PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Outdoor Decor

ray7694
09-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Looking for some cute Outdoor Halloween Decor. Any ideas? What do you put out?

TIA

hellokitty
09-12-2008, 04:22 PM
I think that the halloween themed stranded lights are cute. I also think that those orange garbage bags with jack o lantern faces on them that you stuff with leaves are pretty clever, lol. I have not seen any of those for a long time, but remember them being popular yrs ago. Some ppl also like to change out their outdoor lighting. For example, they will take out the regular white light bulbs and replace them with orange or green ones to make it look spooky. I have a flag pole and have a halloween flag that I hang on it as well. I think it is really up to you what you want to do. Some ppl go really crazy and get those huge blow up haunted houses and stick that in their front yard. Fun, but where the heck do you store something like that??? :shrug: Even when it's folded down, they can still be pretty big. Also, I think it's pretty when ppl just do a harvest theme, like old cornstalks around a lantern pole, pumpkins and mums, etc..

bubbaray
09-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Where to start. DH goes to town, as do many of our neighbors. One family puts up a complete facade on their house and converts it to a haunted house.

DH has put out stuffed jeans with shoes sticking out from underneath the garage door, to make it look like someone got squished by the garage door. Very believable actually. Scared the little kids too much, so he's not done that recently

He hangs a large black spider (about 3' across) over our front door and one of us drops it (via string from the upstairs window) to just above the TOT'ers heads. That's fun....

He has lots of yard decorations. Many people here do the large blow-up/fan decorations too, the ones that are about 12' high.

We decorate our front window with a large skeleton, put spider webbing behind it, orange pumpkin lights around the window and a spotlight from below the skeleton.

The front door has orange pumpkin lights and spider webbing around it. We switch out all the exterior lights for orange ones.

niccig
09-12-2008, 05:21 PM
We have head stones in the middle of the garden and fake spider webbing. I made a spider's nest - I got a white paper lantern and then hung spiders at different lengths. I did paper cut outs and stuck to the front window and pulled down the blinds and turned the lights on so you can see the scene. The most fun was painting and decorating pumpkins with DS. Most of my ideas come from Family Fun or Parenting magazine.

bubbaray
09-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Duh, yes. We do pumpkins too. Carved with lights and uncarved. How could I forget that, LOL!

luvmypeanut
09-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Is there an alternative to hay for stuffing? We're having a party and I'd like to make a scarecrow or two but I have no idea where to go about getting hay.

ltmommy
09-12-2008, 08:30 PM
I don't really like to go all-out, but I do like putting a few things in the yard. I found some very cute, not-too-scary outdoor metal items at Michael's last year. I think one is a metal pumpkin that hangs from a hook attached to a stake, and the other is a metal pumpkin that props up.

Although I am intrigued by the fake crows I have seen - I'd love to get a whole bunch and scatter them through the front yard, sort of spooky but understated.

BeachBum
09-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Is there an alternative to hay for stuffing? We're having a party and I'd like to make a scarecrow or two but I have no idea where to go about getting hay.

We stuff ours with newspaper, then stick a little pine straw around the sleeve cuffs and neck hole.

We do those plastic pumpkins you can carve. We have a stack with our house numbers in them which are kind of cute.
We also do a scary guy or two with masks and a graveyard with humorous sayings. On our front porch we also do spider webs with spiders, bats etc.

We do a lot of decorating hopefully without it being tacky :) When halloween is over we remove all the scary stuff and just leave out the plain pumpkins.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
09-13-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm a sucker myself for anything having to do with "it's the great pumpkin charlie brown." We've been pretty tame in the past few years. Mostly pumpkins and mums on the front steps and window clings in our big front window. This year i might do more since dd is getting older and really facinated by halloween.
I'm actually getting some ideas by just watching this thread. Maybe lights and spiderweb around the front door would be kind off neat.

ray7694
09-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Love the ideas.

Anyone have Photos?

linsei
09-13-2008, 10:53 PM
I was thinking of doing this - in all my free time, of course...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=HomeDecor/1003_ci_FirstImpressions.html&rn=RightNavFiles/rightNavHomeDecor