PDA

View Full Version : PC alternative title to "Breakfast with Dad"

SnuggleBuggles
09-12-2008, 10:59 PM
I am organizing some events at ds's school and I want to do, well, a breakfast with dad. But, I want to acknowledge that not everyone has a dad, doesn't have a dad that lives near them, lives with a step dad... so I want a title that reflects that the special dad-like figure in your life is invited. All I have now is "the special man in your life" but that isn't doing it for me. Ideas?
Beth

Wife_and_mommy
09-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Flame away but I'm not a huge fan of PC. Do not most of the kids have *dads*? I always thought it a compliment to tell someone I thought of them like a dad, mom, or whatever.

I definitely wouldn't use "special man in your life".

JMS
09-12-2008, 11:11 PM
I have to agree with the PP. I would not use "special man in your life". It sounds like a romantic involvement.

SnuggleBuggles
09-12-2008, 11:14 PM
I know. I wouldn't use the "special man" wording either. Whihc is why I am stuck. I would have gone with breakfast w/ dad but I got vetoed by our vice principal. I like her so I am going to go with her judgement and try and find a different title.

Beth

Laurel
09-12-2008, 11:17 PM
I think you can call it "breakfast with dad" as long as the all the related info makes it clear that this is for dads, grandpas, stepdads, uncles, big brothers or male father-figure friends, etc...you could call it "bring a man to breakfast" (I'm kidding).

Or you could get wordy and call it a breakfast for dads and male relatives. I'm sure there will be also kids with a dad who just can't make it, so this gives the option of bringing someone else instead.

lisams
09-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Breakfast Buddies (then in smaller print) Bring that someone special: Dad, Grandpa, Uncle, etc.
Brunch Bunch

Good luck, that's tricky!

Wife_and_mommy
09-12-2008, 11:34 PM
I know. I wouldn't use the "special man" wording either. Whihc is why I am stuck. I would have gone with breakfast w/ dad but I got vetoed by our vice principal. I like her so I am going to go with her judgement and try and find a different title.

Beth

Ugh...

Okay...how about "breakfast with a dude" or "the dude breakfast"? "the dude and you breakfast"?

I know it's early in the school year but maybe the VP can be convinced to keep "dad"?

I'm not known for my creativity. ;)

mamicka
09-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Good suggestions - they're better than mine.

Fatherly Breakfast
Manly Meal
Donut Dudes

I think Breakfast with Dad is probably your best bet, LOL.

motherofone
09-12-2008, 11:39 PM
This is lame but the best titles I could think of were "Breakfast with a Buddy" , "Me and Mr. Breakfast", or "Breakfast with a hero". We are having the same trouble with our Grandparents' Day Celebration- "bring an old person to school day" isn't working for us either.

buddyleebaby
09-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Breakfast of Champions?

Make sure you serve wheaties...

Wife_and_mommy
09-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Breakfast Buddies (then in smaller print) Bring that someone special: Dad, Grandpa, Uncle, etc.
Brunch Bunch

Good luck, that's tricky!

DING DING DING I think we have a winner! I love Breakfast Buddies: Bring blah blah...

Wife_and_mommy
09-12-2008, 11:46 PM
"bring an old person to school day" isn't working for us either.

:hysterical: My MIL would *love* that...not.:hysterical:

I'd use the breakfast buddy: bring blah.

SnuggleBuggles
09-12-2008, 11:47 PM
We are having the same trouble with our Grandparents' Day Celebration- "bring an old person to school day" isn't working for us either.

Thanks for the laugh!! Love it! :)

We solved the grandparent dilema with the phrase "GrandBuddy" (grandparent or special loved one).

If it gets any creative juices flowing more than the already great ideas you have given me, we have a safari theme going that week so if you could think of a way to tie that in with breakfast and man I'm all ears!

Keep em coming!

Beth

Ceepa
09-13-2008, 10:16 AM
"Me and Mr. Breakfast"

This is now what I'm going to call our Saturday mornings when DH makes DC pancakes! Awesome!

jd11365
09-13-2008, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=Wife_and_mommy]Flame away but I'm not a huge fan of PC. Do not most of the kids have *dads*?

While *most* kids do, it can be terribly sad for those who do not. I have had plenty of students who never had a father figure in their life, father, grandfather, uncle or otherwise. And because the majority do, it doesn't make it ok. I personally appreciate the consideration of the OP.

heatherlynn
09-13-2008, 11:06 AM
At my DD's school, they do "Breakfast with Some"buddy" Special." It used to be breakfast with dad, but some were left out, either because there wasn't a dad in the picture or dad just wasn't available on that day. It's mostly dads with kids, but there are also plenty of single moms, grandparents, or moms whose DH's aren't available that day. For instance, a good friend of mine takes her DD since the dad isn't really in the picture. I've taken my DD a few times when my DH hasn't gotten off of work early enough.

Wife_and_mommy
09-13-2008, 11:41 AM
[quote=jd11365While *most* kids do, it can be terribly sad for those who do not. I have had plenty of students who never had a father figure in their life, father, grandfather, uncle or otherwise. And because the majority do, it doesn't make it ok. I personally appreciate the consideration of the OP.[/quote]

Agreed it can be sad. I had many sad moments that couldn't be helped because of my life circumstances. I made do and grew from the experience. Looking back I'm thankful for them even if they still bring me to tears. I'm a *much* better parent because of them. It's not about it being okay or not--it just is.

