PDA

View Full Version : Equestrian costume for girl??

SASM
09-14-2008, 02:03 AM
3.5yo DD1 is OBESSESSED with horses, and has been for quite some time!! Last week I asked her what she wanted to be for Halloween and she confidently replied "Fancy Horse Girl". I said "cowgirl" and she said "No, Mommy...FANCY HORSE GIRL!" Fast forward to yesterday, I asked her again what she wanted to be for Halloween and her reply was the same and, for some reason, would not go into more detail...UGH! DH thinks that it means formal equestrian outfit with jacket, hat, pants, and possibly boots. I think that she might be thinking of a sparkly riding outfit like one that she might have seen at a state fair horse show recently, although she really hasn't been a "sparkly" kind of girlie.

I'd like to be prepared for both. Any ideas out there from horse riding moms?? Is it possible to find DH's idea at a reasonable cost? I KNOW that she would wear this outfit throughout the year so I am not afraid to spend a little more on it? Any ideas for the sparkly thing??

TIA!!!

dcmom2b3
09-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Aww. That's so cute! I can't help you with the sparkly thing, but for your DH's interpretation, you might be able to get away with buying a relatively inexpensive pair of boots (rubber) and riding helmet from a tack shop and using "street clothes" for the rest of the outfit -- taupe leggings, white shirt, dark jacket.

For tack shops, it's been years, but I used to frequent Dover Saddlery and Dominion Saddlery (to my dad's chagrin). They might have websites that you could peruse. If you google your state and "pony club" you might find a club nearby that could point you to saddleries that stock small sizes (I'm assuming she's a 4 or so?). I don't know whether second hand is feasible -- riding stuff can get pretty cruddy and well worn -- but they also might have ideas about that, too.

I hope she has a blast.

kransden
09-14-2008, 09:38 AM
I would google some images on the internet of women on horses, rodeo queens, equestrian events, etc. and show them to her to get a better handle on what she wants. For my dd it would be pink cowgirl boots from Target, a big pink layered skirt and a sparkley top. Oh, and somtimes it is a tiara and sometimes it is a cowgirl hat lol!

octmom
09-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Aww. That's so cute! I can't help you with the sparkly thing, but for your DH's interpretation, you might be able to get away with buying a relatively inexpensive pair of boots (rubber) and riding helmet from a tack shop and using "street clothes" for the rest of the outfit -- taupe leggings, white shirt, dark jacket.

For tack shops, it's been years, but I used to frequent Dover Saddlery and Dominion Saddlery (to my dad's chagrin). They might have websites that you could peruse. If you google your state and "pony club" you might find a club nearby that could point you to saddleries that stock small sizes (I'm assuming she's a 4 or so?). I don't know whether second hand is feasible -- riding stuff can get pretty cruddy and well worn -- but they also might have ideas about that, too.

I hope she has a blast.

I saw some plastic dress-up helmets at the Dollar Tree recently. I think they were blue, meant to be a policeman's helmet, but you could easily spray paint it black and it might look close to a riding helmet, especially if you added a little rim of some sort (cardboard?) before spray painting it.

ETA: I'd get one of those pony heads on a stick things to complete the outfit.

hellokitty
09-14-2008, 09:55 AM
I think it wouldn't be too difficult to do a makeshift outfit if she was a traditional horse riding suit. If she wants the kind, like at the circus, where the girl rides the white horse type of thing, just get a gymnastics outfit and you can add some decorations to it, make a feathered headpiece for her, etc.. It sounds like either way, she will end up with a very cute and unique halloween costume. :)

fivi2
09-14-2008, 10:33 AM
I may be insane, but I really think I saw an equestrian outfit at Tuesday Morning not too long ago. It was on an end and not with the other costumes. Might be worth a call. Sounds really cute either way!

ETA: by outfit, I do mean dress up costume, not a real outfit.

MamaKath
09-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Check out Tractor Supply Company if you have one locally. They have clothing for kids and adults. They usually have lots of riding stuff. http://www.tractorsupply.com/

You could also try a local "Tack Shop". Jodpers (sp?) are the pants and are usually about $15 or less. Not sure about the rest, dd just wears hers with t-shirts when she rides.