PDA

View Full Version : Organizing tool bench- any ideas?

SnuggleBuggles
09-13-2008, 10:10 AM
I am trying to organize dh's workbench for him and wasn't sure what the best way was to organize power tools, for example. Does anyone have any pointers for creating a useable work area? We have a big table and 2 long shelves above the table. I can't mount things to the wall easily because it is in the basement with thick concrete walls.

Thanks!
Beth

octmom
09-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Our workbench area is a mess at the moment, but the people who lived here before us were super organized. They mounted pegboard on the wall above one workbench and on another wall all the way down to the floor. They had lots of tools hung nicely on the pegboard. We do that with some things too, particuarly odd-shaped or large tools.

niccig
09-13-2008, 06:30 PM
We have a peg board for the hand tools - hammer, screw drivers etc. The only problem with peg boards, is that that the peg can come out when you get a tool down, but you can get clips that keep the peg in the hole. Definitely worth getting. You can also get peg board accessories to hold specific items and I found small baskets at the $1 that I could put on 2 peg board hooks and I keep the measuring tape etc in there.

For the power tools, can you put them on the shelves, or are they too big or bulky? We've only got basic tools like drill, sander ec, and they would work on shelves above. Our workbench has built in sheving underneath and that's where I put the power tools, each tool stays in the case it came in or in a plastic tub eg. orbital sander in a plastic tub with extra sheets of sandpaper. Or do you have room for a shelving unit by the work bench? You could also stack plastic containers under the work table. Our workbench is L-shaped in a corner with 1 shelf underneath and then I found plastic containers that would fit from the ground to the shelf and I put things like extension cords, ropes etc in these tubs.

The previous owner also installed little holders for screws/nails along one wall - this is VERY handy. When he left, he left all the screws and nails as well, as he didn't need them. Makes finding things a little easier.
HTH

SnuggleBuggles
09-14-2008, 09:47 AM
You have both given me some great ideas! Thank you!! I think I will go with the under the table bins for the power tools. I like the idea of keeping all the necessary materials that go with them together. This is a present for dh so they are his tools. Hopefully I can figure out what goes with what! I have a pretty good idea for most things.

Maybe I can buy myself a labeler for this project. :)

Beth

etf spelling