I agree it's considerate, just over the top, IMO.

mommyp
09-13-2008, 05:21 PM
I like "Breakfast with a Buddy" too.
My cousin's kids' school solved the Grandparents Day thing by calling it "GrandFriends Day". There were lots of grandmas and grandpas, but also great uncles and aunts (like my parents!) and other "older" folk.

srhs
09-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Breakfast of Champions?

Make sure you serve wheaties...

I liked all the suggestions but thought this was the cutest. Play some Rocky music or something as they trickle in.

deenass
09-13-2008, 06:10 PM
DS preschool called the annual "dad" breakfast a FUDGE breakfast which stood for Friend, Uncle, Dad, Grandpa, Extra Special someone. It was spelled out like an anagram.

jd11365
09-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Agreed it can be sad. I had many sad moments that couldn't be helped because of my life circumstances. I made do and grew from the experience. Looking back I'm thankful for them even if they still bring me to tears. I'm a *much* better parent because of them. It's not about it being okay or not--it just is.

I agree it's considerate, just over the top, IMO.

I'm one for avoiding bringing children to tears over things that can be easily remedied by taking the time to think it all out, as the OP has done. I love Breakfast Buddies!
It's a bee in my bonnet to be honest. I'm not picking on you personally. ;) It reminds me of the teachers I've worked with who feel it's over the top to change an ornament exchange to a cookie swap at the holidays. The reply was always, "Most of the kids in my class are Christian." Nice. Consideration is consideration, kwim?

kijip
09-14-2008, 01:31 AM
While *most* kids do, it can be terribly sad for those who do not. I have had plenty of students who never had a father figure in their life, father, grandfather, uncle or otherwise. And because the majority do, it doesn't make it ok. I personally appreciate the consideration of the OP.

:yeahthat: In some communities one would be able to say that MOST kids do not have a father in the home or their life on a regular basis.

Corie
09-14-2008, 07:18 AM
This is lame but the best titles I could think of were "Breakfast with a Buddy" , "Me and Mr. Breakfast", or "Breakfast with a hero". We are having the same trouble with our Grandparents' Day Celebration- "bring an old person to school day" isn't working for us either.

I like "Me and Mr. Breakfast". :)

You've got the Mr. in there so they know to bring a male.

kransden
09-14-2008, 09:53 AM
I like Breakfast Buddies too. My DH travels every week. We are at a new school. At the old school she would have sat with one or her friends' dads. If we didn't know at least 3 weeks in advance and have it planned on a Mon, Thur, or Fri. DH couldn't go. If I didn't come she would have no one to go with her. Why should she sit in the corner crying that she misses Daddy? We have enough of that as it is. Nothing says "I love school!" more than events designed to make kids cry. So while bringing Dad or a male is ideal, Bringing a buddy is a great idea.

supercalifragilous
09-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Do not most of the kids have *dads*?

Uh... I know a bunch of gay couples where one has taken on the mom role and the other an "alternative" (yet not necessarily paternal) role. PC or not, I don't think it's kind to the kids to put them in a situation where they'd feel excluded b/c their parents don't fit the conventional stereotypes.

MamaKath
09-14-2008, 11:13 AM
I am organizing some events at ds's school and I want to do, well, a breakfast with dad.

We do both "Donuts with Dad" and "Muffins with Mom". When we send out the info we acknowledge that not everyone has a Mom or Dad able to attend and suggest the kids choose a special person that could try to attend. If they have no one able to come at all, we pair them up with a friend and their parent/guest. The goal is to try to make each kid feel as special as we can. It has worked very well, and the title has not been an issue at all! Grandparents Day is the same. We ask the kids to bring someone special, but it does not have to be a grandparent! We get family friends, aunts, uncles, parents, teachers, etc. in addition to a lot of grandparents!

HTH~

mommy111
09-14-2008, 02:14 PM
:yeahthat:
Its not so much about PC as it is about not having kids feel upset, excluded or lonely and I appreciate the OP's consideration in thinking about this. I love the buddy or champs ideas, both are very cute!

ha98ed14
09-15-2008, 11:30 AM

Beth

Well, based on the feedback in this thread, I'd say your vice principal was right. Would you consider borrowing the "F.U.D.G.E. Breakfast" idea? You could print a banner like this:

Breakfast with F.U.D.G.E.
Friends, Uncles, Dads, Grandpas, Extra Special Someones

and then have some kind of (even minor) chocolate at the breakfast to carry the theme. Examples: pancakes with a little hot fuduge sauce, choc chip pancakes, hot cocoa, cocoa puffs cereal, chocolate muffins, etc.

Personally I love this idea as a way to include everyone. My parents divorced when I was 5 and my dad lived 2 states away. He never came to school functions. And yes, in elementary school it was really hard not to have a dad around and then to have that difference augmented by a school function. Kudos to you principal for seeing that.

SnuggleBuggles
09-15-2008, 09:35 PM
We decided to go with Breakfast with FUDGE. :) Thank you for all the great ideas!!

Beth

CiderLogan
09-15-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm a bit late chiming in, but when I was in Girl Scouts long ago, we had a camping event called "Day with my Favorite Guy." Of course I always took my dad, and it was nice because he liked being rewarded as my "favorite guy" AND it left it open for someone else to come instead. So something like "Breakfast with Your Favorite Guy" could work too.