PDA

View Full Version : What age for Magnatiles? Automoblox?

fivi2
09-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi - already thinking of the holidays and my dds upcoming third birthday! I remember last year there was a lot of talk about magnatiles...

What ages did you start the magnatiles? Are they still a big hit?

Same questions about Automoblox.

Thanks for any input! I am already overwhelmed :)

pastrygirl
09-13-2008, 02:49 PM
My son turned 2 in June and is starting to get into his Automoblox. I don't give him the people to play with because he can stick them all the way into his mouth. He can't quite put them together by himself, but he loves it when I help him (or when daddy helps). I'd love to try Magnatiles, too, but I don't know that he'd use them yet.

KBecks
09-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Automoblox minis were a dud here (ages 1.5 and 3 when we got them). Too many smaller parts, the boys took them apart and tracking the pieces was a PITA. Full size might be a lot better, but they're more spendy.

caheinz
09-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Magnatiles are labeled 3+, but are safe below that. Most kids won't show much interest below age 3, though. (I've asked the owner in the past.)

At 4.5, they're still going strong here, and I think they'll have a good bit of life left.

Not sure about Automoblox. We have some minis, and those are still fun. DS will get some big ones as presents from his new little brothers soon, but we haven't opened them up yet. From what I recall, you'd have to at least remove the people (they only come with the big ones) for them to be safe for an under-3 crowd.

MMMommy
09-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Both my girls (4 1/2 and 3 1/2) are into the Magnatiles. They seem to only like the clear Magnatiles and not the colored ones. We have both, and they never play with the colored ones. But the clear ones are a definite hit with them right now.

hillview
09-13-2008, 07:15 PM
My son really started playing with magantiles just after he was 2.5. He is 3 now and LOVES them -- makes all sorts of buildings. Automoblox are not a hit here and he's had them since he was 2.5.
/hillary

fivi2
09-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks everyone! It would be for their 3rd birthday, and they are done eating toys (for the most part ;) ).

I wish there was a way to test drive toys before buying them! These seem kind of pricey to not know if they will be liked.

Thanks for the help!

buddyleebaby
09-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Magnatiles were an instant hit with DD1- she got them when she was 2.5. The things she made right off the bat amazed me!
She still loves them and DD2 has started playing with them as well.
They have the colored ones, I am planning on getting a set of the clear for Christmas this year. With two of them playing with them, one set is not enough.

vwh99
09-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Got the Magnatiles for my daughter (4), but my son also liked playing with them at 20months. Now that he's 2, he seems to be even more interested in them.