PDA

View Full Version : Burr grinders?

new_mommy25
09-11-2008, 04:37 AM
I looked on Amazon but it's hard to weed past all the negative and positive reviews. I'd rather have BBB feedback. :) What brands and models do you suggest? Anything I should stay away from. I'd like to keep it under $200.

writermama
09-11-2008, 10:50 AM
I have a Baratza Virtuoso -- I think it retails at $199. I've been generally pleased with it for grinding a fine espresso grind and drip grind. It does a coarse french press grind, but at least when I do it, there's some fine mixed in with the coarse so the result is mildly thick.

I have noticed that if I switch from a fine grind to a coarse grind, and then want ot switch back to a fine grind, it doesn't adjust well unless I take it apart and clean it. I clean it with a brush -- just take a few pieces apart and brush all the surfaces, so it's not a big deal, just a nuisance. Once a month or so, I run minute rice (generic store brand, don't use regular or converted rice.) through the grinder to clean it, then brush the white dust clean.

In a similar price range, I've read similarly positive but mixed reviews of the Gaggia MDF.

For a variety of in-depth reviews, you might want to check out coffeegeek.com

smkinc
09-11-2008, 10:45 PM
We have had a Gaggia MDF for almost 2 years, and it works very well. We mostly use if for espresso. Around Thanksgiving/Christmas, there may be some good sales at Amazon (we bought ours when they were offering $25 off $150 or more purchase) or WholeLattelove.com will occasionally have a 10% sitewide.

HTH