PDA

View Full Version : Wetting pants (on purpose) HELP

BeachBum
09-11-2008, 04:38 PM
DS is 3 and has been PT for a year. We haven't had accidents since the first few months of PT.

Recently we have had several "accidents". When I ask him why he has peed in his pants his answers have been "I thought it would be fun" and "I was too busy watching TV", and "because I wanted to".

I've told him I was was really mad that he didn't use the potty and that kids who didn't use the potty couldn't watch TV. He has not been bothered by my being upset, his wet pants, or even turning the TV off (which ordinarily would be a melt down if it was in the middle of a show)

We have had a lot of changes lately, house torn up for remodel and starting school....but what does that have to do with anything or have to do with my response? It feels more like him being lazy/ or exerting control.

I'm sooooo annoyed. I just don't know what to do/ say. HELP PLEASE.

Momof3Labs
09-11-2008, 04:43 PM
He may be doing it for your attention. I'd try to be ho-hum about it and show him how to clean himself and the mess up. I'd also consider putting him back in diapers if you think it would phase him - if it would just make him more lazy, it might backfire on you.

Sounds like there's been a lot of stress lately for him, plus your pregnancy may be affecting him in ways that he can't articulate. It's not uncommon for kids to regress in this situation, honestly.

egoldber
09-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Potty regression is a very normal reaction to any ONE of the events going on in your life. I would do as Lori said. Be matter of fact about it and also try to spend some quality one on one time with him to give him a time and place to try and articulate his feelings.

ETA: It IS about him exerting control. He's probably feeling like things are spiraling out of control in his little world and pottying is one thing he has complete control over.