PDA

View Full Version : Help me buy a used car

Laurel
09-11-2008, 10:52 AM
I know this topic is a lot less exciting than some of the others out there, but I wanted to give the members of this board a chance to come together and give me their best BTDT advice on buying a used car.

We're in the market for a 2006 Pilot, paying cash. DH will not consider a new car. If I could pay someone to go deal with the used car guys for me I would in a heartbeat!

sunriseiz
09-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Will DH not go with you? Best advice is be willing to walk away. REALLY. I have walked away before and had them call a few days or a week later...

Good luck!

Oh, and know the going rates in your area (look at consumer reports, but also cars.com to see what's fair)

BeachBum
09-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Also if you are at a dealer ask to see the car faq (fax) report. If it is an individual then ask them for the VIN so you can look it up yourself. The car faq will tell you how many owners the car has had, it's service record (if at a dealer) and if it has been wrecked.

My other advice is from my dad about car shopping "don't fall in love with your first kiss". :) There are a lot of cars out there, take your time, shop around, know the value etc.