PDA

View Full Version : Are warehouse store memberships worth it?

la mama
09-13-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm just wondering how many of you have memberships to stores like Costco or Sam's and whether or not you think it's worth the yearly fee.

If you answered yes:
what do you buy there on a regular basis?
how often do you shop there?

I live near a Sam's and my husband can get a slightly discounted membership through his work but I still want to make sure we would making a smart decision. Thanks for your input!

Melbel
09-13-2008, 02:57 PM
We shop at Costco on a weekly or every other week basis. We routinely purchase water, toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent, soap, yogurt drinks, various food items (i.e. guacamole, pot stickers, chicken, steaks) and many other household items. We do the executive membership with a 2% rebate that more than pays for our membership.

ellies mom
09-13-2008, 03:01 PM
We try to only shop at Costco once a month because we spend too much money on fun stuff if we go more often.

We buy paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, frozen foods (dinosaur nuggets), some fresh food, clothes occasionally (especially PJ's for the girls). Basically anything that won't go bad before we finish it.

For fun we buy movies, books and toys. We have bought computers, mattresses, tires, you name it. I also get my photos printed there.

Melaine
09-13-2008, 03:13 PM
I voted yes, but I do sometimes wonder....we just have Sams and while there are several things there that we always get, there are a lot of other things that are way over-priced....you just have to do the math. At our Sams there are a couple GREAT items that we buy for staples: Organic dark-blend salad (I cannot rave enough about this stuff, It is a BIG box stuffed full of delicious salad and the shelf life is SOOOO much longer than any other salad I've ever gotten: $3.44) Big cans of pineapple (much cheaper than small cans elsewhere, unfortunately its the only canned fruit in juice) that we open and freeze, huge block of cheddar cheese, raisins and other dried fruit. Sams is also great if you do a lot of baking, or holiday cooking. I also think its a really fun place to go and we love taking the girls because they have TWO seats in the carts!! You just really need to compare and do the math to be sure you are getting deals. :-)

elliput
09-13-2008, 03:16 PM
I have had a Sam's Club and/or Costco membership for 15 years and have both have definitely paid for themselves every year. Some bigger purchases have paid for the membership themselves (tires, surround sound system, etc) plus some savings.

BillK
09-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Costco's return policy alone makes membership there worth every penny.

srhs
09-13-2008, 03:43 PM
In our area, Sam's gas is usually cheaper than everyone else too.
We like their produce...usually about the same price as the grocery but for larger quantity and fresher. Very few organic items, but few main grocery stores in my area carry organic. I do also love the tub of field greens pp mentioned.
I'd buy more goods if I had the storage, but the pp who mentioned it's not always a good deal has a point.
Oh, their cakes are a great deal.
And Sample Day can save you from buying lunch. ;)
For the holidays, I usually find movies, books, toys cheaper than other b&m stores.

How much is the membership though? Ours is free through employer so it's easy for me to say...

bubbaray
09-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Costco's return policy alone makes membership there worth every penny.

:yeahthat:

Melaine
09-13-2008, 03:56 PM
I think it's $40/year for us but I could be wrong. Currently we get it through DH's employer too.

ThreeofUs
09-13-2008, 04:47 PM
We shop at Costco on a weekly or every other week basis. *snip* We do the executive membership with a 2% rebate that more than pays for our membership.

:yeahthat: We buy all of our paper goods, many books and DVDs, most of the organic and pharmacy items they carry and, frankly, most everything we can for our house, trailer, and cars from Costco. Heck, when we lived in CA, I bought a surfboard there!

I look around to match prices, and Costco is generally less expensive for the best quality - even when comparing to web-only retailers. I also love their CS and return policies.

KBecks
09-13-2008, 04:49 PM
It totally depends. For me personally, the warehouse stores are a bit of a drive, and we don't have enough need right now. I may reconsider when my 3 boys become tweens and our food consumption levels increase.

hillview
09-13-2008, 07:12 PM
We go to costco's we get
diapers
wipes
formula (not any more but a MASSIVE savings)
paper towels
toilet paper
books
some christmas toys

For us it makes sense although when kids are out of diapers we will rethink.
/hillary

mamaoftwins
09-13-2008, 07:36 PM
I think Sam's for us is totally worth it. Our local Costco is the pits. So, we've only been members at Sam's.

We buy:

diapers, wipes, formula. (all cheaper as is, but if I have a manu coupon or formula check, I buy from BRUs. Or if BRUs is having a diaper/wipe special.)
Frozen fruit is great in the winter.
Produce also well-priced.
DH loves the frozen BBQ pork sandwiches. Yuck. ;)
I love the huge cans of almonds.
Once in awhile, we get clothes and books for the boys.
Toilet paper and paper towels.
We got a huge playmat for the boys there for $20.33, well worth it.

My advice, check Sam's out one day without buying anything (you can get in just to check things out without being a member), bring a pad and pen and jot down prices and sizes of what you'd buy. Then, take your list to the grocery store or Target or Walmart or BRUs when you go next and price compare. That way you can see if you can make back the membership fee on savings.

