PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Icelandic pool exp with kids.

trales
09-14-2008, 02:59 PM
We spent the last week in Iceland and went swimming in the warm/ hot outside pools everyday. They were so child friendly. First, the locker rooms, they are totally designed with children in mind. They had plastic IKEA high chairs and bumbos to put little ones in, changing stations everywhere and welcomed any pre-pubescent kiddo. I guess that was the most amazing part, they totally encouraged families. If you were a dad with your 7 and 10 year old with you, they go into the mens locker room, young boys go with moms into the womans. No one cared one bit, it was nice to see families together and no one equating nudity with sex in a puritanical american way. You have to be naked before going into the pools, everyone has to strip down and shower, there is a shower guard to make sure you wash all the right bits before you put your suit on.

It was nice to see families everywhere. All men and women's bathrooms had changing stations, there were high chairs in every restaurant (even the most remote).

The best was the strollers. Everyone has a Emmaljunga stroller, they park them outside of coffee shops and stores with sleeping kiddos in them, under the gore-tex rain covers. If you tried to do that here you would be arrested. Though Rekyjavic is a much safer city. In a small town we saw three in a row outside the grocery store.

I did not want to leave. What a great place.

CAM7
09-14-2008, 03:23 PM
That sounds sooooo wonderful!

I was thinking of taking the kids to Iceland for their first overseas vacation... they are 2.5 and 3.5 years old. Good to know that Iceland is 'kid friendly'. I wasn't too sure if Iceland would be a good choice for us until they were in grade school?

Where did you stay? How old are your kids? Did you get to take any tours or see any of the country or pretty much stay put in the city?

Our toddlers are a bit... energetic *cough*... so we don't take them anywhere too formal or quiet yet. Lol...

I'm assuming the best time of year to visit Iceland is June - October-ish?

SnuggleBuggles
09-14-2008, 05:44 PM
That sounds wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing your experience there! It sounds like a great trip!
Beth

trales
09-14-2008, 06:15 PM
CAM7 - I will send you a PM, we went through a travel agent who specializes in Iceland. We did not drive around as much as last time we were there and we spent a lot more time in pools b/c of DD who is 17 months, the upside was that we got to meet a lot of Icelanders this time.

I have been looking a real estate and jobs since we got back.

Raidra
09-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Oh, I'm so jealous! My grandfather was Icelandic, and while my dad and most of my aunts/uncles/cousins have been several times, I never have. It sounds like you had a great time, and it's good to know that if we ever save up enough for a nice vacation, that Iceland can still be in the running with our little kids.

kristenk
09-14-2008, 11:26 PM
I'd love to take DD to Iceland! I went with a friend in my single days. Iceland Air had "midweek madness" offers where you flew out and stayed maybe 3 nights during the middle of the week. Our flight and hotel were actually fairly inexpensive.

We did a few organized tours and liked them. The silliest thing is what really sticks with me. I guess it was the quality of the air, but the colors in the countryside were so vivid! It took me forever to figure it out, but I was having a hard time figuring out how far away something was out the window b/c I'm used to whatever I'm looking at getting a little bit fuzzier and less colorful as it gets farther away. There, it was like looking an miniature versions of everything. I don't think that made any sense at all, but I tried.:love-retry:

I'm glad you had a wonderful trip! I'll have to let DH know that Iceland might be a good first BIG trip for DD.

mdb78
09-14-2008, 11:53 PM
It sounds like you had a fabulous time. :) Thanks for the kid friendly info! I love travelling and seeing new places. After I turned 8 and my brother was 3, our parents said "no more Disneyworld" and always took us to a different place each summer for vacation. (We still went to Disneyworld too, but usually for a few days visit- ok, i'll stop rambling)... I hope dh and I can enjoy a family trip to Iceland one day! :D

ShanaMama
09-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Tracey, you have the coolest life! I love reading your posts.

CAM7
09-15-2008, 01:56 PM
The silliest thing is what really sticks with me. I guess it was the quality of the air...

Yes! We had a layover at the airport in Rekyjavic... and I could tell the difference in air quality even from within the building! It was a weird evening though since there was a big rain storm and the rain wasn't coming down straight...but actually swirling and making helicopter patterns on the tarmac.

When we came back for our return trip it was dark at 9:15am! This was in December though and we were coming back from a trip in London.

I'm thinking we should take the babies for a trip to Iceland next summer. If anyone has any good travel links or any info let me know!

maestramommy
09-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Tracey, it sounds like a wonderful trip! I would've never thought of Iceland as a destination, but now you've got me curious. I'll have to check it out:)

caleymama
09-15-2008, 03:16 PM
That sounds awesome :). I'd love to hear more about your trip.

Also, how's your DH doing/feeling? I've been thinking about him and hoping you found some good medical help.