PDA

View Full Version : Books that deal with big issues...

niccig
09-14-2008, 02:07 AM
DS is staring to ask some very difficult questions. I can handle ones about why do mean have beards and women do not . He now knows there's something called testosterone in his body and that men have more than women and that's what you need to grow a beard. But, he surprised me with a question of why do people have different colour skin. I wasn't expecting that from a 3.5 year old. I sort of fumbled an answer about differences in our skin that give the colour, and that it's like some people have blue eyes or brown eyes or green eyes. And that skin colour doesn't make a person any different.

I feel if I'd been prepared, I could have given a better answer. He's also been asking about people with disabilities. That I explain as Mummy needs glasses to see and some people need a cane to help with walking. Are there any books for kids that deal with issues like this. I think I'm going to get a lot more difficult to explain WHY questions.

Thanks.

pinkmomagain
09-14-2008, 09:08 AM
I don't have a specific book title for you, but I know that in the Children's Section of Barnes and Noble there is an area that has books that deal with things like, disabilities, sex, divorce....I guess "delicate topics." You could browse through that section. Sorry I don't have better advice....I'm sure you'll get some better replies.

kayte
09-14-2008, 10:53 AM
. But, he surprised me with a question of why do people have different colour skin.

Funny enough, Wondertime had this exact question in their how to answer section in the current issue (October). So know you are not alone. (It's on the last page should you want to check out their answer in the grocery store! )

As for help with future questions, I have seen a set of books at Border's called "I Wonder Why". There are several different ones, which seem to have a theme to them. I just looked through a couple quickly as I have a why asker too (though we aren't quite older enough for your kinds of whys! ). I made a note to get them for the future--maybe you could check them out.

I hope that helps! And good luck!