PDA

View Full Version : What type of Martial Art's for child

TraciG
09-13-2008, 11:06 AM
I have alway's wanted to have Sydney try Karate or something similar, how do I know which one, there are so many different martial art's ????

Tondi G
09-13-2008, 07:46 PM
My older DS is 7 and has been taking Tae Kwon Do for a year and a half. I can't say enough good things about it! My Husband was so impressed by it that he actually signed up as well. Our Do Jang is run by a 60+ year old Grand Master and the level of instruction is VERY high. They teach not only Tae Kwon Do but also Hap Ki Do and Ho Shin Moo Do (which was created by Grand Master Kim). If you can find a school that is run by a Master who was trained in Korea or by a high level Master from Korea then I would go for it! Not all schools are created equally!!!!

Here is a link to our school... it honestly is like a 2nd family to us at this point!

www.skymartialarts.net

I love that it is not all about just kicking and punching... it is about discipline/focus, respect, and all around well being.... mind and body.... for the kids and adults alike!

Most schools will offer an intro deal... Ours has 2 classes for $20 that includes a uniform to keep (shirt and pants). In 2 classes you will know if your child (and you) likes it or not!

I am thankful for what Martial Arts has brought to our life/family!

Good luck, HTHs you!

~Tondi

Melaine
09-13-2008, 08:49 PM
I did Kempo Karate along with my dad, 2 brothers and sister when I was in highschool. My parents made me try it to get some self defense training. I was not interested, but I ended up LOVING it. It was such a good experience for us. I think there are a lot of great options as far as styles of martial arts, what I would look at is the environment of the school and look for what the PP said about discipline, etc....

MMEand1
09-13-2008, 11:30 PM
We put my DS in ATA Taekwondo a little over a year ago. He loves it. My DD just started a few weeks ago and she has been enjoying it as well. It has helped my DS listen and focus more on what is being said. They do all kinds of fun activities during class to keep the kids interested and involved.

Finding a good school is tough as there are tons of them out there. My advice would be to go and visit a potential school and see how many children there are and how the instructors interact with them. Do they teach them on a level that young children can relate to or do they talk down to them and treat them like little adults? How strict is the class? How long are the classes and how well do the kids listen towards the end of longer classes?

Visit a few of the martial arts schools in your area and you will get a feel for what's right for your DC. Good luck!

MMEand1
09-13-2008, 11:39 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l94/m2e2/atagraduation012.jpg

Here's my little green belt right after the promotion ceremony in August!
Mariah P.

TraciG
09-15-2008, 10:09 AM
CUTE PIC !

Thank's everyone !

TraciG
09-15-2008, 10:11 AM
that school does look amazing where are they located ?

billysmommy
09-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Billy just started kempo karate yesterday and loves it!!!

CAM7
09-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Another vote for TKD here! My daughter was in it for several years and loved it...

My ex hubby even joined with her and is now a black belt!

CAM7
09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
I love that it is not all about just kicking and punching... it is about discipline/focus, respect, and all around well being.... mind and body.... for the kids and adults alike!

yes it helped my DD with self discipline skills!

Tondi G
09-15-2008, 01:06 PM
that school does look amazing where are they located ?

It is an amazing school... I feel so lucky to have them close by! They are in Los Angeles! Where are you again? You can always look up the TKD federation and see if they have links to schools in your area! Ask around at school etc and see if anyone has recommendations.