PDA

View Full Version : Wedding gift for couple travelling to US to get married?

wellyes
09-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Please help, ladies, I am stumped!

My husband's old college roommate is coming to town in a few weeks. He is from Singapore -- came to the US just for the college education, then returned home. He's coming back for a visit with his fiance (also a Singapore resident) and they will get married here during the trip.

Apparently they're also going to have a wedding in Singapore, but that one will be very tradition. This one is "just for fun".

My question is - what in the heck kind of gift should I give? They're flying back overseas a couple days after the wedding, so they obviously don't want material goods. Gifts cards -- eh, they are absolutely loaded and I could not afford a gift at the stores they will be shopping in (Jimmy Choo, Burberry, that sort of thing).

But it's a wedding and of course we'd like to give them a gift.

I've been thinking a charitable donation in their name but unfortunately I don't know his politics. We haven't seen him in almost 10 years.

Any ideas?

mommy111
09-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Visa or Amex gift card (easy to carry, they can use it here or at home in Singapore)
Does your DH have old pics from College? YOu can do a photobook with their old photos and photos from this trip, maybe?

Melbel
09-14-2008, 01:37 PM
How about some sort of food/wine/champagne type basket that they could enjoy while here in the US? An engraved silver/crystal frame? I agree, this is a tough one! However, I would be reluctant to do a charitable gift without them specifically stating that is what they want.

mytwosons
09-14-2008, 07:07 PM
How about a gift basket consisting of college logo items? His and her sweatshirts, hats, glassware, picture frame, etc., and throw in a bottle of nice champagne!

misshollygolightly
09-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Oooh yeah, I like the gift basket ideas. You could even have it delivered to their hotel room for an extra-classy touch! Another thought might be a gift card to a romantic restaurant so they could enjoy a special dinner while in the States. Not sure where they'll be staying, but I'm sure you know of some good restaurants in the area--or even an upscale chain like Ruth's Chris or something. Or maybe you could arrange for them to have a small professional photography shoot so they'll have some really nice photos of their US wedding or something? Good luck! It's thoughtful of you to realize that they probably won't have much room for lugging stuff back home.