I have a quick list in my wallet of various items (diapers, wipes, formula, baby food, mostly baby-related items) and each store's prices, that way when I get a coupon or see a sale, I can quickly figure out where it's cheapest to buy from.

zag95
09-13-2008, 07:45 PM
We typically shop at Costco once a month for diapers, formula, fruit, bread, coffee, chicken, beef, paper goods and cleaning supplies as needed, and occasionally clothing for our daughter! I try to go only once a month- sometimes we get milk too- which may last us for a week or so.

We also have bought glasses, contacts, tires and photos here. Great quality!

BeachBum
09-13-2008, 08:17 PM
When I'm making a big purchase of something--for example this summer I bought a playhouse for DS so I bought the membership just to get that. But for the most part, we don't find it to be worth it for food purchases.

We simply don't use many pre-packaged type products. As for meat and produce we do local produce and meats when available and I don't really buy in bulk and stock stuff in my freezer. Additionally, it is not near my house, so I can't use it on a weekly basis.

So if I thought I'd primarily be buying food, it's not worth it for us. But if I can count on some sort of large purchase then it is.

elephantmeg
09-13-2008, 08:27 PM
for me it's worth it just for the savings in milk. Regular skim milk this week at costco was 2.80/gal, at walmart it was 4.05! DH works right next door so he picks up milk there. We also buy meat (ground beef and chicken tenders mostly), cheese (I have a huge block of gouda right now as well as shredded ched and mixed cheese), sour cream if I'm doing a once a month cooking day and can actually go through 48 oz, fruit cups during the winter, babybell cheeses, some snack stuff on the very occasional times I buy pre packaged snacks (going out of town with long car trips), some clothes.... I'm sure there is more. We also get all our pics printed there. They have the best quality in town (DH is VERY picky!).

ETA diapers too!

Happy 2B mommy
09-13-2008, 10:17 PM
We *heart* Costco. DH drives past it on his way home from work and it's really close to our church so we go 2x a week. Milk is a HUGE savings. We got a lot of frozen/organic food there. I'm getting my glasses there, pj's for DD, occasionally books and toys at the holidays that I also give for Bdays (this year eyeing up a kitchen for DD) looking at getting flowers for my cousin's wedding through there. We also have the excutive membership, so it pays for part of the membership.

From our town, it's a drive for most of our friends/family, so we tend to buy for them as well. Otherwise the executive membership probably wouldn't pay off...

srhs
09-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Okay, stop with the Costco :love5: -ing. I'm so jealous! We don't have one!

daniele_ut
09-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Our Costco membership is totally worth it to us. DH and I both work full time so it's hard for me to stalk sales for things like toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent, formula, diapers and wipes. We buy all of those at Costco, mostly the Kirkland brand. They are all great quality and priced competitively. We are also Executive members and our membership paid for itself last year with the rebate that we got from our purchases, including a 42" flat screen.

Costco has some of the best prices around for contact lenses and eyeglasses and I buy both there each year. Their service is also stellar.

Costco also has a bunch of other services available to it's members and we may even be getting our mortgage through their referral program with Lending Tree. You get great rates and a $300 cash card at closing.

Honestly though, the savings on milk alone pays for our membership. We save $1 a gallon on 2 gallons each week.

ArizonaGirl
09-13-2008, 10:56 PM
We love Costco, but didn't care much for Sam's. We save enough to pay for the membership just buying gas, prescriptions, diapers, and wipes, without buying anything else; however, we are there at least 3 times a month

Momof3Labs
09-13-2008, 11:25 PM
We love Costco!! Their house-brand dog food is very high quality and is only $23 for a 40lb bag (the crap we used to buy at petsmart was up to $38-39 for a 40lb bag). With two big dogs who go through a bag a month, the savings easily covers our membership!

We also buy a lot of fresh fruit there in the summer, and cakes for birthdays. Plus plenty of other odds and ends. I gave up on their milk, though, when they switched to those odd-shaped gallons that always, always, always drip!!

kijip
09-14-2008, 02:13 AM
I don't seem to have any self control at Costco and considering that I am a serious cheapskate with most things, this is saying a lot. Something about the bulk and the environment is a successful marketing pitch to me. TOO successful. I spend less by not going there. When I would go, I would end up coming home with $30-200 worth of stuff we really did not need in the least bit. My brother and my friend will call me when they are going and ask if I need anything and if I am running low of my legit Costco needs list, I will have them pick the item up for me. The things we get are organic bread, shampoo, gummy vites, vanilla, maple syrup and olive oil. When they have their seafood sale, I will have them get me a bunch of wild salmon for the freezer. Everything else I can do better on elsewhere. Honestly, I'd say it is worth it...just be careful and shop with a list!
''

