PDA

View Full Version : Help with crib bumper articles

Octobermommy
09-13-2008, 03:06 PM
I know that crib bumpers are beautiful, they just seem to make the crib look put together. I, however, did not want to take the risk and chose to not use one with my dd 4 years ago nor my baby son. My sil is pregnant and I just saw her registry. I had mentioned that they were no longer recommended months ago and she said that she would not be using one. Fast forward to today and she registered for the worst possible one it seems. It is filled with "pillowy loft". It is basically like a huge pillow around the crib. I know that chances are everything would be fine but what if it isn't. Does anyone know any great articles that warn against the dangers and point out that beauty should not trump safety?

She is not very informed it seems in baby things. She had mentioned turning her baby ff at 6-9 months if they were "sturdy". She does not have the baby bargains book : )

Edited to correct spelling

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
09-13-2008, 03:22 PM
The first present I buy any newly pregnant mom is Baby Bargains. :) That way I can hope they will make more informed decisions. Give them the info and hope they use it!

I didn't use a bumpper at all with ds1 but bought a mesh one for ds2. The mesh bumper rocked. See if you can sell her on that!

I researched these links a long time ago so check and see if the links are still good. I have to run now but I can check later.

SIDS' organizations:
Bumper Pads
At this time, the use of bumper pads is not recommended and does not contribute to a safe sleep environment. As a best practice, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the National Center for Health and Safety in Child Care, the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the First Candle/National SIDS Alliance suggest that bumper pads be removed from the crib.

First Candle/National SIDS Alliance is convening a task force to examine the soft bedding issue, especially as it relates to bumpers. Data will be gathered on SIDS and accidental deaths associated with bumpers; a risk analysis associated with and without the use of bumpers will be conducted; and standards will be developed. This information will be shared through the ITS-SIDS Project as it becomes available.
http://www.nchealthystart.org/its-sidsnewsletter2004_1.html

"Examples of State Licensing and Regulation for Safe Sleep Practices and SIDS"
http://www.healthychildcare.org/SIDSstateregs.cfm

Yale-New Haven Hospital:
The safest place for an infant is in a crib or bassinet that meets current consumer protection standards. The mattress should fit snugly against the sides of the crib and the slats of the crib should be no more than two inches apart. Don’t put a pillow or stuffed animal in with a newborn; they don’t need it and it’s dangerous. You don’t even need bumper pads. Follow the link below for more crib safety tips.
http://www.ynhh.org/healthlink/pediatrics/pediatrics_11_00.html

Some good info on SIDS (causes and other ways, beyond a safe crib, to mimize the risk- like breastfeeding, not smoking...):
http://www.medformation.com/ac/mm_qdis.nsf/qd/nd0341g.htm

Melaine
09-13-2008, 03:59 PM
I haven't looked to closely at the mesh ones...but can I hop in and ask why use the mesh over none at all? I just say that because it isn't cushiony, right? Is it for looks or what? Just kind of confused as to the purpose of it...

srhs
09-13-2008, 04:12 PM
I just got the mesh one because I couldn't put DS in crib for 60 secs without him rolling over and getting a leg stuck.
I thought the testimonials on the site were bordeline scare tactic, but they might help you, OP.
http://www.breathablebaby.com/ Click Testimonials.
Does she know you've seen her registry? Is the bumper a la carte or part of a set? You could nonchalantly send her the link, saying, "Remember when I mentioned that cushy bumpers aren't recommended because of SIDS? Well, one of my friends was telling me she just ordered these, and I thought you might want to see them..."

KpbS
09-13-2008, 04:14 PM
The mesh bumpers keep the baby's arms and legs out from in between the slats of the crib yet are breathable in case baby's face is against the bumper.

Octobermommy
09-13-2008, 04:46 PM
I just got the invitation to the shower and it had the website where she registered for crib bedding and such. She does not know exactly that I have seen it. It is not a part of a set but it is scary looking it is so pillowy.

srhs
09-13-2008, 04:51 PM
I just got the invitation to the shower and it had the website where she registered for crib bedding and such. She does not know exactly that I have seen it. It is not a part of a set but it is scary looking it is so pillowy.

Want me to buy it so it's marked purchased and then return it in a few months? JOKING! sort of.

Octobermommy
09-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Want me to buy it so it's marked purchased and then return it in a few months? JOKING! sort of.

That sounds like a GREAT idea!

Melaine
09-13-2008, 08:42 PM
The mesh bumpers keep the baby's arms and legs out from in between the slats of the crib yet are breathable in case baby's face is against the bumper.

Oh gotcha....that makes sense.

Happy 2B mommy
09-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Just my story FWIW...

I was NOT going to use a bumper... at all. DD slept in her car seat/pnp the her first several months in our room. But once we moved her into the crib, sans bumper, we were in there every few minutes to remove a stuck arm or leg. Out of desparation, one night I put on the bumper that came with her set. *I* didn't sleep, but DD did.

A year and a half later, DD STILL sleeps in a crib with her bumper - she loves the animals on it. Granted, it's rather thin (the pillow ones are a concern if the child tries to use it as a step to get themselves out of the crib). But any bumper, except the mesh ones, is a concern for suffocation.

I wouldn't talk her out of the bumper. I would simply buy a mesh bumper for her to use during the 'dangerous, but every limb gets stuck' period. Inform her of the risks and let the rest of the bumper concerns go...

Oh, and DO give her a copy of the Baby Bargins book. All mommies have their 'thing'... mine is carseat safety, and I credit the book and these board for my particular child/baby obsession. I think I'm a better mom for it.

gatorsmom
09-14-2008, 01:07 AM
The first present I buy any newly pregnant mom is Baby Bargains. :) That way I can hope they will make more informed decisions. Give them the info and hope they use it!

[/FONT]

Yep, me too. As soon as I hear a mom is pregnant, I send her a copy of the Baby Bargains Book, What to Expect when you are expecting, and the Happiest Baby on the Block. I always get thank yous for those books.