PDA

View Full Version : Baby turns on tummy to sleep

jtannerchs
09-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Hi,
1st time mom here - and I have a question about my 6 month old.

I still rock/ or feed her to sleep at night, and when I transfer her to the crib (on her back) she instantly turns to her side, and sometimes even to her tummy and continues to sleep.

Does anyone else's baby do this? Should I force her to stay on her back because of SIDS? I don't really think that would work anyway, but I worry about it.

Thanks for any words of experience out there!

mommyp
09-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Can she roll over well? DD started doing the same thing around that time and still likes to sleep on her side or tummy a lot. Our ped said as long as she could roll herself over both ways (back to front and front to back) we could stop flipping her over.

SnuggleBuggles
09-12-2008, 11:39 PM
At 6m the rate of SIDS drops so dramatically that I really wouldn't worry about it. I actually stopped worrying about tummy sleeping whenever he started being able to roll. I figured if he could get in and out of the positions that he was going to be fine. I trusted that he could move his head if need be. Just keep the crib free of toys, pillows, blankets, bumper pads (so that the air around baby's face stays fressher and less CO2 dense- a supposed SIDS risk) and know that you have done what you could to provide a safe environment for her.

Beth

jtannerchs
09-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the quick replies!

Yes, she can roll over both ways pretty well. I figured that was probably the test as to whether or not it was ok to leave her that way; I guess I just wanted to hear other people say it :) .

She was supposed to have her 6m check today, but it was canceled - and this question was the first thing I was going to ask.

Thanks again!