ShanaMama
09-14-2008, 02:31 AM
I don't seem to have any self control at Costco and considering that I am a serious cheapskate with most things, this is saying a lot. Something about the bulk and the environment is a successful marketing pitch to me. TOO successful. I spend less by not going there. When I would go, I would end up coming home with $30-200 worth of stuff we really did not need in the least bit. My brother and my friend will call me when they are going and ask if I need anything and if I am running low of my legit Costco needs list, I will have them pick the item up for me. The things we get are organic bread, shampoo, gummy vites, vanilla, maple syrup and olive oil. When they have their seafood sale, I will have them get me a bunch of wild salmon for the freezer. Everything else I can do better on elsewhere. Honestly, I'd say it is worth it...just be careful and shop with a list!
''

This is why we've resisted joining- because I think I'll spend more than I save. Well, DH thinks I'll spend more than I save. (He's right) ;)
I would love to shop there, for paper goods and paper towels/ tp alone. I don't like shopping at Walmart & Target's paper goods selection is not great or cheap. We'll probably end up joining eventually...
I have friends who buy everything there because of the return policy. I mean everything. Couches, electronics, appliances...

kransden
09-14-2008, 10:00 AM
It depends. When dd was a baby it was worth it for the diapers alone! After moving, we don't live close to one or their cheap gas. We also don't have the space to buy in bulk. So we have dropped the membership. If you have the space to store 24 rolls of toilet paper and will eat giant boxes of cereal it's great. I also found we bought extra stuff because it was a great deal. I must admit I do miss Costco at Xmas time though, they often would have great stuff.

egoldber
09-14-2008, 10:12 AM
I used to think it was worth it. I bought a lot of meat, produce, paper goods and diapers. I also did a lot of impulse buying though.

Now I am trying these days to make everything from scratch, use as little paper as I can, eat less meat and eat more organic. So I am finding that right now Costco isn't worth it. I am going about once every other month and not impulse buying things I don't really need.

The one closest to me doesn't sell gas, so that's not a draw for me.

randomkid
09-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Love Costco and totally think it's worth it! Items I buy regularly include gas, paper towels, TP, coffee for DH, fruit, water, food items, liquid soap, batteries, toiletries (Q-tips, etc). I like that I only have to buy things like Q-tips once a year or so. I've also bought Brothers All Natural Fruit Crisps there.

We used to buy Pull-Ups, but don't need them anymore. Every once in a while, I find good deals on clothing items. Have also purchased small rugs when I couldn't find anything I liked elsewhere.

We have also made large purchases there - cameras, vacuum cleaner, tires, etc.

Their baked goods are awesome! A giant apple pie is like $8. You can buy a huge pizza, already cooked, for $10. I get large containers of blueberries for $5 or $6 when a small container in the grocery store is $3.99. Same for raspberries - $3 something for a large container. For Halloween, I buy boxes with 42 bags of Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies for $10. A box of 12 at the grocery is $7!

Oh yeah, at Christmas time, they stock up on toys and have great deals. The bundled items usually have more in them and cost less than you find at Target, etc.

They also regularly put out coupon books - I have one now and need to make a trip!

I used to go weekly because I drove past it on the way to DD's dance class. She goes to a different school now, so I'm not over that way as often - I miss my weekly trips :crying:

FWIW, I think it's worth it, but only if you go regularly.

brigeet
09-29-2008, 02:37 AM
We buy things everyone else has mentioned, but we also got our car loan from Costco. It was very easy, done over the phone, and a good rate. The following day they delivered us a super check and we took it to the dealership where we found the cheapest Acura TSX (hubby emailed and called around dealerships first) and drove off with our new car. Almost too easy!
And I want to second the suggestion for buying glasses there. I found an excellent pair of sunglasses that my eye doctor wanted me to pay hundreds for for only $50.

Crayons
09-29-2008, 01:58 PM
We go to Costco about once a month. I've been a member for at least 15 years. Here is a list of what we generally buy, as needed:

Organic Cereal
Oatmeal
Organic Milk
Organic Chicken
Organic Ground Beef
Organic Bread
Organic Spinach
Babybel Cheese
Avocados
Multi-Grain Pretzels
Sugar/Flour for baking
Spices
Melons
Pineapple
Diapers
Wipes
Paper Towels
Toilet Paper
Laundry Detergent
Dishwasher Detergent
Cleaning Products
Maple Syrup
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Shampoo
Conditioner
Soap
Vitamins
Cetaphil
Lotion
Q-Tips
Tylenol
Bottled Water (when necessary)
Oh, and of course, the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. We have also bought a flat-screen TV, at least one computer, books, gifts, pots and pans, a coffee maker, toaster oven, microwave, scrapbooking supplies, picture frames, storage shelving, computer paper, pens, pencils, film, Halloween Candy, toys, a digital camera, a GPS system, a wine cabinet, and much more. Oh and I would say 80% of DH's wardrobe, 50% of DS's wardrobe, and 25% of my wardrobe was purchased there.

Any time we are having a party or entertaining, we get all our food, snacks, desserts, and party supplies, there.

We have also used them for tires, which they will then rotate for free.

I will only go with a list, and allow myself $25 of "fun money" while I am in there, to avoid the impulse spending. It also helps if DH isn't with me, since he tends to go for stuff we do not need!