his old grill inside for the winter and we did have to buy a rebuild kit the next spring. But he went crazy a few years back and bought a smoker, then a fancy charcoal grill, then finally a new propane grill over a 3 year period. I did manage to talk him down to the smoker (doubles as a regular grill) and the propane (Weber Q because it is pretty portable).

Honestly though, I don't mind because it is something he enjoys and he makes mean ribs.

o_mom
09-11-2008, 07:32 AM
We have a built in gas grill that came with the house - I think it is around 10 years old and works well, except the automatic ignitor is broken. The previous house we had a built-in that we put in ourselves about 6-7 years prior and it did not have a single issue in that time - the grates, coals, ignitor, etc. all worked just fine. That one was a Ducane, which we loved.

lmwbasye
09-11-2008, 12:08 PM
We have a 7 year old Weber that maybe doesn't look the prettiest from being outside and moving so much, but works just fine.

crayonblue
09-11-2008, 12:12 PM
We had a beautiful Vermont Castings grill...for less than a year. DH didn't bungee cord it down and a big gust of wind blew it across our deck and busted the thing.

We now have a cheap Home Depot grill and we make sure it is tied down! We've had this one for about a year.

cvanbrunt
09-11-2008, 01:41 PM
We have a Weber kettle that is around 25 years old. DH's stepdad gave it too him when he moved out of the house. I think its a point of pride for him. We use it all the time.