PDA

View Full Version : Waking up from nap

Mommy Of A Little Angel
09-12-2008, 02:17 PM
DD has started waking up from naps in the worst mood ever. It doesn't seem to matter how long she sleeps. She doesn't go to sleep upset but when she wakes up she is all about throwing herself on the floor, crying, etc. It takes nearly 30 minutes to calm her down.

Is this just a phase or what?

HIU8
09-12-2008, 02:46 PM
DS does this as well, but only at home. At preschool when he stays in the afternoons and naps he never wakes up like that (the school would have called me b/c it can take 30-60 minutes to calm DS down). I think it's a phase and he knows he can do it at home so he does it. I have no idea how to end it or know when/if it will end. It is very difficult for me b/c DD tries to help DS and he gets violent if anyone but me is near him.

hillview
09-12-2008, 03:06 PM
DS #1 used to do this for a couple of weeks. It almost seemed like he woke up too suddenly from a very very deep sleep and was very upset. Good news is that it ended after a couple of weeks. We would often go back to his bed and read til he calmed down.

GOOD LUCK!
/hillary

nrp
09-12-2008, 03:41 PM
No help, but my DD (21 months) has been doing this off and on for the past couple of months. It seems to have gotten worse lately. Sometimes a video or going outside will help, but not always. It's pretty alarming - she's like a wild animal. I hope someone else has some advice.

Twoboos
09-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Yep, DD2 can be like this. I find if she eats something immediately as soon as we're downstairs, it helps. (but, this girl loves her food, so ymmv. :)) And then she's back to her old, 3 year old self and having a fit about something else, lol!

pinkmomagain
09-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Yep, DD2 can be like this. I find if she eats something immediately as soon as we're downstairs, it helps. (but, this girl loves her food, so ymmv. :)) And then she's back to her old, 3 year old self and having a fit about something else, lol!

Yes, I always found that when my kids woke up cranky, it seemed like they were low in blood sugar. If I gave them a cup of milk/juice and a snack upon waking, the crankiness was short-lived/non existent.

BeachBum
09-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Sometimes we can do a snack. But my usual go to is to put on a "happy" kid CD and tell him to snuggle his lovey until he is really to come out. He typically comes out saying "I'm happy and I feel better". He is newly 3.

Pennylane
09-12-2008, 04:27 PM
My 3 yr old dd is a bear when she wakes up! I try to get her to rest longer on the sofa and watch a Dora, but if that does not work I send her right back up to her room until she is happy!

Ann

DrSally
09-13-2008, 10:35 PM
DS needs time to wake up. Many times I let him lay in his crib for 5-10 min after he wakes up so he can sing to himself and wake up. If I were to wake him up and try to get him out of the crib right away, he either wants to nurse or watch a show. forget about changing diaper or getting dressed, that can cause a real problem--screaming, crying, etc. If we really need to get moving somewhere in the morning or after nap, I let him know well in advance and that seems to help.