PDA

View Full Version : When did your DC start sleeping with covers, and keep them on?

catpagmo
09-12-2008, 12:06 PM
My DD is 2.75 yo. She has been trying to sleep with a PBK toddler comforter at night. Now that it's getting colder in the evenings, I'm worried about her kicking off the covers. This morning, I went into her room, and her feet, nose, cheeks, etc were freezing! She had kicked the comforter off.

Is she too young to sleep with covers? Do your DCs this age sleep with covers, or in a footed sleeper, or something else? She's potty trained, but still in a crib. I just hate the idea of her being so cold at night. Maybe I should just put her in lots of layers...

What are your strategies?

Thanks!

neeter
09-12-2008, 12:15 PM
My son started using covers consistently (and reaching for them) around 3.5 or so.

This is a tricky season, because when they go to bed its still warm, but overnight it gets cold. What we do is put our 18 month old to bed in shorty pj's and then transfer him to a sleep sack in the middle of the night (when we go to bed).

You could do something similar for your child -- add layers later at night -- get a fleece jacket (zutano has nice once) or just a long sleeved shirt and put it on her later at night. It might be too warm when she goes to bed to go into footed pj's, at least until it really turns into fall.

daniele_ut
09-12-2008, 12:29 PM
We moved DS out of his crib into a bed nearly a year ago and he still doesn't keep his covers on! In the fall, winter and most of the cooler spring he sleeps in fleece pajamas, sometimes footed!

hez
09-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Somewhere between 3 1/2 and 4. He's still pretty inconsistent about it at 5. I've been known to go pull the covers up over him partway through the night. He also gets up early in the morning & climbs in under the covers in bed with me, so at least part of the morning I know he's covered up well.

SnuggleBuggles
09-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Around 3.5. Just dress her warmly and don't expect her to use the blanket. :)

Beth

MommyAllison
09-12-2008, 01:09 PM
DD has been in a twin since just after her 1st birthday, and last winter we gave her a comforter and she did pretty well. She takes her covers on and off throughout the night as she gets too warm or cold. It gets really cold here on the winter, and she takes off footed jammies, so two piece cotton jammies are our only option.

cono0507
09-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Still not keeping them on at 3.5 yo. He is potty trained, but as long as he goes to the bathroom right before bed, he doesn't get up at night. So, we still are using the Halo sleep sack that has holes for the feet:
https://www.halosleep.com/products/detail/11/big_kids_sleepsacktrade_wearable_blanket/36/micro-fleece_big_kids_sleepsacktrade_wearable_blanket_/

niccig
09-12-2008, 01:44 PM
3. We moved him to the converted crib and he kept the covers on, maybe more do to with less room to move. He's now in a full bed and pulls them on/off as needed, he's 4 in December. If you're worried, put her in footed fleece sleepers, and on cold nights we would double layer - cotton footed sleeper then a fleece over the top.

maestramommy
09-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Dora is turning 3 in a couple of weeks. In the month since we've moved here we are trying to encourage her to use the blanket as a cover if she is cold, rather than just a toy in her crib:) We cover her up when we tuck her in and we have seen her in the middle of the night still covered. But in most cases I've seen her in her turtle position on top of a mountain of crumpled blanket. Sigh, it's really time to find some warmer jammies.

WatchingThemGrow
09-12-2008, 03:03 PM
We're not trying the covers thing for a while yet. I just don't see them staying on.

We use Sleepsacks. Cotton in the summer/daytime in winter, fleece (over fleece pj's) in the winter at night. I'm going to make my own toddler size cotton ones whenever I can shut my computer and not worry with my DC for a couple hours.

HIU8
09-12-2008, 04:37 PM
DS was 3.5 when he started--actually he started on vacation. He now sleeps with his head at the foot of his bed under the sheet and blanket. (I make his bed backwards for him). Plus, he sleeps in long pants and long sleeve pj's a nd socks and he stays under the covers all night long.

gatorsmom
09-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Gator started at about 4 yo. Cha Cha, who just turned 3, still kicks them off. So, he still gets to wear the flannel pjs with footies at night. all year long.

mecawa
09-12-2008, 06:29 PM
DD #1 was 2.5 yrs. when she started to sleep with covers on and be able to keep them on/reach for them if needed. Before that we just dressed her warmly in blanket sleepers or sleep sacks (pre walking).

s7714
09-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Both my DDs started staying covered around the age of 3-3.5. That said I still can't get my 5.5 year old to sleep in a fully made bed. She'll sleep with her quilt loosely spread over her and keep it there, but she goes stir crazy if we try to put the flat sheet on her bed too. It ends up kicked to the very end of the bed every single night and she'll just pull the comforter back on top of herself. :shrug:

catpagmo
09-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Okay...thanks for all the responses! Most nights, I go in and check on DD like 2-3 times to make sure she's covered, but that's getting a little old. Perhaps she will do better with the covers in the next year or so.

Thanks again!

Looks like I need to start my search for some warm fleece footed sleepers...

elephantmeg
09-13-2008, 12:05 PM
I bought footie PJ's again for this winter